ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smashed up my 182

Orange 182
I'm so gutted its untrue :(

I was driving back from Milton Keynes last night and met up with my mate at Corely services on the M6. We left and we were just about to join the M6 toll when it started to rain really heavy (road was already soaked).

As we joined the toll road I noticed the spray was terrible and my mate (in his civic) slowed down in front of me. We were both in the inside lane when I just felt my steering go light and then the car just lurched to the right. I tried turning into it but it was pointless, felt like i was on ice. I then hit the barrier (which I don't remember) and ended up taking off and landing in the middle lane. My mate said my car was in the air and when it landed my nearside back wheel flew off...

The amazing thing is I'm completely unscathed. After a moment I jumped out of the car as I thought I was going to get hit by a lorry or something but some guy who had slowed down in his passat got hit from behind by a woman in a golf. It was so surreal while I just stood in the hard shoulder staring at my car... what a mess!

Still cant believe I walked away from this ok. I found my wheel about 40 yards from my car and there were bits of it all over the motorway (the offside backwheel had also come away but was stuck in the arch). The central barrier looked like it had been hit by a bus, not my little motor!!

I think my car will be a write off. I'm so gutted because I've loved it since day 1 and have really looked after it like no other car. Every single time I'd driven it, it had made me smile.

Anyway sorry for the long post... just keep going over and over what happened so I thought I'd try writing it down. Here's a pic of my car after it had been dragged onto hard shoulder (appreciate it if someone could post the actual picture)

http://www.peacher.net/pete.jpg

Breaks me heart to see it like that...

Drive safely everyone.

Pete.

Megane Mk4
ouch .. that looks very sore :(

Heart goes for yer mate .. Hope you sort it out and hope you get another ;)

LY 182
Holy hell, so gutted for you mate... so was it just surface water that threw the car off?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Awww...Mate! Thats terrible...But u've made a very valid point!!! Word of warnin to everyone...be careful!

Glad your ok!

320d
Sounds like you aqua-plained

Looks like its defo a right off to me

The car can be replaced you can't

Hope it all gets sorted soon

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
harsh fella, coolio you are ok though!

just think it could have been much worse, but thankfully its ony the 182 thats hurt...

take it easy

Orange 182
Cheers. Yeah, everyone keeps saying "at least you're ok"... Scariest thing thats ever happened to me, I thought I was a gonna when I seen the barrier coming towards me.

Yeah surface water was the cause. Completely aqua-planed and I had no grip what-so-ever. The worrying thing was how quickly the car just turned.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Really gald your ok mate. Its sh*t when things like that happen.

Will defo be a write off that mate.

Know its early days, but you gonna get another???

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bad sh*t m8 - so sorry for you. I've always felt that the 182 was so sure-footed - you must have hit a really bad patch of water.... :dapprove:

Posted the pic as per your request.....

D.

pete.gif

Orange 182
Thanks again for the comments.

We were doing 70. When we first got onto the toll road my mate had put his foot down but due to the terrible conditions he slowed down straight away (i was following quite some distance behind). Like I say we were on the inside lane and the car felt absolutely fine... but suddenly it just happened.

I'd always had so much faith in the car and my confidence as a driver (thanks to the clio) had increased during the last 18 months of ownership. Honestly fellas, just take it so easy in this sh*tty weather because last night there was nothing I could have done. Obviously i could have been going slower, but 70 in the rain on a straight stretch of motorway is not what I consider excessive.

p..s Cheers to DarrenS for posting pic

182 Full Fat
Have you got Renault underwrting insurance???(think that is the rough name!) If so at least you will get the remainder of the invoice value of your car back. Main thing is you are in one piece!

Cam

182 Cup
nelson182 said:
Have you got Renault underwrting insurance???(think that is the rough name!) If so at least you will get the remainder of the invoice value of your car back. Main thing is you are in one piece!

Think its called total loss cover.
Hey Trail you were lucky to walk away from that!!! Feel so gutted for you mate but at the end of the day its only a peice of metal with wheels and im sure you'll be ok gettin another one.

GR7

Shiny red R32
pete.gif

I am so sorry for you! :dapprove: That is awful but you could have been killed so thank goodness you are OK!

Renaultsport 220T
s**t, ther must have been a lot of standing water for it to aquaplane like that.

At least you are not hurt.

:eek:

Orange 182
I've just spoken to the guy at a local garage where my car (or what remains of it) has been delivered to. He's only looked at it briefly, but pretty much confirmed that it won't be recovering from the accident.

I'm hopefully going to buy another 182. Depends if i can afford the insurance as i have no idea how this will affect my premium. Thankfully I had my 8 years no claims protected but as I only renewed my policy recently it means I'll be driving for the rest of the duration without protected no claims. Mind you, I'll be driving like a proper granny in future, no matter what the weather!

Vee dub
Ouch

Very sorry to hear this.... so easy to assume your safe on a motorway in the wet.. how things can change!

Hope all goes well and glad your not injured fella

Tom

jzr

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
is that were u hit it in the back ground of the pic. it looks all bent

Pikey Truck
:(Very Sorry to hear this mate!! Glad ur unhurt!!

I'm not too sure it will affect ur premium too much... as its bad driving conditions!!

Orange 182
I noticed the barrier in that photo but it seemed much worse than that in real life. Also my car was actually much further down the road in that photo as it took them a while to guide it onto the hard shoulder due to the messed up steering and missing wheel.

Here's a few more photos taken on my phone (the 2nd one gives an idea of the back wheel missing as its leaning over so much).

http://www.peacher.net/pete.html

If ayone wants to post them, cheers again. Also, if you could brighten them up a bit? I dont mean add flowers and cute animals ;-), a bit brighter might show more detail.

Pete.

Last edited:
  Clio 197
The car did it's job...

...and kept YOU safe.

Glad you're ok.

Remember, it's only a car... and in a few years it would have been scrapped anyway...

Get behind the wheel again ASAP, you don't want your confidence to be ruined by a freak incident.

Oms :)

225 & Audi S4
Glad u r unhurt 182 is a good car good choice hope u can solve out ins. soon n have a new strong 182 again :(

K20 EG Hatch
s**t! really gutted for you mate!
as omar said, you gotta get straight back into it so it dont knock ur confidence!

Mini Cooper S sport
Yeah, Omar has a good point, the car saved you from getting hurt. I'm amazed it's so crumpled but you escaped without a scratch, which is the main thing.You were very lucky (well, obviously unlucky that it happened at all) but it just shows how easily accidents can happen.Hope you get a replacement car soon, and get back on the road asap.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
OMG...... thats real bad.

I was not so far away from this accident..... i was coming bak on the M6 last night.

Motorway was jam packed.... and you even made all the local radio stations. They did announce a nasty crash involving a Clio just past Junct 3 of the M6.

Took me an hour to get from junction 2 -3 (just before corley services)

Glad ur ok mate :)

Clio 182
s**t that is bad luck, glad you're ok though. I've aquaplanned twice in the last month, both on motorways, at 73mph and 68mph, I was lucky though even though the steering wheel jerked out of my hands.