ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped bolt isofix bar

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Typically two came out fairly easily and the third screwed out a bit and then snapped..

20210505_204102.jpg

Not wanting to heat up the painted sheet metal too much would an extractor set like this work?

ae235.jpeg

Or otherwise grind two sides flat and put a spanner on it?

Sadly don't have welding equipment.. Any hints and tips appreciated!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The bolt holes run all the way through, so they rust up underneath the car.

Spray some penetrant spray or ATF/power steering fluid down it over the course of a few days, then use one of those bolt extractors.

I've had some success with the Irwin branded ones.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I figured as much, seems similar to the beam bolts!

Thanks, I'll see if I can get the irwin extraction set.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For the next 5 days, soak it top and bottom with penetrating fluid every morning and every night.

if you can, get some heat on it.

then use a stud extractor.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think you'll be lucky to have that out without some heat, id be tempted to get a nut welded to the top, the heat will break it free without excessively heating anything else and then you can just unwind it. Ive always put through bolts back in covered in copperslip, as this is a right PITA when it happens. best of luck.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I can put a blowtorch on it for heat, but don't have welding equipment. Wouldn't mind buying a welder but for the little use it'll get it's a PITA to store!

I've looked underneath and think it's hidden behind the fuel tank so can't wirebrush either.

I'll put some heat on it and soak it in plusgas over the next couple of days, irwin set will be here Tuesday so see if I can get it out next week.

Just realised I've got some normfest super crack ultra ice rust remover, try that as well, just for the name

Thanks guys!

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
I removed my brothers back seats in his Clio last week and the same thing happened. Took a grinder to it and ground it flush.

Interested to see how you get on with the extractors though as mine has also been snapped by the pervious owner.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Mole grips, wd40 and lots of heat from underneath

I'm pretty sure I've snapped at least 10 when breaking cars but thought absolutely nothing of it... then I snapped one in a car I need to use again so had to actually remove it 😂