ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SO... SHOULD I SPEND ALL THIS MONEY ON THE CUP......?

Clio 172 Cup Edition
Hi, I recently posted an introduction thread as I'm new to the fourum.
Within the thread i mentioned the plans for my 53 plate 172 cup track car project (62,000 miles on the clock).
the car is currently completely standard, apart from both cup packs of course.
I have now compiled a list of prices for all the parts/work i need and have come up with a grand total of how much the build will cost me.
I am an experianced engine technician so am lucky enough to be able to complete the vast majority of the works myself.
the list is as follows;

1.Cam belt kit, Dephaser, and locking tools - £330
2. Complete service kit - £100
3. Gaz fully adjustable suspension - £550
4. Brakes (brembo disks and pads all round) - £300
5. dot 5 brake fluid and gearbox fluid - £100
6. tyres (unsure which one at the mo) - £300
7.powdercoat wheels (white)- £200
8. polybush kit (rough estimate, would like to do full car)- £300
9.bucket seats (good condition used cobra monaco lightweight seats) - £250
10.harnesses (rough estimate) -£150
11. 4 point weld in cage with cross over (fitted and painted White) - £400
12. steering wheel £150
13. stainless maifold and de-cat pipe - £200
14. pvc windows front and back with square slide hatch - £200

Rough Total = £3500

All the parts will be getting ordered in september when i get back from my honeymoon with the mrs. The plan is to start married life with a fairly decent project to sink my teeth into and keep myself busy, and also to have fun with the mrs/friends when we can at Oulton park (round the corner from our house).

The question i ask is...... is it worth the spend on this car??

The car will owe me about £4500 in total when completed.

I know renaultsport clios seem to be the weapon of choice at track days at the mo, and i do realy like the look of mine also.

Is £4500 too much for the finnished product?? and will my weapon give me enough smiles per £££??

any feedback is much apreciated.

Cheers, Shaun.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Unless it's literally falling apart right now, does it really need all of that?

If not, just service it and drive it as it is?

I kept my 172 Cup standard (apart from a little weight removal) throughout it's 120k mile life with me and on multiple trackdays it was hugely capable and lots of fun.

Clio 172 Cup Edition
Unless it's literally falling apart right now, does it really need all of that?

If not, just service it and drive it as it is?

I kept my 172 Cup standard (apart from a little weight removal) throughout it's 120k mile life with me and on multiple trackdays it was hugely capable and lots of fun.

The car is just going to be a toy for me mate, mostly for track days with the occasional fast road outing on a sunday. So i can afford to loose all the creature comforts i would need for daily use.

Clio 172 Cup Edition
Also I think you could save a fair amount on your estimated prices.

Cheers, i will be posting a few threads when it comes to the crunch and i'm spending the money. I'm sure you guys will point me in the right direction to save some cash.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
You want to get a car to show standard and then track it? That doesn't make sense. It's either a cheap shed to track or a car to keep mint.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A well sorted and maintained RS Clio in standard spec will give you plenty of smiles per mile on track (and road) in my opinion. Only you can really decide whether or not the expense is worth it. Too many folks sink several times the value of the car into modifications and 'track' prep... and it never sees a track and get sold shortly after.

If you haven't already, I would recommend finding an owner and asking for a passenger ride / drive at a trackday. You can then perhaps judge for yourself whether or not (or to what level) you think you'd need to modify it. :)

Clio 172 Cup Edition
You want to get a car to show standard and then track it? That doesn't make sense. It's either a cheap shed to track or a car to keep mint.

I'm a bit OCD with my vehichles mate, if i could afford it, i would go full on racing.... so thats the standard i'm hoping for.

If it is mint, keep it how it is.

If you're looking to lob out £3500 - but another one for £1500 & track that, saving yourself £2000
Just what I was thinking!

Clio 172 Cup Edition
A well sorted and maintained RS Clio in standard spec will give you plenty of smiles per mile on track (and road) in my opinion. Only you can really decide whether or not the expense is worth it. Too many folks sink several times the value of the car into modifications and 'track' prep... and it never sees a track and get sold shortly after.

If you haven't already, I would recommend finding an owner and asking for a passenger ride / drive at a trackday. You can then perhaps judge for yourself whether or not (or to what level) you think you'd need to modify it. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll get to know people on here eventualy and hopfuly will be able to sort somthing out in the neer future. that is a grat idea.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
best way to avoid this issue is just start spending, then make this thread afterwards with a shocked and dismayed look on your face about how much....and heres the no going back crux.......MORE you've still got to spend now you're half way done

that's how I roll

hence the missus tries to throttle me daily and my bank manager is a tad.....rouge

Clio 172 Cup Edition
best way to avoid this issue is just start spending, then make this thread afterwards with a shocked and dismayed look on your face about how much....and heres the no going back crux.......MORE you've still got to spend now you're half way done

that's how I roll

hence the missus tries to throttle me daily and my bank manager is a tad.....rouge

That sounds like the way I should have gone mate.

Its just I look at other peoples build threads and think... I WANT THAT!!!

And i'm fortunate enough to be in a possision where I can buy everything in one go in september.... I think your reply has just made my mind up. Cheers Coops

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Looking forward to this thread. If you fancy a go in any of mine your more than welcome.

Clio 172 Cup Edition
I was thinking you might have one already done you could sell him chi

An awful lot of the fun is actualy about the build itself for me mate, so wouldn't be interested in buying a ready made one.
Nice idea for somone less handy on the snappers though so thanks for the thought :)

Clio 172 Cup Edition
I've got a few higher spec for less I can sell u in bits if you like..

As in you'll break parts off yours and sell to me? It cant be until september but aslong as everything is in good condition then I'm definatly intrested. My budget for parts is £3500 so if I can get better spec/more goodies by going 2nd hand then happy days.
What sort of things on my list do you have and extras Chi?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I ment I'd sell you the car in pieces to put back together but I could prob put don't decent parts together mate.

Clio 172 Cup Edition
I ment I'd sell you the car in pieces to put back together but I could prob put don't decent parts together mate.

Ahh right ok, well I've become slightly attached to this one now, and dont have room for a donor car on my drive. I'll certainly buy any goodies you have to offer when the time comes though. Cheers, I appreciate it.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Just sold my RB182 with all new gaz coilovers, 2118's wrapped in ad08s, ktec ultra stealth.. completely stripped. .

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Only you can decide if it's worth it really mate! My friends and family think I am mental and so do I sometimes but it's a hobby and I really enjoy making the car look and feel exactly how I want it, it's all part of the fun!

It all comes down to what you want from it really, my only advise is don't budget.. You will never stick to it anyway, trust me lol!

Just as long as you know you won't get your money back...fair enough. It would be a right weapon after you've done all that though. I've just done a track day at mallory today in standard car so I think my spending spree (similar list to yours) is about to start!!!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
If you have £3500 sitting spare that your happy to throw at a car that will essentially more than likely sit idle the vast majority of the time, then it may well be worth it. Although if its going to be mint once done, tracking it wouldn't be my choice.

Then on the other hand, if your having to ask your already doubting yourself so.........not worth it.

I think what I'd do is spend 500 quid on brakes, fluid and a service. 500 quid on wheels, tyres and a steering wheel.

Then 2500 quid on having fun every single weekend on track. Really... You'll get round 2 seconds a lap quicker if that, but unless you're competing who cares?! Just have fun.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I think the point the OP is making though is he will enjoy the challenge and process of actually building the thing too. I'm of a similar mind set, its not all about the actual end result of being on track.

lots of fun is in the speccing, modifying, changing, building, revising, improving and purchasing of shiny pointless stuff to bolt in/on and go 'oooooooo' at.

actually driving a clio 'project' is always a let down as they are fine standard ;)

Clio 172
You wont be the first and you will 100% not be the last person to sink 2-3 times the value of the car into modifying it. If the build is half the fun for you then crack on and don't listen to those saying its a waste of money. End of the day, money is there to be spent and if its getting spent on something that make you happy, its no one else's business.

I have no idea what my old 106 Rallye owed me after the 2 years of weekend tinkering and rebuilding, and it doesn't bother me that I probably spent 2 times the value of the car in my ownership because of the friends I made and the Fun I had doing it all. :)

Jack

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like a reasonable spec for a luke warm trackday clio.

One thing confusing me though is you say you have a 172 cup, and that it has "both cup packs" do you mean someone has retro fitted the 60mm bolt spacing 182 cup suspension to it?

Some of your prices seem to be a bit over estimated.
ie brakes for example. Standard Brembo front discs and pads are only about 70 quid, genuine rears area about £100 for discs and pads.
Unless you mean upgrading the brakes

Listerine & Poledo
Be better off buying a track-ruined MX-5.

Out of your estimates, you'd still have about 3"k left to spend on actual track driving, tuition, transport and buckets of discs, pads, oil and tyres.

Enough to keep you doing laps long after The clio would have spat it's 3rd gearbox.