ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something that does a better job than a Clio?

Punto GT
to be honest, the only other car that i can think of in a simalar price range is the 306 gti6...

this is comparing it against a 172 cup...0-120 cup is ahead by a by about a cars lengh...but the 306 has a better top end as the clios limiter kicks in @ 140.

Punto GT
by the speedo...

this is a standard 172 cup tho...& the same thing happened to a friends one im telling you, a standard cup cant do more that 140 lol...

^ you can take the gti to 140 and practially roll a fag and adjust your seat at the same time.

In the clio it feels like your going to blow down the road like a bin lid in a gale

53 Clio's & counting
oh they can matey, there will be a hundred photo's shortly i expect lol

my ph1 pulls 143 @ 6500 rpm

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
^ you can take the gti to 140 and practially roll a fag and adjust your seat at the same time.

In the clio it feels like your going to blow down the road like a bin lid in a gale

FPMSL!! I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels VERY unsafe doing over 110 in a Clio.

53 Clio's & counting
but thats the phase 1 tho man...

phase1s in all cars are always faster...

small example: Punto GT's

GT1 136bhp

GT3 131bhp

lol well thats not always correct but i get what you mean fella

Honestly it shouldnt be hitting the limiter at 140 unless you have a really accurate speedo

Family Bus
I get so sick of the 'Clios/French car's a shite' blah blah.

Whatever anyone says about the build quality etc, they are fantastic cars, for the price range and speed. I can't think of another car in the same genre that excells the Clio.

immaculate clio 172
My point exactly mate, and look at the price difference between mine and a Type R

MK5 Golf GTi, which he says is faster than mine, even though every time i pass him he had 'heat soak' or is loosing boost blah blah....

Id love a MK5 GTi, but again you cant get one for £2000
I just sold a mk5 golf gti and got my 2002 ph2 172 due too being sick of huge finance etc and il say the gti is a lovely car but my 172 would be all over it and so much more fun to drive and 172 is worth a qaurter of the gti lol gti = too sensible

Renaultsport 200
Mk5 golf GTI is a long way from a performance car. it's a nice modern car, with some sporty looking bits, and a badge. It's not fast in any way, and they weigh about 6 tonnes.

I could have had modern cars many times, but they have no character

Ive driven one for long periods (my dads) and I agree it has no character, but it is quick.

Alright, its not going to set your hair on fire but neither does the 172. What it does have though is oodles more usable power day to day.

Press the loud pedal and in any gear it will pick up. It sounds pretty good too.

Admittedly though it doesnt take bends like little clios.

53 Clio's & counting
get a loan and buy a dc5 or CTR/197

Original quote:

'I know there are better cars out there for more money so the rule is for around £2000 something that offers EVERYTHING the Clio has'

:rolleyes:

how about if you cant keep on the thread line i asked then dont post. thank you

320d
There's nothing in it really. A standard VTS will happily keep up with a 172 around a track, it's just the straights that the Clio would have the edge.

I was refering to the 7 seconds to 60 and under 18 to 100 thing mate.

VTS's actually handle better according to top gear at the time :quiet:

53 Clio's & counting
was suggesting that there was not really anything that would compare for the money

Doesnt really read that way matey

I was refering to the 7 seconds to 60 and under 18 to 100 thing mate.

VTS's actually handle better according to top gear at the time :quiet:

meh, swings and round abouts lol, some will say the clio's better, some will say saxo, i think they both handle brilliantly and i would have one if i could only fit in the flippin thing lol

53 Clio's & counting
CTR handles better than both of them anyway.

Lol personally i think the CTR is quote floaty, after doing a few hard miles in one i found it grips really well, but is a bit drab to drive. but im a clio owner your a type r owner so we could be at this all day so lets get back on topic , the CTR cant be in the equasion as they are tyo expensive

Subaru Impreza P1
I'm just referring to what Tiff says.

Tiff Needel cant drive for s**t, there is a difference between handling and grip, you have driven my car and i yours and i would say mine handles better because the CTR's steering is to light.

But credit where its due its got a cracking gear box, drives really well and just as quick in a straight line but i dont think it handles better.

So f'uck you stewart.

Renaultsport 200
To the op... You have got the perfect car now for your needs.

Don't waste money on a car thats isnt a step up that is only (probably) going to cause you grief. (that is if you are thinking of changing)

Your mates don't know what they are talking about. End of story imo

53 Clio's & counting
To the op... You have got the perfect car now for your needs.

Don't waste money on a car thats isnt a step up that is only (probably) going to cause you grief. (that is if you are thinking of changing)

Your mates don't know what they are talking about. End of story imo

Im not planning on selling mate don't worry :) its just an intertesing subject ,hoping il be able to fit a pushchair in the back then it will be fine lol

E90 320d M Sport
CTR handles better than both of them anyway.

Controversial ^^

I think my old Saxo handles better than my 172. The 172 seems to roll a tad more but it sticks better than the Saxo due to the low profile tyres.

Both handle very well!

MCS R56
Tiff Needel cant drive for s**t, there is a difference between handling and grip, you have driven my car and i yours and i would say mine handles better because the CTR's steering is to light.

But credit where its due its got a cracking gear box, drives really well and just as quick in a straight line but i dont think it handles better.

So f'uck you stewart.

Eh, okay.

Ex F1 driver...

53 Clio's & counting
Lol yeah i think you would be lucky to get near 30 mpg and the 4wd system is supposed to be very unreliable from what i have heard.

So really its only the Rallye then lol, will they pull past 140?

black gold 182
from 1st hand experience.....no lol. i was racing a civic type r at the time - i kept up til 130 ish then the rallye slowed right up and creeped to 140. the 182 probably is quicker up there.
the sound the rallye made was sexual though and it was so rare - i got car-jacked whilst driving it after only 3 months lol. peterborough s**t whole!!!

53 Clio's & counting
from 1st hand experience.....no lol. i was racing a civic type r at the time - i kept up til 130 ish then the rallye slowed right up and creeped to 140. the 182 probably is quicker up there.
the sound the rallye made was sexual though and it was so rare - i got car-jacked whilst driving it after only 3 months lol. peterborough s**t whole!!!

s**t not good mate!

Love the noise, they always sound like they running t/bodies :)

i would have thought they would have a better top end, more aerodynamic

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Just changed from a mk4 astra turbo mate. Can be had for a shade over £2000 now. Although not a good one i'll admit.

30 mpg all day long (till you press the right pedal)
7 seconds to 60
comfortable for longer journeys
not too expensive to run although more goes wrong IMO with a turbo engine.

Still the clio beats them on value alone though. So a little bit out of its league.