ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Cup In bits
Re: Namakubi Clio 172 Cup "track project"

Nice so far, what kind of catch tank is that and what have you done with the crankcase breather? I have been told that outlet from the rocker cover that you have feeding to catch tank can be left open, no oil comes out???

Nice so far, what kind of catch tank is that and what have you done with the crankcase breather? I have been told that outlet from the rocker cover that you have feeding to catch tank can be left open, no oil comes out???

I purchased it from ebay. I never had the crank case filter on and vapour drops was still being forced out by air pressure(?) from the IM.

Here it is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-2LT...CarParts_SM&hash=item3f19d4a577#ht_500wt_1127

I wish I went for this one that has three inlet/outlets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAFFLED-2...CarParts_SM&hash=item2eac26b14c#ht_500wt_1127

Went to Snetterton last week for a Opentrack track day, was the first time the Clio had been taken on track.

I am very impressed. I do however need to sort my camber out and get coiilovers.

Good to see a few other Clios on track too, anyone from here?

Here are a few pics

7663905100_0b43220cf5_b.jpg

7664393946_57cff21351_b.jpg

7664396802_82ae9d97ab_b.jpg

7664400108_6054559463_b.jpg

7664479250_876e16285b_b.jpg

7664529592_4e8b571e24_b.jpg

7667965716_23ed19774f_b.jpg

7669757628_c885ffe26c_b.jpg

7669764132_e8468ae411_b.jpg

7670663048_04114d060e_b.jpg

The ones I had on before was smaller, made the mistake of ordering the wrong ones, but they did look cool, but could not see anything out of the near side due to A pillar obscuring the mirror. These ones seem fine/

Regarding the mirrors, I need to strengthen the backing plates as there was movements at high speed. The actual mirrors seemed fine.

172monaco*&*passat

acoustic valve system,& carbon canister did you need to blank anything of as im wanting my other half to do the same?? thanks michelle..

acoustic valve system,& carbon canister did you need to blank anything of as im wanting my other half to do the same?? thanks michelle..

im running ITB so the AV system was redundant anyway. So was easy just taking it out.

Same for the carbon canister. I just tied it all up in the wheel arch. I left the vent pipe open to vent vapour (think thats what is does). It may throw a fault code in the ECU but it wont light up the EML on the dash irrc.

More parts to go on that I already have

4 x 16mm Huncentric spacers
Braided brake lines all round
Rear camber shims
Fire extinguisher system
RBF600 brake fluid
Passenger bucket seat with harness
V straps to convert to 6 point harness.

Parts to order and fit
Coilovers
Perspex front side widows
6 point roll cage
2 x kill switches
Solid front top mounts
Front camber bolts
GRP bonnet
Lightweight battery

GT86, 335, Westfield

Any video of your trackday?

Looks like a Gopro on the dash in one photo.

Any video of your trackday?

Looks like a Gopro on the dash in one photo.

Both was a total fail. The GoPro was set too low, so could not see any of the track, only me faffing about and the iphone was recording in Harrys lap timer mode however its really shaky as the mount was a fleabay one. I will log onto a computer and post the link.

Work on the Clio has started up again.

Rain was set so I put up the Gazebo and got the car ready

IMG_1544.jpg

First thing was to finish off with the brake cooling. So I started by cutting some small pieces of Nimbus heat shield down and attached them to one of the wishbone support brackets using Jubilee clips. This looks spot on there is no fouling with the wheels or brake lines.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Next was to fit the Spax RSX coilovers, these was pretty much a straight fit and no real dramas. I added the KTEC top mounts, front camber bolts and rear camber shims at the same time. I also added 16mm spacers all round. Took me the best part of a day.

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

The top struts need fixing to the body by drilling three holes.

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Coilovers on and a quick trip to AMD to get a emergency 4WLA done.

201892_10151113203568701_2052081642_o.jpg

The coilovers I have set to 8 clicks from the softer setting (so midrange) and seem pretty good to me. I have already tested them on track and im more than happy with the set up.

At Brands a few nights ago, playing with another Cup. Must say I am pretty impressed with how she handled. I am uploading some footage, so will post up shortly.

IMG_4455.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Car looks great, top work.

Where did you get your coilovers from if you dont mind me asking?
Im after a set of coilovers for my PH1 but mines a road car.

Scott.

***UPDATE***

Finally got round to fitting the fire extinguisher system.

You will see I went through the bulkhead above the driver.

I have used cable ties for the nozzle spray, this will be swapped over for a metal Bracket, as cable ties are not recommended.

Nozzle spares are aimed at fuel rail and driver lower torso

Will let the pics do the talking

DSC04092.jpg

DSC04091.jpg

DSC04090.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

DSC04086.jpg

DSC04085.jpg

DSC04082.jpg

DSC04084.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

Cup In bits

Nice update, I am just getting round to ordering and fitting perspex and fire extinguisher to mine so good info.

Few questions, Where did you get the windows? are the rears thermo formed?
What was the length of the extinguisher pull cords and do you only have two nozzles?

Nice update, I am just getting round to ordering and fitting perspex and fire extinguisher to mine so good info.

Few questions, Where did you get the windows? are the rears thermo formed?
What was the length of the extinguisher pull cords and do you only have two nozzles?

The windows was ordered from acwmotorsportplastics (Around £170ish inc CS discount). Not sure if the rears are or not... http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_64

The Fire Ext system came with 2 x 6ft pull cords, I cut these down to fit, so I reckon 4ft cables will be enough, however I did route mine across dash. Pack comes with 2 nozzles, see here http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/plumbed-in-systems/lifeline-club-fire-marshal-2-25-ltr
I also purchased two bulk head fittings http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...feline-bulkhead-fitting-for-extinguisher-pipe

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Looking good mate. Was there much weight saving on the polycarbs vs the lighter cup glass? I had acw polycarbs in my fiesta rs turbo. There good value :)

Looking good mate. Was there much weight saving on the polycarbs vs the lighter cup glass? I had acw polycarbs in my fiesta rs turbo. There good value :)

It is a good weight saving, its not just the cup glass, but all the glue that holds the rears in and the electric motors in the doors that come out too, so its about 5kg in total. I never weighed these items, but a chap on here did (search) and it was worth it.

One of the rear windows I took a Stanley blade and a Gerber to it...took me about 2 hours to remove it, second window I took a hammer to it, took me about 30 seconds to remove lol (just tape both sides of the window up). If your cutting it out, its best to do it on a warm day as it will come out easier.

Looking good, might want to check your extinguisher "T" connector as the feed has to come from the bottom of the "T". Hits the horizontal bit and you get 50% going each way. The way you have it 90% will go to the bay and it'll be only back pressure forcing it out over the driver. Has to be pointing at the bulk head\feet area too. Stopping the flames from reaching the driver - aiding his escape.

Couple of views of what I'm trying to explain.

03032012542.jpg

03032012544.jpg

Ahh thanks for that, did not know that about the T-connector, will adjust this soon. I thought it had to aim at the feet/foot well area as well, but read that lower torso is/was acceptable. Suppose flame start at the base, so that's the best area. Thanks for the help.

Any pics of your engine bay nozzle?

Thought I had, will get one and post tomorrow or day after.

Just looked at yours again and mine is in the same position, just with an alloy bracket.

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

It works out around 50-60% weight saving. 2 front polycarbs weigh the equivalent of one piece of front glass. I weighed everything on mine when it was removed.
I've got the weights written down at home for the glass vs polycarbs.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

It works out around 50-60% weight saving. 2 front polycarbs weigh the equivalent of one piece of front glass. I weighed everything on mine when it was removed.
I've got the weights written down at home for the glass vs polycarbs.

I started to weight the parts that I took out of the car as reference. I used a pair of old fishing scales, so I hope their still calibrated.

2.2kg Both Window motors complete
2 kg Both wing mirrors complete
2.8kg Tool Kit
3.5kg Front side window
3 kg Rear side window (including rubber edging)
4.8kg Back bench lower
9kg Back bench upper
3.2 Both front seat belt mechanisms
18.4 Single front seat
3.2kg Steering wheel with airbag
1.6kg Head unit
2kg Parcel shelf
2kg Roof lining
8kg Both front door cards
7.5kg Carpets
0.8kg Bulkhead heat shield
2.3kg Isofix bar
1.5kg Carbon Canister with bracket
1.5 Acoustic valve
0.8kg Foglights
2kg Nuts, bolts and bits
6kg Bag of further bits (Speakers, sun visors, rear seat belt rolls).

Total weight saving of 113.4kg right there.

I never even got to weight the other stuff that I binned, reckon there was at least another 10kg of plastic and sound deadening.

Car shall be corner weighted in a few weeks prior to Spa, will let you guys know the outcome.

Got round to making up door cards for the fronts.

So I purchased some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+FOAMALUX+Foam+PVC+1220mm+x+610mm+(4ft+x+2ft) I saw them used on a VLN racer at the Ring so gave me a few ideas.

2 sheets of this was enough to do both sides.

I started by cutting out a card template for the first door card, then used this for the first attempt. It came out well and used this as the main template for the second.
photo2_zps4bca7aef.jpg

Straight edge and new Stanley blade needed

photo3_zps97df857a.jpg

Using a black ball point pen to outline the original template, this leave a depression and makes it a little easier to cut.

photo4_zps3250271b.jpg

Remove the protective film

photo9_zps759f5a25.jpg

Cut out door handle and door strap, and one finished product ready for fixing to the door

photo10_zps6719abca.jpg

Checking to make sure everything fits

photo8_zpsae4f2839.jpg

Mocked in place using trust worthy Sellotape

photo6_zpsa58f48e9.jpg

..and in place, all is needed now is to pop rivet them in place, this will be next weeks job ;)

photo7_zpsc7cc0db4.jpg

The car is booked in next week with Mark Fish Motorsports to have a 6 point bolt in Safety Devices (with extra diagonal and harness bar) cage installed and also to have the Geometry set up and corner weighted, this should be ready by the end of the week (Friday).

So car now will be 100% Spa ready for October.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Impressive amount of work gone in to this over quite a short period. Are you heading towards racing in the future?

Also, just watched your 1 lap video with Brands and noticed your using Harry's lap time. I like the look of the overlays. Suppose its got to be worth the money? Are most UK tracks featured?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Also, just watched your 1 lap video with Brands and noticed your using Harry's lap time. I like the look of the overlays. Suppose its got to be worth the money? Are most UK tracks featured?

I use Harry's laptimer as well and there is literally every track in the world on there!! It's the pro version I got. Definitely worth the money I'd say!!

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Door cards look great! Was looking for that material to do mine. Does it weigh much? What colour you having the cage?