ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: Namakubi Clio 172 Cup "track project"

Sonny are you doing March or October? Ring and Spa or just one? I can't wait :)

Im tempted to do just Spa next time, and only do the ring on the tourist days, ie exactly what Sonny did this time, the closed circuit ring day didnt really float my boat massively TBH.
Different for you of course, as with a non road legal car the closed days are your only option.

Namakubi Clio 172 Cup "track project"

I noticed a massive difference between ds2500's and the pagid blues. They are expensive but are way better and last forever IME.

I wouldnt use anything else now. Brake dust is not too bad either and they don't eat discs. In fact, the only negative is the price.

Sorry buddy but what pads do you prefer the 2500s?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sorry buddy but what pads do you prefer the 2500s?

Pagid blues he was saying mate.

I think they do just about have the edge on the ds2500, but TBH I really like both, we have pagids on one car and ds2500 on the other at the moment and both work very well.

Sonny are you doing March or October? Ring and Spa or just one? I can't wait :)

With our group we always go to the Ring for TF in April time ( around Easter) an do TF and Spa in October. I will give you a shout when we are heading over, im always keen to go over more if it falls within my time off work. Iv never done a closed day at the Ring, i would like to give it a go one day.

Pagid blues he was saying mate.

I think they do just about have the edge on the ds2500, but TBH I really like both, we have pagids on one car and ds2500 on the other at the moment and both work very well.

Ahh ok, i know few who run pagid blues on their RS4s and came close to getting them but found a love for 2500s however i do like to experiment so would try the Pagids at some point.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Ahh ok, i know few who run pagid blues on their RS4s and came close to getting them but found a love for 2500s however i do like to experiment so would try the Pagids at some point.

Yeah sorry, I meant I prefer the pagid's.

I use the ds2500's on my Impreza using stoptech brakes and they work very well but never thought much of them on the Clio and can be very temperamental to squealing. The pagid's never squeal.

Hmmm my ds2500 dont squeal as i used oem shims with them.

Road going pagids are std on the on the RS 4 and the earlier pads lead to damage on the discs due to the pins scoring the disc, after this i chose the da2500, and i kind of stuck with them since (that problem has now been rectified).

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Normal pagids And pagid blues are as different as halfords ferodo pads and ds2500 to be fair mate

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Im tempted to do just Spa next time, and only do the ring on the tourist days, ie exactly what Sonny did this time, the closed circuit ring day didnt really float my boat massively TBH.
Different for you of course, as with a non road legal car the closed days are your only option.

I'm afraid to say I have to agree with chip on this one. The tf days give a real buzz when your mixing it up with cars and bikes! Yes it's dangerous, by my god is it fun!

I'm afraid to say I have to agree with chip on this one. The tf days give a real buzz when your mixing it up with cars and bikes! Yes it's dangerous, by my god is it fun!

Agree TF is a buzz, its only the number of closures per day that makes it a PITA. However iv not done a closed day and would love to do the full circuit.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Agree TF is a buzz, its only the number of closures per day that makes it a PITA. However iv not done a closed day and would love to do the full circuit.

There were still closures on the trackday, all be it not as many.

Thing is with the TF days if you go for a few days you dont want to be out (or rather the car/tyres wont take it if you are) non stop for the entire few days anyway, so I just let the closures dictate when I do other stuff like go off for food, or go karting, or go to the off road centre etc.
So where I dont really want to punish the car with more than about 20-30laps, if you are there for 4 or 5 days, thats easy to get in even with closures, and there is normally someone interesting to talk to when its shut etc anyway.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Will love to hear your view on the LSD and big brake set up, personally I dont think they need it unless you upping the power above 210bhp (maybe).

Welcome to borrow or drive mine mate. Has over 210bhp, steel rods, higher comp pistons, ported head, cams, one piece valves etc etc and also a Gripper plated diff, and 4 pot Wilwoods.

Welcome to borrow or drive mine mate. Has over 210bhp, steel rods, higher comp pistons, ported head, cams, one piece valves etc etc and also a Gripper plated diff, and 4 pot Wilwoods.

Cheers fella. I actually meant the 4pots are not worth getting unless the power is over 210... However this is just what i have experience with how good the oem callipers are with 205bhp....

Who did your engine work?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Who did your engine work?

Me and Mike from MWM did his current engine.

That was never the plan, I only had the car off him to diagnose what I thought might be a mapping issue as it was down on power, then we found the pistons had fallen apart as a result of the poor mapping, so we offered to replace or rebuild it for him while we had it, then the spec creeped, which happens a lot with porkie, and before we know it, it was forged rods and pistons and ported head and hotter cams etc, lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

There were still closures on the trackday, all be it not as many.

Thing is with the TF days if you go for a few days you dont want to be out (or rather the car/tyres wont take it if you are) non stop for the entire few days anyway, so I just let the closures dictate when I do other stuff like go off for food, or go karting, or go to the off road centre etc.
So where I dont really want to punish the car with more than about 20-30laps, if you are there for 4 or 5 days, thats easy to get in even with closures, and there is normally someone interesting to talk to when its shut etc anyway.

I do on average around 15-25 laps a day when I go over! Obviously weather dependant.

There good figures, most i did was 19 laps in 2 days. I never do more than 2 laps back to back between cool downs.

All this ring talking is making me want to go again!!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The most I've done was around 48 laps. It helped that I had one of the season tickets though, and at one point was going 3-4 times a year.

48 is more than I personally would bother to subject the car to on a single visit, fair play though :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

There good figures, most i did was 19 laps in 2 days. I never do more than 2 laps back to back between cool downs.

All this ring talking is making me want to go again!!!!

I'll go back whenever you want. Just looking at weather for this weekend actually.... it looks DRY!

No mate, car been off road since October...its been living in the garage since. Need to get some realistic (cheap) quotes to replace the piston rings. I aim to get the car back on the road for April.

Been having a good read through, brilliant project and has given me some ideas for mine when it becomes ''track b**ch'' :)

When you removed the carbon canister did you have to block any of the pipes up? And did any lights appear on the dash?

Jon

Been having a good read through, brilliant project and has given me some ideas for mine when it becomes ''track b**ch'' :)

When you removed the carbon canister did you have to block any of the pipes up? And did any lights appear on the dash?

Jon

Thanks Jon, To be honest I cant remember if I blocked it off or not, im sure I left the pipe cable tied in the win to still vent. No lights on dash however irrc it will throw a fault code. I kept the the connector pin wired in also.

Sonny172cup "track racer project"

Due to the Clio being off the road, I decided to crack on with a few jobs that was needed doing.

I popped the car down to Mike Woodford to check the compression, turns out cylinders 3&4 are low at 160psi. So will need either a new engine or engine rebuild. Im in discussion with Mike at the moment regarding options and where I want to go with the engine. More to follow soon.

No great additions to further mods, but never the less still items that needed doing.

I added a baffle to the catch tank, popped to Sainsburys and purchased 2 packs of 6 kitchen metal scorers I stretched these out and inserted into the Catch tank.

I then decided to attack the hazed front head lights, I purchased the Megs restoration kit, this worked but was not abrasive enough to totally sort take the scratches out. But it will do for the time being.

I took then old stickers and sun strip off and gave the car a good clean and quick polish. It snot seen a clean before the Ring and Spa trip in October :S

I added some real Cup racer brake ducts and deflector plates, these are original items as well as the real Cup racer tailgate complete with rear poly glass, this weight 7kg and also to compliment this I purchased a wide sports spoiler (2.5kg) for £15. Also got my hands on 2 Cup racer doors these babies are 7kg.

Sorry, but thats all folks. ;)

photo (5).jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (7).jpgphoto (4).JPGphoto (6).JPGphoto.jpg

Cup In bits

Just done a comp test on my new cup and cylinder 1 is down close to yours :mad: I hope mine doesn't start swallowing oil, did yours misfire or anything other than drinking oil?

Nice panels, looks like the ones Martijn was selling! Are they fiberglass and any good quality/fitment?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Lightness is the best thing you can add to a track car. :)

swede, if your compression is down its only a matter of a small amount of track use before that engine is toast IMHO.
Leakdown test it.

172 Cup plus more

Looks good Sonny.

I was looking at buying that sun strip at one point, would have been even more confusing for people when we are on the track hahaha.

Just done a comp test on my new cup and cylinder 1 is down close to yours :mad: I hope mine doesn't start swallowing oil, did yours misfire or anything other than drinking oil?

Nice panels, looks like the ones Martijn was selling! Are they fiberglass and any good quality/fitment?

I had a faulty injector that had replaced out at the ring, while checking the oil i noticed that The level was low and was being blown out the breather. So kept topping up, due to the high RPM use on track it was using oil a lot quicker, if yours is just a road car you may not notice a difference. I used 4 ltrs in 4 days (spa and ring trip). Its come to my attention that its the filter that is letting in dirt. Funnily enough its only happened since ktec fitted their 'uprated' filter. Iv only done 2k miles since its been fitted, an its been off the road since.

Yep the tailgate was from martijn and doors from a fellow CS member.

Looks good Sonny.

I was looking at buying that sun strip at one point, would have been even more confusing for people when we are on the track hahaha.

Thanks Gaz, yea its getting a bit silly now. Was thinking of wrapping it when panels are on, maybe a pastel green or blue, was thinking white but gone of the idea now.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

I had a faulty injector that had replaced out at the ring, while checking the oil i noticed that The level was low and was being blown out the breather. So kept topping up, due to the high RPM use on track it was using oil a lot quicker, if yours is just a road car you may not notice a difference. I used 4 ltrs in 4 days (spa and ring trip). Its come to my attention that its the filter that is letting in dirt. Funnily enough its only happened since ktec fitted their 'uprated' filter. Iv only done 2k miles since its been fitted, an its been off the road since.

Funny that mate mine the same since that filters been fitted. There was quite a bit of oil coming through into the inlet hose.

Cup In bits

swede, if your compression is down its only a matter of a small amount of track use before that engine is toast IMHO.
Leakdown test it.

I dont have the gear to do a leakdown. Pretty sure its rings as its breathing pretty heavy back to inlet , nothing to compare to mind you but not a1 for sure. Last time I buy a car in the dark from an unknown :mad:

It was a half arsed test as I didn't disconnect the injectors as some say you should, if it goes it goes tbh, I'll just swap it out but I need a car just now so ill roll with it. Had a misfire before strip down and plug on number one had a skin on it so I'm hoping it smoothed out a bit after full dservice and new belt.

Not so good about the filter, I have a butchered ph1 airbox with a choked air filter on which won't have helped matters, goes like a scalded cat though so I'll get my money's worth first lol.

Are the doors new, can he get more? Few guys looking for some.