ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Impressive amount of work gone in to this over quite a short period. Are you heading towards racing in the future?

Also, just watched your 1 lap video with Brands and noticed your using Harry's lap time. I like the look of the overlays. Suppose its got to be worth the money? Are most UK tracks featured?

As what Northloopcup said, this is the pro version and cost £16 from itunes app store. Jut make sure you make a firm enough bracket for the iphone as a poor phone holder with shake and vibrate (like in my snetterton vid).

I have been planning a track project for a few years and had funds saved for it, i also sold all the mods I had laying around for the rs4 to fund this project. I want to make the car to MSA spec so when i come to sell it will appeal to a wider audience. Likewise i am planning at some stage to get my race license and enter a few races in the msv cup day trophy.

Door cards look great! Was looking for that material to do mine. Does it weigh much? What colour you having the cage?

Thanks Tommy, the door cards weight next to nothing, i will weight them once i finish work.

The cage i am having black ( standard finish for the safety devices roll cage) I was going to have it white but think black looks better. However I was toying with Red!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Re: Namakubi Clio 172 Cup "track project"

Thanks for the feedback on the laptimer guys. Will make a secure mount for my phone and give it a try:)

Thanks for the feedback on the laptimer guys. Will make a secure mount for my phone and give it a try:)

Nee worries.

You can see in this pic my home made mount. Purchased a £3.99 iphone4 mount from ebay, took it apart and secured it to a metal L bracket and screwed it into the dash, job done.

DSC04103.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Great thread, mate - enjoyed reading it through. I think I might have to get myself a catch tank like yours. :D

172 Cup plus more
Lol I know the feeling mate my car is at my house in France and in the past 3 weeks I have only been in Belgium and now Bulgaria working. I had to get Renault in France just to change my PAS oil to hopefully solve
My noisy steering rack, I hate it as I love working on my car but cannot. Anyway great car and impressive work.

Gaz

**Update - Roll Cage fitted - September 2012**

Last week I dropped the car off at Mark Fish Motorsports to have a 6 point Safety Devises roll cage fitted, while there I also had stress plates fitted for the harnesses, suspension and geometry set up and corner weighting.

The car weighed in at 981kg, and running -2 1/8 camber up front and -2 3/4 camber rear.

Overall I am really happy with the work carried out and Mark is a top bloke, I recommend him to anyone wanting a top job done on there cars.

Car is now Spa ready for next week.

Will let the pics do the talking

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04130.jpg

DSC04110.jpg

DSC04111.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

DSC04116.jpg

DSC04117.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

DSC04121.jpg

DSC04127.jpg

DSC04126.jpg

DSC04125.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

I also fitted the door cards after I picked the car up.

DSC04109.jpg

RS 4 and RS Clio, one for the road one for the track.

DSC04131.jpg

Spent a week over at the Ring and Spa, got back a few days ago.

The trip was very eventful...im summary we had 4 cars brake down/problems, one guy have a heart attack, a missed Eurotunnle train...some good point too, meeting good ppl who have a passion for cars and helping ppl out. Was good to meet Porkie, Chip, bigash and the crew, Also Gazwald..all from here. So big thanks guys was a pleasure meeting you all.

The car performed very well..apart from a faulty injector, (again thanks to Porkie and Chip for helping me out) she ran fine after that so a weekend saved. The Mark Fish geometry set up was amazing, so money well spent there.

Here are 2 vids from Spa, my PB at 3:14 and me losing it at Pouhon ;/

3:14 lap http://youtu.be/8742OJCOjHU

s**t ya pants moment http://youtu.be/aLWHSQ5gK68

Few pics from the trip

XSP_0068-Copy1280x768.jpg

XOX_01201280x768.jpg

XOX_03641280x768.jpg

IMG_95651280x768.jpg

IMG_91041280x768.jpg

DSC041791280x768.jpg

DSC041701280x768.jpg

No vids of the Ring as only had limited laps due to injector problem

Full write up here (cant cut and paste) http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=95643&start=150

The car is using lots of oil, its being blown out of the breather system and into the catch tank, so I think new rings are needed. This could be the perfect excuse for a engine rebuild, maybe go for a high spec race build. Will have to get saving.

Also looking at shedding more weight, the car held its own against a lot more powerful machinery. Will have to go through hours of go-pro footage for some classic moments.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yeah I think a rebuild is inevitable now TBH mate.

Some great pictures at spa, that colour comes out SO well on film.

Hope to see you there again next year, was good meeting you and im glad we were able to help you out with the car :)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Looks like it was a cracking trip. Nice Spin also :) love your cup

Great to meet you mate and it really was an awesome trip all round! The car looked well and I hope you manage to get the engine sorted okay :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ash likewise fella, did you get a chance to look at the data logs. Would like to get an idea of a fully race prepped Clio Spa times. You was smashing it around that track!

Namakubi Clio 172 Cup "track project"

Sorry mate I haven't but I know my series race there and cars that are similar pace to me on the UK circuits are doing 3 mins dead.

My car exploded before it got dry but I would guess my laps with the dryish line were 3.10-3.15ish pace

That's why I was so gutted about the engine as I wanted to swap tyres and do some laps in the dry to see if I could be competitive racing there next year :(

172 Cup plus more

Good write up mate and the vid is very good, I think I will have to make myself one of them stands for my iPhone, how did the vid look when we were both out together?

Good write up mate and the vid is very good, I think I will have to make myself one of them stands for my iPhone, how did the vid look when we were both out together?

I was watching it, as that's were I was playing with CL10 JET... However the view is terrible as I re-mounted my Go-pro higher up, so all you can see is the rear view mirror..shame really. Going to put it back to back in its original location.

Sorry mate I haven't but I know my series race there and cars that are similar pace to me on the UK circuits are doing 3 mins dead.

My car exploded before it got dry but I would guess my laps with the dryish line were 3.10-3.15ish pace

That's why I was so gutted about the engine as I wanted to swap tyres and do some laps in the dry to see if I could be competitive racing there next year :(

Good times, esp those 3 min ones!!

172 Cup plus more

I was watching it, as that's were I was playing with CL10 JET... However the view is terrible as I re-mounted my Go-pro higher up, so all you can see is the rear view mirror..shame really. Going to put it back to back in its original location.

Ok no worries maybe on our next tractday, Sanj has car now so LSD, big brake etc happening over the winter remember to message me your geometry settings :)

Will love to hear your view on the LSD and big brake set up, personally I dont think they need it unless you upping the power above 210bhp (maybe).

Im away tonight but will PM you the settings tomorrow. Is Sanjay going to corner weight it as well?

172 Cup plus more

Will love to hear your view on the LSD and big brake set up, personally I dont think they need it unless you upping the power above 210bhp (maybe).

Im away tonight but will PM you the settings tomorrow. Is Sanjay going to corner weight it as well?

I'm the same as you regarding the brakes mate as at the ring they were fine but at spa they were getting worse and worse during the day so I have just decided go for over the top stopping power with adjustable brake bias.

As for corner weighting I'm unsure at the min we will see how big the bill gets lol

What the plan with yours regarding the oil usage?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Personally I think that big brakes arent really required, even my turbo only runs pagid blues in the standard calipers, but a diff is useful even on the standard car if you can bare the cost, especially on twisty wet corners.

Gaz i think the piston rings have had it so will look into a mild rebuild (might get a uprated engine not sure yet). Will have to get a few quotes first.

Yes its strange how your not happy with your brakes... Im on HC discs, ds2500 and rbf600 with brake cooling and braided lines ( so almost identical spec as you). My fluid was changed last week.

Only problem i had was front near side tyre slippage, happened on both sets. :/

172 Cup plus more

Gaz i think the piston rings have had it so will look into a mild rebuild (might get a uprated engine not sure yet). Will have to get a few quotes first.

Yes its strange how your not happy with your brakes... Im on HC discs, ds2500 and rbf600 with brake cooling and braided lines ( so almost identical spec as you). My fluid was changed last week.

Only problem i had was front near side tyre slippage, happened on both sets. :/

Cool I hope you get it sorted, yeah I thought it was strange regarding my brakes also because like you said we are pretty much the same spec except I'm on carbon Lorraine pads, but new oil also, maybe due to using my brakes more than you???

Well it is strange, Spa is not really heavy braking circuit, with 8 braking zones over 4 miles is should not be hard on the brakes, I found Silverstone a lot harder on the brakes in the RS4.

Im not a fan of the CL pads... However a lot on here are not fans of the DS2500s.... Strange one.

172 cup, Impreza P1

I noticed a massive difference between ds2500's and the pagid blues. They are expensive but are way better and last forever IME.

I wouldnt use anything else now. Brake dust is not too bad either and they don't eat discs. In fact, the only negative is the price.