ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers 'guide'/info

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You'll have to excuse @leeds2592 he's frustrated that his brakes still aren't working properly 😂

But yeah there's a small piece of metal you'll need to t**t out of the way, I've done mine and my bumper hasn't flown off... yet

I'VE GOT A REAL PROBLEM WITH MY BRAKES THAT I CANT f**king FIX AND THIS GUY IS WORRIED ABOUT BENDING A PIECE OF METAL BY 5MM 😡😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've had 5 people in my car and only scrub on the rear over bumps because its bottoming out. I'm not lying I promise

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi I'm looking to get 5mm spacers all round and am looking an extended wheel bolts for them.

The original bolt length for my car is 28mm, therefore I need 33mm right... well after extensive searching for the kind of bolts I want I can only find them in 30mm or 35mm. Would I be better off going slightly shorter or longer?

I've read arguments for both, i.e. shorter as you only need 6.5 turns and longer as you can just cut them down.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
Thinking of getting some spacers for my 172 cup, currently on ph1 oz f1 which are et43 compared to et38 of cup turinis, if i run 16mm hubcentric spacers on the front i'd be 11mm wider than on the turinis, how much of an effect would this have on the scrub radius. Ideally I'd want 10mm spacers but isn't possible as the wheels won't centre on the hub.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
I dont want to run turinis. 15" wheels are so much better on these, hence why thinking i could get away with it as with 16mm spacers on f1's would be the same as running 11mm on turinis due to the difference in offset

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I dont want to run turinis. 15" wheels are so much better on these, hence why thinking i could get away with it as with 16mm spacers on f1's would be the same as running 11mm on turinis due to the difference in offset
Which is still too much if you want it to drive nicely IMO. But having done what youre wanting to do and formed an opinion and thrown said spacers away, all i can go on is my experience.
Still opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
yep that was my thinking as well, 5mm slip on on the front and 10mm stub axle on the rear if i decide to, can't see how the wheels look in the arches when I'm driving it anyway.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at 10mm PMS slip on front spacers as I've got the 16mm hubcentric and they are a touch too wide.
Is there still enough hub protrusion to locate the wheel on with the 10mm set?

I'm running ET40 16" Speedline Turrinis.

If it's a bit dicey, I'll just get the 5mm set.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at 10mm PMS slip on front spacers as I've got the 16mm hubcentric and they are a touch too wide.
Is there still enough hub protrusion to locate the wheel on with the 10mm set?

I'm running ET40 16" Speedline Turrinis.

If it's a bit dicey, I'll just get the 5mm set.
No you cannot safely use a 10mm slip on with a Turini. The Turini has a 6mm chamfer on the rear bore which means there isnt enough material left on the hub to safely centre the wheel.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
No you cannot safely use a 10mm slip on with a Turini. The Turini has a 6mm chamfer on the rear bore which means there isnt enough material left on the hub to safely centre the wheel.
I did think this was the case. Cheers for confirming (y)

5mm slip on spacers for the front will do for now then.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
6mm chamfer on Turinis
2mm chamfer on 2118s
14mm hub protrusion on cup hubs.
0D43BE54-DAFF-45DD-9131-2B0773BE2A59.jpeg
C1B71B34-083F-4B2D-A4DF-87788A7A4E0E.jpeg
9EEFD37A-D98D-4EA8-B0A1-4F3A27B65CF4.jpeg

Last edited:
  C63 PPP Estate
I have 20mm fronts and 5mm rears on standard et45(iirc) rims, the fronts scrape slightly on full lock because i have 205 tyres, they didnt scrape at all with 195 tyres, the rears could do with coming out more so im going for some 10mm rears instead of the 5mm ones.

View attachment 171204 View attachment 171203
Did you need longer bolts on the 5mm spacers? I’ve just taken some 16mm off the rear as the way rubbed on 205 rubber

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Did you need longer bolts on the 5mm spacers? I’ve just taken some 16mm off the rear as the way rubbed on 205 rubber
I don’t think you need need them but I’d be running 5mm longer bolts for the sake of a few quid.

My brother has 5mm spacers on the front of his and longer bolts were a couple of quid each from Kam

Renault Clio
Hi All

I'm running 182 alloys on an 03 1.2. There's some rubbing on the rear arch liners, but not much. Enough though that it's polishing the liners somewhat and needs sorting. I probably only need 5mm extra width but I'm not overly keen on the little 5mm spacers. The other two options are either some 18mm hubcentrics (not sure anything else will fit safely with the hub protusions), or the PMS 10mm Stub Axle Spacer Kit.
The latter is more appealing as the width isn't such a big jump (I'm not increasing the track at the front anytime soon), and I won't have the hassle of additional bits whenever the wheels come off. I'm just wondering if I'd have to re-do the hard brake lines to the drums. Has anyone else done this with a 1.2?
All input welcome. Cheers

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All

I'm running 182 alloys on an 03 1.2. There's some rubbing on the rear arch liners, but not much. Enough though that it's polishing the liners somewhat and needs sorting. I probably only need 5mm extra width but I'm not overly keen on the little 5mm spacers. The other two options are either some 18mm hubcentrics (not sure anything else will fit safely with the hub protusions), or the PMS 10mm Stub Axle Spacer Kit.
The latter is more appealing as the width isn't such a big jump (I'm not increasing the track at the front anytime soon), and I won't have the hassle of additional bits whenever the wheels come off. I'm just wondering if I'd have to re-do the hard brake lines to the drums. Has anyone else done this with a 1.2?
All input welcome. Cheers
I know this is probably too late but oh well!

My brother has a 1.2 mk2 Clio with 172 wheels on it. He’s got 16mm or 18mm spacers up front and 5mm shims on the rear. He must’ve done a couple of thousand (hard) miles on it and it’s been fine. It took 3 folk, 3 bikes and loaded to the brim with gear all around wales over the summer with zero issues.

I’d either go with the 5mm shims or get some 10mm hubcentric for the rears. Getting the bolts out for the stub axle spacers is a ballache. I had a spare beam for mine and 3 out of the 8 bolts snapped for me due to being in poor condition!

Renault Clio
Hi @HaveaCuppa

Thanks for getting back on this.

I went with the PMS hub axle spacers in the end.
I didn't fit 5mm shims as I wanted to be sure of good clearance, but also couldn't be arsed with the ball ache of having to fiddle with the things every time I had the wheels off.
Surprisingly, the stub axle bolts came out with no trouble at all. I was fully prepared to have to break out the grinder.
So, no more rubbing on the arches and the rear end looks much better.
Now contemplating whether or not to widen the front.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
What's people's opinions who have been down this road. Mate said it's crying out for spacers which I agree.

I see people saying over 10mm ruins handling. I can purchase 10mm rear stub axle kit from pms but do I go 10mm slip on or 18mm from PMS for front ?

Also what is the issue with turninis i read. Was that some trying to put a slip on spacer on rear ?

Kiffle

ClioSport Club Member
What's people's opinions who have been down this road. Mate said it's crying out for spacers which I agree.

I see people saying over 10mm ruins handling. I can purchase 10mm rear stub axle kit from pms but do I go 10mm slip on or 18mm from PMS for front ?

Also what is the issue with turninis i read. Was that some trying to put a slip on spacer on rear ?
I think just do as you please - it's your car.

I run a 25mm spacer on the front with ET38 2118s and a 15mm on the rear. Both hubcentric and still room on front and back for more. Really like how it looks and will be going more aggressive soon all being well.

Car gets tracked still on these spacers and haven't really had an issue. Never tried it back to back with no spacers as I don't want it to look rubbish.

20220903_095218.jpg

Used to have PMS 18mm spacers all round on cup turinis too with no issues. Not sure what you've heard there.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172

I run a 25mm spacer on the front with ET38 2118s and a 15mm on the rear. Both hubcentric and still room on front and back for more. Really like how it looks and will be going more aggressive soon all being well.

Car gets tracked still on these spacers and haven't really had an issue. Never tried it back to back with no spacers as I don't want it to look rubbish.

Used to have PMS 18mm spacers all round on cup turinis too with no issues. Not sureI what you'vIe heard there.

Car gets tracked still on these spacers and haven't really had an issue. Never tried it back to back with no spacers as I don't wanThatst it to look rubbish.

Used to have PMS 18mm spacers all round on cup turinis too with no issues. Not sure what you've heard there.

That looks really good. I've gone for the PMS 18 up front and 10's on the back

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You definitely feel a difference in the steering with spacers on. If it's a negative effect or not in guess you'd have to do some timed laps to find out, you soon get used to the feel and it becomes the norm. If it was terribly negative there would be plenty of people saying so on here.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Has anyone ever fitted these to there car.
I don't fancy running longer wheel bolts but would like to run some spacers on the front.

Thoughts ?

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 8.44.42 pm.png

Kiffle

ClioSport Club Member
I don't fancy running longer wheel bolts but would like to run some spacers on the front.

Thoughts ?

View attachment 1642846
I decided to run a stud and nut kit and just use normal spacers. Running 100mm front studs with 30mm spacers at the moment.

I'd be too worried about the inner bolts holding the spacer to the hub coming loose running the above style.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member

Thoughts ?

View attachment 1642846

Not these ones, but I did have H&R ones which were the exact same for the same reasons, keeping the standard bolts. I had 20mm ones, but still the same design, with the insert.

Never had an issue throughout the time I had them.

20230511_203452.jpg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@Jekyll

You got a link / Part number for the H&R Ones ?
Did you use some lock tight ?

These are for the trophy so its not like im tracking the car and driving like a loon.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@Jekyll

You got a link / Part number for the H&R Ones ?
Did you use some lock tight ?

These are for the trophy so its not like im tracking the car and driving like a loon.

It was a while back and that was from Larkspeed. It was the DRA ones.

It was these, but not sure if there's cheaper places online.