ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spun the engine the wrong way, tensioner issues? 1.2 16V

Hey guys,

Earlier I replaced the alternator belt on my car as it was getting old and wasn't renewed by the garage when I had the cambelt done around 7000 miles ago. Anyway, rather stupidly I turned the engine anti-clockwise by hand about half a rotation I guess (the manufactures name on the alternator belt was on the the crank pulley and when I finished it was on the alternator pulley). When I realised my mistake I tried turning it again but clockwise this time and at certain points you can hear what sounds like a spring being stretched and it gets harder to turn unless you put a bit more pressure on and "get past" that point.

Would you recommend I get this looked at before starting the engine? I see mixed answers online, some saying it's really bad and others saying they've turned an engine the wrong direction loads of times and nothings happened. I've also read that some cars are even supposed to make this "springy" noise and get harder as it means the no 1 piston has reached the bottom of its travel and due to it now going up it causes a bit more stress on the belts.

What would you guys do and can anyone confirm if you've ever turned your engine by hand and heard a "springy" sound?

Bmw 330d green 182
As dan said itll be fine mate when your needing to put more pressure on itll be the compression stage buddy itll be fine honestly