ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stay Nikon, or move to Canon?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Basically, at the moment I have a Nikon D40. The kit lens has broke, and I have a fixed 50mm and a 55-200mm lens for it.

A friend of mine has offered me his Canon 550D for a good price, with kit lens and 50mm fixed. Thing is, I have these nikon lens' and it'd be a shame to not use them? I know you can get adapter rings but still. Is the Nikon D3100 or D5100 on par with the Canon?

Thoughts? I know most people seem to prefer the Canon nowadays.

D5100 is an excellent choice. It's high ISO Performance is excellent and it's a vast improvement on your current kit.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Looking at it though, it's about £100 more than I'd be paying for this canon. I'll pop into Jessops soon for a play but I wouldnt consider myself an expert.

What's the resale value like on second hand Nikon glass? If you can get back a few pennies and you like the 550D go for it....

I'll pop into Jessops soon for a play but I wouldnt consider myself an expert.

You don't need to be an expert.

You're not in toooo far as you only have two basis lenses so it's not too late to swap.

Go in and have a play. See what feels nicer in your hand. See which you prefer the button placement on. Easier menus for you etc etc.

Phase 1 Clio 172
i was looking at the 5100 and 3100 but they seem to have problems working with some of the older lenses when i looked at reviews

just get a second hand d90 ;)

LOL this thread'll end up in a flaming war

If your a canon man like me - you'll say canon
If your a nikon man you'll say nikon

Personally I'll always stay canon - they have nicer glass at a more affordable price and a much bigger range of second hand kit to choose from.
I also find all the Nikon bodies small, light and "toy like" compared to the canon gear which feels much better built - but then I have big hands lol

I'm neither Nikon or Canon so don't have a horse in this race! From an objective outsiders point of view, there really is no good reason to choose a canon body at present, their sensor technology is generations behind and if you already have Nikon lenses its a no brainer imo.

I'm neither Nikon or Canon so don't have a horse in this race! From an objective outsiders point of view, there really is no good reason to choose a canon body at present, their sensor technology is generations behind and if you already have Nikon lenses its a no brainer imo.

That's a bit of a stupid post

Canon's sensor technology is generations behind is it? Have you seen the 1D X - industry leader lol

Canon just choose to developer higher res sensors whereas nikon tend to stick to lower res and better noise handling
If you're gonna go out taking photos of mates in pubs then the noise handling is kinda handy - but if you're doing motorsport stuff or setup photo shoots I'd have the extra resolution every day of the week

Canon's AF systems are better, the weather proofing and build quality is better.

Meh... Grr.. etc.. ;)

Factual, not stupid and we are discussing an entry level dslr not the very fine 1dx. Canons sensors lack low light quality and dynamic range. Sorry but that's the truth! We are comparing entry dslr bodies and ill say it again why would you choose a canon!

Cheaper, higher quality lenses

And the 5100 that uses the sony sensor is hardly entry level - its £550 with a crap lens

'Entry level' dslr's are pointless these days - bridge cameras are cheaper and in 90% of the cases better!

Seat Ibiza
Me and the girlfriend bought a D3100 a couple of months back just to start getting into it!
It's a good camera and the only reason we chose it over the canon was money, the canon was nearly £100 more but got half the kit, we got a 18-55 and 55-200 lens with ours!
The only thing I'm not a massive fan of is all the digital menus, but think its ideal for learning, the tutorials are brilliant!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Okay, so I went to Jessops tonight. Fell in love with the D5100! Have it sitting next to me now, it's pretty impressive so far. Can't wait to get out there and take proper shots with it.

6306539947_9749ec8da4_z.jpg

DSC_0002 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Cheaper, higher quality lenses

And the 5100 that uses the sony sensor is hardly entry level - its £550 with a crap lens

'Entry level' dslr's are pointless these days - bridge cameras are cheaper and in 90% of the cases better!

I was going by the classifications on the DXO website. Even the D7000 is considered entry level but I suppose it depends what classification system you use. There's entry level, semi pro and professional.

2.2 bar shed.
I was going by the classifications on the DXO website. Even the D7000 is considered entry level but I suppose it depends what classification system you use. There's entry level, semi pro and professional.

DXO scores? Who the fk actually pays attention to them?

D7000 entry level? Seriously?!

And back on topic... good choice in camera. You can't compare the D5100 to a bridge camera either.

Last edited:
^ that's what it says! I suspect its because it doesn't have semi pro features like weather proofing?

Okay, so I went to Jessops tonight. Fell in love with the D5100! Have it sitting next to me now, it's pretty impressive so far. Can't wait to get out there and take proper shots with it.

6306539947_9749ec8da4_z.jpg

DSC_0002 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Hell of a good choice that! Superb sensor

As for the entry level nonsense - it's all b****cks. A £6-700 camera isn't "entry level"
Most people sub-£400 is entry level and most DSLR manufacturers aren't committing much to that level anymore because bridge cameras are a much better choice

Glad you like it, balance has been restored ;)

That said when I'm out and about and making a mental note of the names on eleyse straps canon do seem to outnumber Nikon at least 3 to 1

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I don't understand why people argue about this kind of thing, I would have said just get a better Nikon body, the D40 is great except it's only 6mp iirc.

clio 182 black /gold
I have a Nikon D70 and i was after upgrading it. I was looking at either the D5100 or the D90. Is the 5100 a step up or down?

D90 is listed by Nikon as being a higher model than the 5100

But 5100 has a better spec - go figure!

D90 is listed by Nikon as being a higher model than the 5100

But 5100 has a better spec - go figure!

Spec wise better. Overall feel and look - D90 is more pro. Two control dials, in built motor so you can use old lenses and much better layout of buttons (less going in to menus to change things etc).

Spec wise better. Overall feel and look - D90 is more pro. Two control dials, in built motor so you can use old lenses and much better layout of buttons (less going in to menus to change things etc).

To be fair those are features that I ignored on my current cam and now I crave for :(

RB One Eight Two
Nikon FTW. I went from a D70 to D80 to D90 and the D90 is a superb camera, the difference in image quality is quite amazing. The only thing with Nikon I dislike is the lens' are so expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. I bought a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR lens about 4 years ago now and it is always being used, a truly awesome lens

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nikon FTW. I went from a D70 to D80 to D90 and the D90 is a superb camera, the difference in image quality is quite amazing. The only thing with Nikon I dislike is the lens' are so expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. I bought a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR lens about 4 years ago now and it is always being used, a truly awesome lens

I want that lens but I heard from a few Pro's the 80-200mm f2.8 is sharper so don't know which to save for lol

RB One Eight Two
I have heard the new 70-200 f2.8 VR is even sharper than the one I have but is abit more expensive than the older model. If i could afford it, I would get the 200-400 F2.8, that lens is sh*t hot!

clio 182 black /gold
Thanks. Thats the kind of thing i was hoping to read. :). Watch this space.