ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stelth shelf using original shelf

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Went into a branch of Halfords the other day, and saw these stealth shelves they were knocking out at about £80. looked at one and they looked really good, no difference between this and the original - only difference was that this has a slab of MDF screwed underneath and some acoustic cloth covering the lot...do ya reckon it would be easy to make my own using the original shelf? - bit of MDF and cover it all with sum cloth?

Has anyone done it with the original?

H22A7 Accord Type R

yes........i put the wood onto the shelf, bolted it to the existing parcel shelf, cut out the 6*9s holes, fitted them, covered the shelf wi cloth and hey presto, a few quid and u have a nice, tight bass shelf!!! Sorted!!! leaves u wi about £70 to spend on whatever the hell u like :D

IMHO youd be better leaving the standard parcel shelf alone, forgetting all about 6x9s and buying better speakers for the rear qtr panels for a bit of rear fill

H22A7 Accord Type R

nah.............IMO, you need Cubic capacity for the speakers to produce some decent low end stuff! the 6x9s use the volume of the boot to give you lower bass.......PS the standard rear speakers are really sh*te aint they!!!! lol

nearly all standard speakers are crap

6x9s destroy the sound stage of a install, they produce too much treble and mid, the best option is to put a sub and amp to hit the low notes and keep a decent stage in the car

i have owned a couple of pairs of 6x9s and 7x10s and i have to say i would never install another set into the rear end of a car, they are no substitute for a sub(s)

H22A7 Accord Type R

i have a Sub in the boot.......and the 6x9s. i require more power to the 6x9s tho.......

if you insist on using 6x9s its a good idea to amplify them and use the filter to stop all the top end sh*te coming through, should sound much better

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

I know what you are both saying...in the long run, i would like to have some quality components in the back, but for now i wanna fit some good 6 by 9s on the shelf but not leave them to show....seen some Audiobahns for about £170 - what do ya reckon?

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Forgot about that! mail me at william.barker@o2.com for discussion......if u still wanna sell... :)

Ive got some some 4way 6x9s stacked in the rear shelf - and more than one person has been caught out and thought there was a sub in the boot. People who know their stuff can tell (just!), but your average joe cant. Plus the clarity is excellent, they produce an awful lot of sound for 2 speakers!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

6x9s are IMHO very tacky.

I prefer the clean look, nothing to say that there is anything different about my car from standard, apart from the HU, and if they open the boot.

Standard size, high quality speakers are what I like.

Will16V, you work for O2? Any chance you could get me mailto:daz@o2.com">daz@o2.com as an e-mail address? :)

Daz.

i have FOCAL 6x9 on standard shelf with acoustic carpet stretched over em. anyone who thinks 6x9s sound sh*t need to listen to a decent pair, FOCAL, infinity etc....

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 11 December 2002

Will16V, you work for O2? Any chance you could get me mailto:daz@o2.com">daz@o2.com as an e-mail address?

Daz.
Dont think so, just got it assigned through work, although you could maybe go to http://www.o2.co.ukwww.o2.co.uk and set up an e-mail account there, and choose there...

Skoda Fabia vRS

i had mine done for £50.........my shelf........it looks and obviously fits perfect

and my Kicker 6x9s sound really good in it :)

clean16v - the 3 sets of 6x9s (Kicker, Infinity and Kenwood) and the 1 set of 7x10s (Kicker) i have owned have all destroyed the sound stage in the car, its not that they sound sh*t, its that all the treble comes from behind you

If you find a car that 6x9s/7x10s fit into the front doors, they do make good replacements for the standard crap (not quite as good as components though)