ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stick with the RS range or move on..

Italian 3.2 V6
Next year il be in pos eq with the 182.

Options on the list will be to either..

1. Buy a brand new 200
or
2. Buy a car like an e46 M3 / Ph2 V6 / Mk2 R32 and have a £200 shed to run about in..

Have currently done 15k in the 182 in 9month!! What will be the best option to not lose to much money over the next few years.. 200 will drop in value like a stone but a nicer car like an M3 will be alot more expensive to run etc etc..

Cheers.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Buying a car thats still in production wouldnt be on my agenda (the 200)

Buying a used car is a better bet, let someone else take the hit for depreciation.

Out of your shortlist it would be a V6 and a £200 shed, i wouldnt buy a run around along side an M3 or R32, they just wouldnt feel "special enough" i think strangely! :eek:

Mini Cooper S
Legend!! I'll be going away from the Clio next year not due to lack of love just want something different! You can always come bk in the future!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair, an E46 M3 is a country mile from where the 182 is. Be careful you don't pick a car too far out of your comfort zone. No point in having an expensive, nice car to never use.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
m3 would be a good choice.. a mate had one was a brilliant car but he said recommended tyres were 200 a corner and can be smoked of very easily... they also guzzle fuel and back end can be twitchy when driving fast.. if its not something your used to then it may catch you out easy

also havin a 200 shed to run about in by the time you have bought it insured it tax, mot all the other things taht fail with it only being a cheap car ... you may aswell just put all that towards sericing and fuel for the nice car and drive that all the time... plus when you have a m3, v6 etc you wouldnt wanna drive around in a shed after being seen in a flashy car would you ?

Italian 3.2 V6
Nice input :)

Good point about the banger money being put towards the running costs but the milage etc, I think the banger in the long run would make things cheaper :S more so with a M3 or the V6, not so much With a Z4 or R32..

M3 is the best choice as it's so practicle n fits the bill perfectly BUT it's the worst for running costs. For doing 17k a year I'd have to have a bag of s**t for the miles back n fourth to work or the missus house etc...

Brand spanking 200 would be awesome tho! Warranty etc would be lovely!

Nice input :)

Good point about the banger money being put towards the running costs but the milage etc, I think the banger in the long run would make things cheaper :S more so with a M3 or the V6, not so much With a Z4 or R32..

M3 is the best choice as it's so practicle n fits the bill perfectly BUT it's the worst for running costs. For doing 17k a year I'd have to have a bag of s**t for the miles back n fourth to work or the missus house etc...

Brand spanking 200 would be awesome tho! Warranty etc would be lovely!
would you own an m3 without warranty though?

Italian 3.2 V6
250 would just be above budget.. But might of droped enough by start of next year mind :S good shout tho!

Thought the M3's were one of those well known bullet proof cars? I mean iv have had Clio's without warranty n all have been ok.. Touch wood! But spose it's like that with any 2hand car, it's a risk you have to take :(

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
250 would just be above budget.. But might of droped enough by start of next year mind :S good shout tho!

Thought the M3's were one of those well known bullet proof cars? I mean iv have had Clio's without warranty n all have been ok.. Touch wood! But spose it's like that with any 2hand car, it's a risk you have to take :(

The trouble is if a M3 does goes wrong the bills will be high!

535d / t5 caravelle
be carefull running two cars mate, i have done it on a few occassions, and came to the conclusion it was just as cost effective to run the expensive/nice car as a daily driver, rather than running a shed around, and having a nice motor sat on your dive to use once a blue moon, after paying out insurance, tax, mot and general running costs/repairs etc, its gets expensive doubling up your bills, sure running the nice car will take its tole a bit with general wear and tear, stone chips etc, but there for using aren't they at the end of the day.

what mx1_champ said is right imo, get one nice car and enjoy it!

LY 200
The new RS's are leaps and bounds ahead of the 182! I wouldn't want to downgrade and I loved the 182 when I had it!

Still the M3 would be very high on my wanted list if I could afford to run it and use it daily.

Italian 3.2 V6
Costs will be split a little with the missus mind as she would be sharing it (hence milage) ;) anyone have any idea what the m3 serving etc costs are? Ino mpg Is similar to a ClioV6..

So u guys think owning an m3 over a brand new 200 over a few years would be more cost effective? Aslong as the M3 doesn't go boom..

..then again If an M3 is far worse to run than an R32 then maby for me that's the better option, only thing it ain't got over the M3 is the power.

Last edited by a moderator:
  S2 106 GTI
lol Here we go again!............Buy a house instead! lol

I've looked into a M3 nxt BUT...... things I don't like are running cost's, also around here - in the trophy you can take it for a drive out over the pass's and a fast drive out.... in an M3 I just can't see that happening! so looking for an alternative.

oh and for buying a 2nd car to run around in....... that will never happen! my mate did it thinking he would save money, he never!
ins x2
mot x2
tax x2
tires/services etc.... x2
Plus he ended up driving the 'better' car all the time as it was nicer to drive haha

Listerine & Poledo
for 15k in 9 months, I know where I'd plough my money

a Merc, diesel, with an autobox, climate, cruise and several herds of cattle as upholstery!

you wont lose too much if you buy used either, everyone loves a cushy merc!

Listerine & Poledo
lol Here we go again!............Buy a house instead! lol

I've looked into a M3 nxt BUT...... things I don't like are running cost's, also around here - in the trophy you can take it for a drive out over the pass's and a fast drive out.... in an M3 I just can't see that happening! so looking for an alternative.

oh and for buying a 2nd car to run around in....... that will never happen! my mate did it thinking he would save money, he never!
ins x2
mot x2
tax x2
tires/services etc.... x2
Plus he ended up driving the 'better' car all the time as it was nicer to drive haha

Big Merc? some sort of 3-litre diesel?

2005 Clio Sport 182
I'd go for the M3! there an Animal of a car! Ive had and e36 evo and an e46 M3. they were both so much fum and regret selling them both! one day ill have another e46! or maybe step up to the M5!

E46 not too bad on fuel depending how you drive it. i think i was averaging 40 mile to £10! im now getting 55 in the clio! not too much difference for the fun!

Clio 182
Why bother with a run around, surely an M3 was designed so it could be used everyday.

Whats the point having all the money locked up in a car, then driving a snotter about?

Each to their own, just seems odd to me