ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stone Saves An Iceberg PH1 172 From the Scrap Yard!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
So a few months back a PH1 172 came up for spares or repair... For some strange reason I felt another could be handy for parts or maybe a cheap winter run-around (now my 8th Renault Sport lol)

So I bought this little number as a non-runner (well nearly) It started and "just" about ran with a foot full of pedal so still decided to buy it for £350 as I had various projects at the time & parts could be handy! Had been sitting for a year & the story behind this was simple, He & mate did the cambelt on the drive so figured the valves were done!

DSC03810.jpg

DSC03807.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

Engine bay was a complete mess! Things just broken every where

DSC03808.jpg

And surprise surprise...

DSC03803.jpg

Now here's for the miracle, Purely to see what damage had been done I re-set the timing & performed a leak down test

DSC03814.jpg

All cylinders hold solid compression, So fire it up & it starts on the button!!! So new Cambelt/ Auxbelt Kits ordered from Renault along with the rest of the 72 service parts, Just under 3,000 miles later she's not missed abit!

From then on it went from just a run-around to restoring it, with only 2 previous owners and 74,000 miles on the clock some time & funds were invested to get it back on track

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

All the seats carpets were replaced with sub 50k 182 goodies (pictures to follow)

And re-painted the horrid door pulls with some rattle can action

DSC03936.jpg

Engine bay

DSC03818.jpg

So what's next on the cards, We shall see ;)

Comments welcome!

James

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thanks guys, Really pleased with how its turned out, Paint work is in really good condition, Only thing I've done to it is Clay bar to remove the tree sap, Good machine polish/wax and she shall be mint :cool:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Got to be worth £2k all day long!

Love Iceberg Ph1's!

Have been offered £1,500 & £1,900 Since completed! Don't want to sell it though :eek:

This is also my 3rd Iceberg on a PH1, thought there were only 99 of the things! all by chance as well!

Got me thinking of saving a ph1 now, really miss my old iceberg

Hasn't been cheap though, Just silly little things that really restore the car soon add up, Most of its labour, But its a hobby so no regret ;)

Need interior pics

Shall get some tomorrow ;)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looks good mate. Nice bargain there. So is it for keeps for another project/winter run around or sell for a profit, which I'm sure you'll get?

At first it was parts.. then was going down the sale for profit route..... but! The Megane was just not ticking the buttons for me, don't get me wrong good cars but just so dull & uninspiring compared to the Clio, I ended driving the PH1 around and leaving the meggy at home lol, thats why I sold the megane, Would never by one again... The problem is, for the money, there really isn't better value/ fun to be had than the MK2 RS Clio

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
At first it was parts.. then was going down the sale for profit route..... but! The Megane was just not ticking the buttons for me, don't get me wrong good cars but just so dull & uninspiring compared to the Clio, I ended driving the PH1 around and leaving the meggy at home lol, thats why I sold the megane, Would never by one again... The problem is, for the money, there really isn't better value/ fun to be had than the MK2 RS Clio

As obvious as it sounds coming from someone on a Clio forum, it really is quite true. The 106 GTI being the only other alternative, but for me they're a little too basic.

I know plenty upgrade on here, but it's often for wanting something more grown up etc, I know when I get my Audi, I'll genuinely miss the Clio.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I know plenty upgrade on here, but it's often for wanting something more grown up etc, I know when I get my Audi, I'll genuinely miss the Clio.

Most come back to the little french s**t box's though, my self included ;)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Cracking work mate! Looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into it.

Most come back to the little french s**t box's though, my self included ;)

Lol I'm always thinking about my old 172. Tempted to get a phase 1 at some point for a cheap track car.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Weird how we have had completely different experiences of moving to Megane's. I guess part of it is the difference between the 225 and R26.

I do agree though that for the money it's hard to beat a 172 :)

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Looks stunning! Iceberg ph1 ftw <3 thinking of putting f1's back after seeing this. Looks so clean! Well done on gertting it sorted :)