ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strugglers back!! ph1 172 project! (bit of a read)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Im sure some of you will remember my previous two projects.
ph1 non-sport
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Track mk1
228315_10150583691025363_528465362_18480135_2766592_n.jpg

225336_10150584371790363_528465362_18489503_2887336_n.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

Well as of july this year i hung up my driving gloves for good because i was off to university, i broke up my F7R valver and put the money to one side for my next project, which was always going to be the same as the mk1, stripped out, bucket seats and rollcage!!

So after just one term at uni i found the perfect base to start my project!! this ph1 MOT failure cropped up on ebay just over a week ago and caught my attention, so i threw in a last minute bid of 535 and won it!! popped along on my way home from uni and picked it up!!

its bog standard with 90k,
no history (so ill be doing the cambelt before shes finished)
no rust, dents or colour mis matches,
seems pretty tight but i obviously havnt had a chance to drive it!!

problems with it
Discs and pads too low
Exhaust leaks
snapped spring
PAS pumps knacked and makes some funk arse noises! lol

obviously none of this matters to me as it will all be changed!!
pics
P1010978.jpg

P1010977.jpg

P1010976.jpg

P1010975.jpg

P1010972.jpg

P1010971.jpg

P1010970.jpg

i have most of the parts i want to use with the build either already knocking around from breaking up my valver
Seats, Cage, Harnesses, Bonnet catches, Steering wheel, wheels/tyres, dogbone mount

also using the valver PAS delete kit and alternator to get rid of PAS and AC ;)
got a non-sport mk1 rack and column that i held on to aswell but only time will tell if i can make them fit!!

Also have
Pure motorsport top mounts
Gaz coilovers
whiteline ARB
powerflex bush kit
front camber bolts and rear shims
Brembo HC discs
Goodridge braided lines
vibratechnics mounds
pollybush dogbone
genuine rear discs and pads
manual mirrors

my bedroom floor is looking a bit of a mess, as is my nans garage :eek:
P1010979.jpg

still need to buy
Brake pipe and manual bias valve (i dont plan on running ABS)
braided fuel line
full exhaust system (not decieded what one i want yet)
manual windows

Im sure ive missed something, but cant think of it off the top of my head. I plan to have the build ready for summer 2012, because the car will be storted at my parents place while im at university, and ill be back for a month now, a month in easter, then 3months in the summer. Unfort ive got to keep the car looking like a car and movable or it cant stay at my rents (their rules annoyingly) so over christmas if i can bare the cold, ill only be doing the interior (strip, detar, paint, cage, seats, etc) and rear beam, (fit arb, brakes, shims and coilies etc). But since i have a lot of time on my hands im going to try and make a decent project thread out of this one, and keep everyone updated on how its going :) thanks for reading and watch this space!!

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Nice to see tou had another car!! I has a set of gaz coilovers and loads of other bits you may want?
K tec stealth, gaz coilovers, forged coolant pipes...

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Cheers dude
i already have the coilies in the garage

but how much you looking for the coolant pipes?! may be intersetd!

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Ermm probably about 100 but would need standard in exchange.
No idea how much there worth tbh

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
1. Nice feet
2. Haii Titanium Ph1 Shed Fweennddd...

Will keep my eyes on this project!! :)

thanks, you answered one of my upcoming questions about the colour :p

Ermm probably about 100 but would need standard in exchange.
No idea how much there worth tbh

theyre on the bay for 160, i could probs push for £60 for my standard sent 2nd hand and buy a new set for the same price!! lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol that was the powersteering pump complaining!!

and also big thanks to chris (B4RK3R) and ollie (brillco) for helping me get the car home!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
nice toes! lol, our car history is the exact same! ill be keeping an eye on this :)

I had noticed this!! clearly have good taste!! lol

Look forward to the end result. Your last cars were epic!

cheers dude!! i loved your red ph1, and the 2118s on you 172 make me happy in my pants! :eek:

think im gna give it a clean, even though it might rain at any moment, its looking abit mouldy after fitting for months on end! lol

Last edited:
  CLIO 172 CUP....
yh i remember seeing the mk1 u had when i come to pick up them buckit seats i had from u. that car looked nuts...

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
cheers dude!! i loved your red ph1, and the 2118s on you 172 make me happy in my pants! :eek:

think im gna give it a clean, even though it might rain at any moment, its looking abit mouldy after fitting for months on end! lol

haha Cheers man, I've Hopefully got a surprise update coming next week, Although it doesnt quite include my current one ;)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
im glad there was love for the old mk1 guys!! im going to try and make this build better!! take my time more and better parts etc!!

and dont worry dude, ill bring a cushion to the next meet it attends ;)

just gave it a little clean, paintwork have come up really nice, but i was amazed how much dirt came off it!! especially in gaps between pannels!!
also noticed a few niggles in the paint all over, but being silver it hides these quite well,

also noticed a large patch of paint peel underneith one of the side skirts,
and that i have locking wheel nuts.....no key was supplied with the car :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
thats not the issue,

im just concerned how im going to get the current wheels off, without the key, or any way of getting it to a garage! lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
pretty sure renault had a quite a few different sets with slightly different keys!!

i have set of similar lockers in the garage off a standard renaul so ill try those, hopefully ill strike lucky, otherwise ill try and smash a normal socket onto them, or trailer it to a garage just for them to take the lockers off!! lool

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
cheers dude!! im sure ill get stuck on something with the F4R before too long, this is the first one ive ever owned!! :p

the lockers look like this
elise-s2-oz-locking-wheel-bolt-set.jpg

ill get you a pic of the actual ones tomorrow,
ive got a set of these in the garage, so ill chance using the key from that, but i dont hold much hope tbh,
ill then systematically start smashing every size socket i own onto them one by one until something hopefully gets them off!! :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Ok had a little day on the clio today! nothing too majour as i dont really want to get under the car until i know i can get everything done!!

first point of call was those horrible locking wheel nuts!!
IMG_0594.jpg

However a bit of this,
IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

lead to a bit of this
IMG_0597.jpg

and eventually they were all no match for me! :D
IMG_0598.jpg

i then decieded to set about the boot lit!

getting the wiper off was easier than i remembered
IMG_0599.jpg

getting the motor off was a bit of a pain as the studs were just spinning, i got one off, but you can see the otherone couldnt be held with a screwdriver,
IMG_0601.jpg

so i made light work of it ;)

then proceeded to cut the inner skin of the boot out for lightness, this was pretty easy except i knew if you so much as brush the outer skin with a grinder, the pain will bubble on the outside!!
IMG_0602.jpg

managed to get it all off thought, but this made the boot lid a little on the flimsey side!!
IMG_0603.jpg

so i fitted these pins for extra security,
IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

im sure theyre not to everyones tastes, but i personally love them,

tried to take the badges off to clean and paint, but they didnt survive, will have to get some more to paint black and go with the pins!! :p
plus the sport one left a horrible mess, so ill be painting that and refitting!! lol
IMG_0608.jpg

also removed the fogs and electric mirrors (had the manual mirrors from my previous mk2! lol)

was going to change the front suspension, simply to get the coilovers out of my garage, and get the 172 looking sexy on the drive!! i hate high cars!!
but alas the top cups would not budge at all, and looked pretty seized on so i decieded to leave it and get my mate to come round with an impact gun tomorrow eve, and they shall not stand a chance :D
IMG_0610.jpg

tomorrow, depending on if the brakes and shims get delivered, ill get fitting all the mods to the rear beam!! and as long as it isnt raining!!

stay tuned!

Clio Sport 172 ITB
ooooo i haz job for you now! remove boot skin and fit pins! looking good tho mate.. love your old mk1 tho! was good at tdi :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
job for me?! lol

little update!! since the weathers been so forgiving (if bloody cold) ive tried to get as many little jobs here and there as i can!!

it took me a whole day to fit the bonney catches shamefully, theyre really iritatingly hard to line up nicely, theyre still not perfect because of the angle the pins sit, and the angle in which the bonnet swings down at, but they work, and look mean so im happy!!
Southend-on-Sea-20111213-00101.jpg

Southend-on-Sea-20111213-00100.jpg

Southend-on-Sea-20111213-00098.jpg

Southend-on-Sea-20111213-00097.jpg

Southend-on-Sea-20111213-00096.jpg

and since my mate made such little work of the suspension tops last night, i thought id have a little front end sort out today!!
so the wheels came off, as did the front suspension.
decieded because of the little amount im gna drive it, im not going to run arch liners, (which was good since the O/S/F was missing)
so took them and the bumper off and had a little clean up!!
IMG_0621.jpg

after my little clean ;)
IMG_0623.jpg

Ive found quite a bit of evidence to imply there has been some kind of accident in the past, all on the same side; the spring was snapped, the bumper mount was torn off, half of the arch liner was missing, and the other half was nut and bolted in (badly). however the paint on the bumper doesnt seem new, and all the running gear seems straight, so i dont think it was very serious. Most likely someones rammed it up a curb faar to quickly!!
IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

i wanted the upper slam pannel off too, but the aircon rad was too close to get the bolts out, so that had to come out!! as did the fuel purge valve since i had bumper and arches off already!
IMG_0625.jpg

my lovely fix to stop the air leek from lack of purge valve! ;)

so after a heavy days modding she has a new front end stance!!

BEFORE
IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

AFTER

BEFORE
IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

AFTER

i quite like the stance tbh, not overly low, but ill see how it looks when the rear coilovers are on too!!

i also found this shocker!!
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

aux belt was litterally completely slack!! and the scariest thing is, this wasnt on the MOT fail list!! im a bit worries about even moving it around the drive like this, but i guess with no slack its unlikely to cause damage if it flies off...may well remove it completely and simply charge the battery if it runs out just to be safe!!

Tomorrow, ill be fitting pins to the front bumper as the accident damage has torn one of the bumper mounts off.

thanks for reading!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
also note, though i personally dont mind the look of her without the grill, ive only left it out because ive got new headlights on the way and cant be bothered to put it back on purely to take it off again when the headlights get here!!

also fitted side repeaters and silvervisions!! lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i know what you mean dude,
gives it such a "track car" look!!

im tempted to leave it off, i will for now and see if the look wears on me! lol

Milltek'd clio 182
wow you legend! bet this car sounded quiter than your mk 1 lol, nice cumfy seats and a luxury journey home haha, nice thread mate, wondered where you had been hiding. anyway good luck and loving the bonnet catches, i would hate to drill through my bonnet lol.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
cheers dude!! i know what you mean, that bonnet was mint before i touched it! ;) luckily i havnt had a chance to really fall in love with the car yet!!

and tbh, it came with a big hole in the exhaust so there was a bit of grunt there, but i yearn for more!! and bucket seats!!
and its only a matter of time until someone buys this interior and the buckets will be back!!

Great progress already! Love the bonnet pins (on both bonnet and rear tailgate). Im actually toying with the idea of them on mine in the future.

Looking forwards to seeing next steps...

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i love the look!! going to do the front bumper too tomorrow as one of the mounts has torn off and it cant be refitted properly!!

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Looks good so far!
How will you stop people just opening the boot and nicking things?
Or is the standard lock still there?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
all in a days work eh?

i love aero catches, think they look so mean and agressive :) i keep toying doing the same to mine but i get scared of the thought of ruining my bonnet and i pu$$y out lol!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great work mate, pretty sure bomber or someone on here had done the front bumper with aero catches, it looked awesome and was quick release.

Put that grille back in, the rad is delicate enough as it is!!!!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Looks good so far!
How will you stop people just opening the boot and nicking things?
Or is the standard lock still there?

the standard catch is still there, i just added the pins because i was worries about the boot flexing!! lol

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

heres one or two pics from todays work!!
i stripped all the ancillaries off the engine until she was completely naked!! (filthy slut)
then i added (as you can see in the pic) two powerder coated black alternator mounts, and a valver alternator, these are the only ancillaries and has saved me around 10+kg's, plus reduced the drag on the engine by quite a bit AND made the engine bay much simpler and easier to work on!!

only drawback is, i now dont have an aux belt as the only i had doesnt fit due to (i think) bigger pullies!! :( so need to work out exactly what one i need and get it!! lol

also fitted the rear coilovers and arb which was a bit of a pain, no pics as the light was fading rather fast but i shall endevour to get some tomorrow!!

thanks for reading!!

and Rob, i want to get a matt black grill to go with the catches and front badge, will still give it the same kind of look, but the alternator and rad will be protected!! :)