ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub 8min Nordschleife MK2?

Clio 172 Ph1
This is a theoretical question, I likely will never have the skill to achieve a time like this no matter the car.

Do you think it's possible for a 172 to break the sub 8 minute mark on the Nordschleife with the right mods and driver?

The fastest I've seen is 8:21 in a Ph1 with coilovers & geo (and uniball joints on tie rod ends, ball joint and dome bearing):

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
There was a German lad with a 182 when we were there. Lived in the next village and used to go around daily on his way home from work.

Reckons he was sub 8 minutes. Obviously, we didn't believe him as we were struggling to get under 9 minutes in ours :ROFLMAO:

Proper stripped-out machine, half cage, LSD, 2 seats etc...

I never saw him on the circuit but a karting lad I know was there in his tricked-out Mini (7.53 BTG) and said he was as quick as him.

Nothing on the Tube, so I can only take his word for it. The locals there know the circuit inside out and anybody who regularly does track days on the same circuit knows how quickly you can master a track.

That place still scares the hell out of me.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Pretty certain the lads from The Crown did a Sub 8 in their Mk2.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Modern tyre tech really helps here, I wouldn’t have thought it would be an issue.

God knows why you’d want to do that.

RS200
Some years ago now, I did 8:31 in a standard power (146) and standard trim MX-5 that only had Koni suspension and a set of Toyo's to differentiate from what came out the factory. The biggest issue is the time between the corners not the speed around them. Going up Kesselchen and particularly round Mutkurve the speed drops to about 85 and there is nothing you can do but wait till the top. If you can get the speed from Kallenhard right up to the top, the rest becomes a lot easier.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That much is obvious, did you read my first post?

I doubt if I'd even get a sub 9 lol
Yes I did. If you spend as much money on going around the ring as on mods then it wouldn't be too difficult.

I reckon my old car would have done it, but I'm not capable enough either 😂

Clio 172 Ph1
Yes I did. If you spend as much money on going around the ring as on mods then it wouldn't be too difficult.

I reckon my old car would have done it, but I'm not capable enough either 😂
I might have to beg my boss to let me move out there for 3 years and then maybe I'd make an 8:45 😂