ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supra, or Clio 172? Hmmn...

Clio sport 1.2 16v
Why, oh why is it cheaper for me to insure a UK spec (340Bhp) Supra 3.0 twin turbo, (£536) than it is to insure a bog standard baguette carrying 172? (£775)

These are both quotes from Confused.com. Exactly the same circumstances, location, security, etc, all TPFT.

(If only I could find a Supra TT in manual for less than 7k!)

Any ideas?

the supra looks a bit dated imo, but will be alot quicker, and probably with alot more problems aswell

LY V6 with Recaros
I found that confused came back with some ridiculous priced quotes for me! Still, I do remember ages ago I was looking to get a Supra, and the insurance was surprisingly cheap for a standard TT.

RB 182 with CUP packs
Ask youself do you like going fast in a straight line ONLY or do you like going moderately quickly on straights & quickly around corners?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i'm amazed at that. Last quote i had on a supera (a few years back now) was over 3k, I went for an M3 instead (still over £1500).

Impreza P1
What a car i know what i'd get. Engines are sound too from what I know about them straight 6 3.0 lots of potential.

Clio sport 1.2 16v
the supra looks a bit dated imo, but will be alot quicker, and probably with alot more problems aswell

Hmmn, I would rather have a Japanese car than a French one for reliability.

As for the dated looks? I dont agree with that. Clio's somewhat look like toy car's.

You are indeed right about a Supra being much faster though, 340bhp stock trim, with a few mods (BPU kit) 460Bhp at a cost of £743 from www.suprastore.com

K-tec do have some interesting stories of their 240bhp Clio not being passed all day on track days, out accelerating, or at least keeping up with 500bhp Skylines. But, I simply can't justify £6000 for a Turbo kit, when I could buy a Supra for that kinda dough, allbeit an auto tranny.

I would love to see a Clio-T with uprated crank, conrods, headwork, cams, lightened and balanced crank, flywheel, low comp pistons, water injection, boost increase, bigger Turbo, and Intercooler, all propperly set up and mapped. Oh, and a Racelogic traction/launch controll unit!

As for Supras not handling, thats not true, they can be made to handle very well, just look at the touge/best motoring guys.

Car quotedRENAULT CLIO RENAULTSPORT 172 16V 2000-2003 1998cc 3 DOOR HATCHBACK Manual PetrolSearch date10/04/2007Protected NCBNoYears NCB4​
bottomLeft.gif
bottomRight.gif

All prices quoted include insurance premium tax
Company PriceLegal
Cover
Pay Monthly
(subject to credit policy)
FlexiBell
tick.gif
£724.50 optional extra</SPAN>check with insurer

Car quotedTOYOTA SUPRA RZ TWIN TURBO 1993-1999 2997cc COUPE Manual PetrolSearch date31/03/2007Protected NCBNoYears NCB4​
bottomLeft.gif
bottomRight.gif

All prices quoted include insurance premium tax
Company PriceLegal
Cover
Pay Monthly
(subject to credit policy)
FlexiBell
tick.gif
£531.30 optional extra</SPAN>check with insurer​

Last edited:
  Turbos.
Defo not got a quote on the older Supra? Doesn't matter where they are from, they are all group 20. I wouldn't get TPFT on a Supra though, you're asking for trouble...

Clio sport 1.2 16v
Defo not got a quote on the older Supra? Doesn't matter where they are from, they are all group 20. I wouldn't get TPFT on a Supra though, you're asking for trouble...

It matters to Insurance company, on account of parts availability, and weatherproofing, undersealing etc. Hence why they ask if it's an Import or not.

What makes you say having a Supra TT on TPFT would be asking for trouble?

the supra does look dated.. and as for the problems, the clio's are fairly trouble free, i reckon a massive power'd turbo car, being older etc, would be alot more costly to run

A slow one :-(
When I bought my Cup I always wanted a Supra TT. Had to ask myself exactly the same question... bit of a no brainer for myself.

I do over 300 miles a week easy... I'd rather do that in a 3 year old car rather than a 8 year old car. If I lived in town, then I'd of probably got the Supra TT and got the bus to work!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I found it cheaper for me to insure a brand new Seat Leon 2.0 Tdi FR 170 (£19k) than insure a 2nd-hand Clio 172 (£6k) :S

Just a pity about the price of the Leon lol

Clio 172 mk2
Supra pretty reliable if looked after....if they go wrong though (turbo) your talking big bucks.

Elise 111R
What makes you say having a Supra TT on TPFT would be asking for trouble?

You kidding.... i would of thought a 300 bhp + supra would be hard work in the wet etc alot more likely to be spun and crash tpft means you loose the car but then again were talking 4 - 7k i presume so may not be worth claiming (if your in the position to do so)

Also you dont always crash when pushing it, so the line my little brother gives to my parents oh i wont drive the Golf (GTI) fast so dont need full comp is not really true....

Mountune Tractor
I couldn't tell you why the clio is more expensive to insure but I would go for the supra if i could afford running costs. They do look a bit dated but if you stick some nice wheels on, exhaust, lower and t-bar and they are absolute sex.

Monaro VXR
As long as they stay mildly tuned there alright cars the big horsepower ones are just dyno queens though. Just forever increasing in revs and nothing happens until you get to around 5500rpm and the turbo eventually kicks in and you get 800hp for 1000rpm. Pretty much use less.

But they are getting on a bit and do look dated. And £6000 id be checking that car big time as decent examples still go for a lot more cash and parts are not cheap. You can pay double that for a mint example. And the autos are typically slightly faster.

Clio sport 1.2 16v
Well, didnt get a Supra, but I got something pre-turbo'd, a Nissan 200SX turbo S14. Got the money to get a Norris Designs 240(BHP) upgrade, and buy a seperate FMIC and ECU remap, should be good for 280bhp then!

Running standard 200bhp right now. Handfull in the wet!

'02 MG TF160
Unfortunately the Clio has a bit of a boy-racer-southend-cruise image in the eyes of insurers.

I'm paying the same on my 172 as i paid on my RX-7 a year ago. Mental.