ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Fitting Problem. HELP PLEASE

Hello everyone.

mk1 clio 1.8 16v, was once a 1.4rt.

just fitting a valver suspension to it after having it on axel stands for 6 months and on standard 1.4 suspension before that and i don't think its right.

I'm fitting the spring followed by:-
The top spring plate,
a bearing of some sort (flat side down, is this right?)
a rubber dohnut type thing,
a steel almost "T" shaped spacer,
a small brass nut
and then from inside the engine bay lastly the renault top nut.

My problem is that when the weight of the car is lowered back onto the springs and the top nut is as tight as it can go... the top nut fits half inch or so proud of the steel.
i've tried various different ways and different parts but it doesn't seem right, i must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone help???
Thanks

Chris

BMW M3
Do you mean the rubber donut bit?

Mine is slightly above it... think thats normal.

Dont really know mate.

Lionel Richie
have you tried fitting the top cap to the fully assembled strut unit off the car?? the top cap should fit over the small retaining nut when tightened

yeah its fitting over the nut, i checked this out before as i thought it may have been a safety nut or something but no its the proper renault one.
am i right in thinking it should not sit proud?

Lionel Richie
no, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn your wheels! (the whole strut rotates when you turn the steering wheel)

so the top cap HAS to be clear of the body

can you post a pic?

the whole strut rotates even the top?
i'll take a picture now yeah but aint got a clue how to post it.
if anyone reading has a pic of the top of a clio suspension strut attached the car could you please post or direct me to it....

thankyou

As in the renault nut (the big saucer shaped one) is above the strut housing/bulkhead bit?

If so mine always has, think its normal.

Lionel Richie
5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

looks fine to me