ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Help-MOT Failure

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
SORRY CAN A MOD MOVE THIS TO THE SUSPENSION SECTION RATHER THAN ENGINE, GEARBOX & RUNNING GEAR

Hi,

Car failed MOT on 2 things

1) Nearside front Macpherson Strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment. [2.5.A.1.c]

2) (can not adjust) Headlamp aim too low.

There were also advisor notes on Nearside front steering rack gairtor deteriorated.
Nearside front shock abosrber has a light misting of oil
Slight play in the steering rack
Front brake pads starting to wear thin.

I've been told the misting could just be due to hitting a pot hole and if I was to wipe the shock clean as long as it does not reappear it is fine. With regards to the excessive movement at upper attachment what is there I can do about this? Does this mean that it needs replacing or is it fixible? I had the car lowered approx 15 months ago on Spax shocks and spring kit and would hope that it would last longer than 15 months and less than 8000 miles.

If I need a replacement does anyone know what warrent Spax themselves give. The kit was supplied and fitted by KTEC and I would assume they guarentee for 12 months but will contact on MOnday, I am just wondering if Spax themselves have a longer warrenty on their kits.

If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. I have to have it in for a retest by next Sat :(. I am so broke it is unbelieable!

Last edited:
  mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
its your top strut mont that needs replaceing they are only 15pounds from a motor factors.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Is this something you have had go? Do you have a weblink for them? I did google, but couldn't find them. Cheers

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
its your top strut mont that needs replaceing they are only 15pounds from a motor factors.

OK, if it take it back to the MOT station they should be able to do it then shouldn't they, they asked if the car had been lowered and had replacement struts and then said it was the strut that was knackered. Not once did they say they could fix it and try to sell that to me which you'd expect from a car garage.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
New top mounts needed by the sound of it. You have angel eyes dont you aswell? Swap them back for the standard lights and it should be ok.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
New top mounts needed by the sound of it. You have angel eyes dont you aswell? Swap them back for the standard lights and it should be ok.

Cool, don't have the lights anymore. I think the problem is the aim adjuster at the back, which I am led to believe is not part of the lights. I know if you open the bonnet you can see a cricular space on the edge of the engine bay and below it a plastic nut type thing. By inserting a screwdriver I can raise the height and have done on one, but the other goes up a bit, clicks and then falls down. I really hope it is not part of the lights and can be rectified. The MOT station said they could adjust it, but not using the auto leveller.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
on the rack theres a ball and socket join inside the gaiter that normaly wear and give play in the rack they are replacaeble about 30pounds a side.

|I've been told the misting could just be due to hitting a pot hole and if I was to wipe the shock clean as long as it does not reappear it is fine. With regards to the excessive movement at upper attachment what is there I can do about this? Does this mean that it needs replacing or is it fixible? I had the car lowered approx 15 months ago on Spax shocks and spring kit and would hope that it would last longer than 15 months and less than 8000 miles.

If I need a replacement does anyone know what warrent Spax themselves give. The kit was supplied and fitted by KTEC and I would assume they guarentee for 12 months but will contact on MOnday, I am just wondering if Spax themselves have a longer warrenty on their kits.

if the kit was fitted by an autorised dealers then its a lifetime warenty otherwise its 1 or 2 years i think however getting a spax kit to last as long as you have is good I never got more than a few k or 3 month from mine

Lots of Alfas
As regards to the headlamp problem (this happened on the ph2 i breifly owned), chances are the little plastic thing has fallen out that the adjuster server rests on causing the light to drop down low and adjusting it doesnt make any difference. You just need to pop the plastic lug back on which will probably be inside the light cluster somewhere.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
failed a few top mounts on clios easy fix hours labour + the part

Hi mate,

Saw the part on Eurocar parts (cheers for the link) F1 Autocentre are charging £100 for supply and fit and the cheeky buggars want £25 for adjusting the headlights. Does £100 sound reasonable. My mechanic said he could do it for £85 but not until next friday and by then no free MOT retest.