ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drive in 197 cup?

LY 200
Whilst at Renault Saturday i had a little gander of a 197 they had in there showroom for the first time and as soon as i sat in it i thought 'i like this'......The seats (non recaros) were in a different league, the steering wheel and dash also looked and felt the part and not to mention the fact it felt sturdier even just sitting in it stationary!!! Lol

Am i going to like it more when i drive it!? I wasnt planning on a new car in the future at all as iv barely covered any milage in what i have over the past few years but im a little bit worried now that il be a good few k worse off within the next few months.

Now a few of us have them and we shouldve got over the 'new is rubbish jib' are the 197's better than the 182's? If so why and how?

To be fair to the dealer he gave pro's and con's for both rather than telling me the new one was far superior but i think im going to like it personally!!!

Jay

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
depends what you call better.

e.g better "drive" or safer for the family?

can of worms really, no-one ever agrees.

197 is better built and allegedly handles better, I cant really pass any personal comment on that having only driven a 182 for a short period of time.

182 can feel faster in a straight line, but having been out a couple of times with Vdust182 I can honestly say that there is nothing in it in a straight line.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
You're right about the "new is rubbish" thing, by that logic the horse and cart is still the option to go for. However if that doesn't appeal, the 197 handles better, stops better and should leave a 182 behind on a point to point run. It could be argued that the 182 feels more lively, but the 197 does have to driven harder than a 182 to get the best from it.

LY 200
depends what you call better.

e.g better "drive" or safer for the family?

Simply a weekend drive really as it will hardly ever get driven during the week. I just got the impression i was in a solid car where i dont when getting in the 182 and didnt in my old valver hybrid.......The dash and interiour felt like it had come on alot too but maybe on a proper drive il think differently.

The chap in the the showroom did say the 197 needs to be revved hard to feel fast but his impression was that it was slightly better than the 182.

Wouldnt say the cup is any better put together tbh. The dash is naff.

Yes I have driven both 197cup and 197ff.

182 FF Inferno
I think the 197 looks huge when you compare it to a 182. I'd imagine its better built but there seems to be a lot of niggly problems looking round the forums.

When the time comes to trade in the 182 (bearing in mind I've just got it, so looking at 2 years), I'll probably be looking at a Meggy F1. Although if the Government contunue to punish drivers, could be a Twingo RS.

LY 200
What were the pros and cons highlighted by the dealer?

He basically said the 182's like a little go kart. Good handling and feels faster than it is due to it feeling much lighter......He also said that its easier to drive fast. He did say that he doubted i would find the 197 faster on the drive although he believed it was which is fair play.

The 197 he said was bigger (obviously as it looks bigger even from the outside), more spacious for people in the back (irrelivent for me really), bigger boot (irrelivent for me again as im no golfer), better seats and interior (which i obviously agreed on anyway as theres no getting away that it is a mark up on the previous), its better built and he reckoned it also had better handling which i may or may not be able to tell from the weekend.

He also reckoned the induction noise was better on the 197 also but maybe i will or wont be able to tell this having a BMC on mine currently anyway!?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
He also reckoned the induction noise was better on the 197 also but maybe i will or wont be able to tell this having a BMC on mine currently anyway!?
would have to agree. you can hear it on the autocar (or express) vid with the ibiza cupra, MCW and C-VXR,

197 does sound good in that

Clio 197 - TBP style
I love the 197 and i never thought i would, in the last year i have had a 225 cup (same set up as the F1) and a R26 and recently got the 197, and i woint be having another meggy for a while, the 197 makes you feel fantastic when you drive it (anything above 5k RPM)

LY 200
Il have a little gander at that tonight mr millerlight.

m4tty100, i never thought id like them either hence why i havnt give one a second glance over the two years they've been on the market but i must say i was sort of taken back by how nice it looked and felt inside the weekend hence booking the test drive.

I suppose iv just been taking note of all the diehard 172/182 fans dislike of them for too long. ;)

Swift Sport
I've had a 172, a 182 and now a 197.... I would pretty much agree with what has been said. The 197 does feel better built, does handle better and is generally a nicer drive.

172/182's do feel quicker, and possibly more 'fun'... but the 197 is the superior car.

It just depends on your budget and personal opinion really!

Clio 197 - TBP style
Il have a little gander at that tonight mr millerlight.

m4tty100, i never thought id like them either hence why i havnt give one a second glance over the two years they've been on the market but i must say i was sort of taken back by how nice it looked and felt inside the weekend hence booking the test drive.

I suppose iv just been taking note of all the diehard 172/182 fans dislike of them for too long. ;)

I wouldnt have the Cup though mate, IMO its better getting the standard one with the cup pack and then you really get the best of both for not loads extra.

LY 200
To be honest chaps as said i dont know too much about them but i will research them more.

The chap was saying about the mp3 player and recaro option (which im not too fussed about) but i know il be wanting the standard wheels as opposed to the ruibbish (imo) looking cup ones.

I will want at least the equivilant goodies to my ff cup packed 182 presently.

Swift Sport
To be honest chaps as said i dont know too much about them but i will research them more.

The chap was saying about the mp3 player and recaro option (which im not too fussed about) but i know il be wanting the standard wheels as opposed to the ruibbish (imo) looking cup ones.

I will want at least the equivilant goodies to my ff cup packed 182 presently.

A regular 197 with the Cup pack would be right up your street imo.

You get the best of everything, only thing better still is the R27... but you're paying extra for the stickers and the "limited edition" plaque :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ive had a 172 cup, 182 cup packed, and now a 197. Sister has just got a RB 182 cup packed. Came home sunday morning in the 197.... the 197 was 'on it 'by they way, the noise, gearbox etc :) Picked up the 182 for some work at Birchdown. By jumping out of the 197 straight into the 182 a few things struck me. The 182 just feels more 'gruff'. On start up, there is more vibration through the cabin, the Clutch is heavier, as too is the steering (although not a bad thing). Steering wheel felt all hard and cheap compared to the 197. Also the poor seating position memories came flooding back.... Still, low down the 182 does feel more punchy, that i will admit...... and has more of a 5k kick ;) But, imo 197 sounds better, feels better, and is more refined too. Point to point there is no marked difference in pace. That said i would go back to a 182 if i needed to downgrade ;)

RenaultSport Megane R26.R
Never been in a 182, so can't give an accurate opinion, but i will comment on how i found the 197 Cup on my test drive.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of mine, but on the test drive of one i did a little while ago, i was seriously impressed.

Didn't feel as fast as you were going, but i know this was just the feeling the car gave due to increase in size possibly? I owned a 106 GTi before, so going from that to the Clio was completely different, although they are both classed as hot hatches.

Clio impressed me with the build quality mostly. Again, going from a 106 it was unbelievably better. Guess newer cars have that sturdier feel now, but being French i wasn't expecting it.

Recaro seats are a must also. They sold it for me.

Also, go & test drive on, then drive by a window so you can see the reflection. You fall in love. :p

320d
197 is better built and allegedly handles better, I cant really pass any personal comment on that having only driven a 182 for a short period of time.

182 can feel faster in a straight line, but having been out a couple of times with Vdust182 I can honestly say that there is nothing in it in a straight line.

Christophers 182 beat Kneels 197 by a a fair few car lengths at a NW meet. Say 4 car lengths over 300ish meters if my memory serves me correctly.

Mind you chris had a miltek and decat and his was well run in and kneels 197 was 6 months old.

Not taking sides though i'd consider it a privelidge to own either.

I will hopefully own both in the future.

Clio 197, Civic Type R
197s are better then 182s most has already been said they look way better aswell i think, but my friend tried to say they look like theyr on steds LOL

LY 200
197s are better then 182s most has already been said they look way better aswell i think, but my friend tried to say they look like theyr on steds LOL

Haha, constructive......I take it you've driven 182's before then to come to that conclusion?

Why are 197's so much better? Pro's and con's of both would be handy!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Has anyone on here out anymore than 40k on ther 197 yet can i ask>?

To say that the 197 is more reliable is rubbish to be honest, you either get a friday afternoon car or a monday morning car, its just your donald duck on how well it copes through out its life.

Renault dont make 100% reliable cars.

Ive read a few stories on here about 197's and there problems, i.e the stitching coming from the Recaro seats, the kangaroo effect when cold etc

If thats reliability then fair enough but i genuinley think that theres not much margin between a 182 and a 197 on the reliability front imo.

I think its a matter of preference on what you prefer through out the range.

But im pretty sure at somepoint when they were manufacturing the Clio Williams all they years ago and people were bringing them back with faults they thought

"we are going to have to do better next time...."

Christophers 182 beat Kneels 197 by a a fair few car lengths at a NW meet. Say 4 car lengths over 300ish meters if my memory serves me correctly.

Mind you chris had a miltek and decat and his was well run in and kneels 197 was 6 months old.

Not taking sides though i'd consider it a privelidge to own either.

I will hopefully own both in the future.

Thats modded vs standard so not really fair comparison.

My only experience of direct comparison is with vdust182 and he was behind and said there was nothing in it....

My car was on sub 1000miles and his about 40k iirc

RB R27
People keep talking about the reliability of the 197...and mines blew up the day I got it. Yeah it was 2nd hand, but it still shouldn't have happened. For the brief time that I drove it I was expecting a lot more in the lower revs, but once into the higher revs, above 4k, the thing just took off.

Shed.
Whilst at Renault Saturday i had a little gander of a 197 they had in there showroom for the first time and as soon as i sat in it i thought 'i like this'......The seats (non recaros) were in a different league, the steering wheel and dash also looked and felt the part and not to mention the fact it felt sturdier even just sitting in it stationary!!! Lol

Am i going to like it more when i drive it!? I wasnt planning on a new car in the future at all as iv barely covered any milage in what i have over the past few years but im a little bit worried now that il be a good few k worse off within the next few months.

Now a few of us have them and we shouldve got over the 'new is rubbish jib' are the 197's better than the 182's? If so why and how?

To be fair to the dealer he gave pro's and con's for both rather than telling me the new one was far superior but i think im going to like it personally!!!

Jay

If you get to wring it's neck then yeah, i think you will like it more than the MK2.

Although theres no real kick like there was in the 172 it seems more of a smooth twin cam progression through the revs, it wasnt as fast as id hoped but i rekon that a good few thousand miles of battering it would see it open up a little bit. It was incredibly stiff and grounded with a very bumpy ride, might as well have been on coilovers tbh, but i like this in a car, i didnt get to drive it like i wanted as it was busy, but it felt as through you could really push it into corners. It's a bigger car (obviously) but it seems more grown up and the build quality was a bit better. Much prefer the MK3 over the MK2 now.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats modded vs standard so not really fair comparison.

My only experience of direct comparison is with vdust182 and he was behind and said there was nothing in it....

My car was on sub 1000miles and his about 40k iirc

I had my old standard 182 against a standard 197, and it was who ever pressed the loud pedal first...... splitting hairs speed wise. I'd put good money on my 197 being bang on with Christophers. Its now got 25k on the clock, so nicely run in ;)

Mondeo TDCI 130
I had my old standard 182 against a standard 197, and it was who ever pressed the loud pedal first...... splitting hairs speed wise. I'd put good money on my 197 being bang on with Christophers. Its now got 25k on the clock, so nicely run in ;)

From memory the 197 driver was s**t though!?:quiet:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^Indeed!!! ;) Most gimps on here have never even seen/driven a 197 ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Just mpg is a big down side to owning a 197 for me.

Being so lardy and having a fair power outage from a mere two litre it does suffer. For what MPG a 197 returns you could have a Alfa 147 GTA or Focus RS or maybe even look at getting a 225. What exagerates the difference though is how good 182's are on petrol.

I know you don't do many miles Jay, so it isn't really a major consideration for you, but is something I may bear in mind if I knew of a potential change of job etc was in the pipe line.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I average 28mpg, and thats a good mix of town and B road thrashing. Costs about £10 a week more in petrol in my experience of having both.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I always think comparing MPG can be difficult to see the big picture.

28 Doesn't sound to bad, but when considering you would probably get mid 30's from the same drive on a 182 that is 7mpg difference/less.

Multiply that out and on a full tank its 'about' 100 miles less on the 13 gallon tank.

Over a year it does add up to a substantial amount esp if you are doing 8,000 plus miles.

I suppose its a bad example to go off but from what owners have said on here, 28 is a pretty good combined figure. I have seen worse but I don't want to draw to many comparisons as I ultimatley don't have the experience of running one.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I always think comparing MPG can be difficult to see the big picture.

28 Doesn't sound to bad, but when considering you would probably get mid 30's from the same drive on a 182 that is 7mpg difference/less.

Multiply that out and on a full tank its 'about' 100 miles less on the 13 gallon tank.

Over a year it does add up to a substantial amount esp if you are doing 8,000 plus miles.

I suppose its a bad example to go off but from what owners have said on here, 28 is a pretty good combined figure. I have seen worse but I don't want to draw to many comparisons as I ultimatley don't have the experience of running one.

Indeed, my Cup and 182 were reading around 31/32 MPG

320d
Just mpg is a big down side to owning a 197 for me.

Being so lardy and having a fair power outage from a mere two litre it does suffer. For what MPG a 197 returns you could have a Alfa 147 GTA or Focus RS or maybe even look at getting a 225. What exagerates the difference though is how good 182's are on petrol.

I know you don't do many miles Jay, so it isn't really a major consideration for you, but is something I may bear in mind if I knew of a potential change of job etc was in the pipe line.

Combined MPG figure is lower for the 197 than the Meggy 225 only by about 1mpg but still.

And the 197 should be around 182 pace as its only 4bhp/ton less.

Tbh a way of comparing a 197 to 182 is to compare the 182 to the 172.

Same pace, different handling characteristics.

Obvously the 182 was a lot more similar to the 172 than it is 197 but the driving characteristic changes are sim ilar by all accounts.