ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tested out the new Clio R.S. EDC today

220 Trophy, EVO 8
​Today I had the opportunity to try the new Clio R.S. EDC on a small track with our club, well... Here are a few photos...

249066_491534090914608_1720939618_n.jpg

947395_491534127581271_1546929144_n.jpg

RS200 cup vs RS200 cup EDC

969411_491534200914597_530425927_n.jpg

166025_491534210914596_140050198_n.jpg

960235_491534270914590_1191322197_n.jpg

581688_491534290914588_117459914_n.jpg

972093_491534404247910_1155822348_n.jpg

And we had to do a drag-race just to test the new Launch control and overall to see if the new car is faster than the old one from 0-100... Well, see for yourself...

This run was against a limited edition Angel&Demon and was in SPORT mode

This run was against a LY with akrapovic evolution and in RACE mode (you can see the massive wheelspin and I miss the start a little)

Overall it's a nice and very much different R.S. than the previous models. The gearbox and the engine is nice. Torque feels rly well. Suspension could be a bit stiffer (all tested models were cup, but still too soft for me) and the seats are horrible. Gearshifts were faster than I expected. Overall, it's a nice car but I still prefer the looks of a RS200 with cup spoiler and the gas consumption of a 172/182 =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I can't believe how good the outgoing 200 looks now lo!

it looks so much Lower, wider, sportier than the new one. The standard wings on the new one are a right let down.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
agree with knuckles, I didn't think the new one would make the 200 actually look pretty good ;)

however its good news that the drivetrain seems to be performing well and if suspension can be stiffened a little more then should be a good car, bar the looks

An orange one
Why didn't they just give it rear door handles, I honestly think it would look nicer, the front doors look too short and it's obvious there is rear doors there anyways!

197 > 200 > 200T

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
UrbanD, do you know what distinguishes the standard car from the cup?

​is it just the black door handles, and I'm guessing some cheap interior?

There is no 'Cup' model. They're all the same spec and interior wise.

you can specify the 'Cup' chassis which gives different springs/dampers/wheels/tyres...apart from that, everything is he same.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There is no 'Cup' model. They're all the same spec and interior wise.

you can specify the 'Cup' chassis which gives different springs/dampers/wheels/tyres...apart from that, everything is he same.

Sorry, this threw me off

OP; said:
(all tested models were cup, but still too soft for me)

I read that as 'cups' to 'cup packed'

... That sad, he did post

RS200 cup vs RS200 cup EDC

then posted a pic of a ff 200

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Give it 12months or someone who doesn't give a flying fook about preserving the Renault warranty and I'm sure we'll be seeing regular 250-300hp Clios.

I personally prefer the new incognito RS-4 looks over the stupid wide glued-on winged rubbish of recent as the potential for some unbelieveable sleepers is very real again. I'm not completely hating on the 197/200's as they're a capable car especially handling wise and the Clio III as a range is nice looking car with subtle mods but have you actually seen an R27 squeeze on to a 4 poster inspection ramp? #Fatboy

Maybe its becuase i'm now officially old, getting boring and not "down" with the kids which is why the new car appeals (especially over the gordy VXr range). The now old 172/182 didn't grab you by the eyeballs with OTT diffusers, massive track and other un-necesary bolt on's (that just added weight for the purpose of asthetics). It just upgraded the bits that needed it and had subtle styling flairs to make it look a little more aggressive and it was a great car because it just worked (except when the UCH's die).

I can't wait to get to spank the new one around Bedford soon and I'm sure it will make up my mind to buy one.

Mick

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Although I agree about the silly bhp, the all of the previous Clio's had proper flared arches, it's just the twingo and Megane that had stuck on bits.

​ill try and dig a pic out I took when I almost got my r27 stuck in a back alley while lost in Chester lol!

cant find the pic but it was a 90 degree bend into a road that I had to breathe in and just say got through with the wing mirrors turned in :(

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Nice write up.

The top picture makes the new clio look alright but in every other picture, I have to say I'm really not keen at the moment.

I'm fully aware people will mod the new one to death & it'll be rapid, but it just doesn't seem as 'special' if you can use that word for a clio.

P.S. Nice wonkey bonnet on the 200 ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Whilst I'm aware of the Clio IV thread and not wanting to go too far OT here or start splitting hairs the X65 front arches were subtly flared. The 197/200 were masively OTT and on standard track and wheels they could've easily ran the Dynamique-S wings without any issue. I do like them to drive though and kinda toyed with buying one recently but everytime I looked at the average cost of repairs to them it made me want to run.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Nice write up, good to see some other pictures rather than just press one's

Just a shame about the poor reviews so far

172 Cup
Does looks good! Although is it just me or does it loo like renault took a lot of their styling from seat?

107 Track Car & C4
I actually think the 200 EDC looks more aggresive than the outgoing car. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh in a few months time

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The more I look at it the more I think it looks MUCH better than a 200/197.

I also think 200T looks much better than 200, if only they offered more colours to choose from (there is this expensive Sirius yellow, then red and that's it for colourful colours - only white, black and silver are left). Every other car manufacturer offers at least some shade of blue which I would personally appreciate.

220 Trophy, EVO 8
Well, I think It looks OK on the outside except it's too high. The interior tho is not so pretty at least for me... I mean, just look at the middle console for example... What were they thinking...

dodatna3.jpg

From the back, the car actually looks too "German"... or "Italian"... I dont know, It's just not a regular Renault French feel...

dodatna2.jpg

dodatna1.jpg

I'm actually disappointed because despite the color, bigger wheels and rear spoiler, it looks the same as a normal Clio 4.

I am keen about the consumption, as they say It will easily get around 7-8 L / 100 km and that's around 2 litres less than the previous model so thats a thumbsup!

And yes, the only difference between a "normal" and a "cup" rs edc is stiffer suspension (about 15%) and lower ride height (3mm).

What really surprised me was the the new "hydraulic compression control system" or so they call it. The principle hinges on the incorporation of a secondary damper within the main damper’s body. The car feels less bumpy.

hidraulic.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I also think 200T looks much better than 200, if only they offered more colours to choose from (there is this expensive Sirius yellow, then red and that's it for colourful colours - only white, black and silver are left). Every other car manufacturer offers at least some shade of blue which I would personally appreciate.

i expect theyre saving blue for the gordini version

New one makes the old 200 look very very last decade to me. Would have had one if Renault got their pricing right.

What's the price difference in the UK? Here where I live, the Clio is about 20% more expensive when comparing the base prices but:

1. Clio is almost the full spec - the only extras are Cup chassis, rear parking camera (which Fiesta can't have) and leather seats. If you want a comparable spec Fiesta, you need to add navigation, automatic wipers, keyless entry and cruise control, all of which cost something. Fiesta is still cheaper after that but not that significantly.

2. Clio comes with 5yr warranty. For the same warranty with Ford, you have to pay them (2yr is standard).

3. Ford offered me zero discount while Renault went 18% down which actually made Clio cheaper than Fiesta.

Are things different in the UK?

BTW, Ford publish some Fiesta ST sales figures and almost 3000 have been already ordered, half of which goes to the UK. Which indicates that you Brits either love Fiestas or the price is really good there.

Titanium 182
I actually really like it, apart from the black wheels. I really fancy flappy paddles as I'm not a great driver anyway - I almost went for a nearly-new Fabia vRS before deciding on the cheap and cheerful 182.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What's the price difference in the UK? Here where I live, the Clio is about 20% more expensive when comparing the base prices but:

1. Clio is almost the full spec - the only extras are Cup chassis, rear parking camera (which Fiesta can't have) and leather seats. If you want a comparable spec Fiesta, you need to add navigation, automatic wipers, keyless entry and cruise control, all of which cost something. Fiesta is still cheaper after that but not that significantly.

2. Clio comes with 5yr warranty. For the same warranty with Ford, you have to pay them (2yr is standard).

3. Ford offered me zero discount while Renault went 18% down which actually made Clio cheaper than Fiesta.

Are things different in the UK?

BTW, Ford publish some Fiesta ST sales figures and almost 3000 have been already ordered, half of which goes to the UK. Which indicates that you Brits either love Fiestas or the price is really good there.

For me the difference was circa £3k.

Yes the RS Clio comes with more but I wouldn't spend money to get any of the things it includes. Navigation, auto lights/wipers, cruise control...are all of no interest to me at all. I'm quite happy turning a knob or pressing a button to do those things...I don't do motorways, and generally, I know where I'm going.

So it comes down to base price plus paint for the Fiesta (I also extended the warranty to 100k/5yr for £240), and base price plus paint plus Cup chassis for the Clio.

No discount on the Clio, but over £2k on the Ford.

It was a no brainer really!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I actually really like it, apart from the black wheels. I really fancy flappy paddles as I'm not a great driver anyway - I almost went for a nearly-new Fabia vRS before deciding on the cheap and cheerful 182.

Fair play to you fella, very rare for a male to admit he's not the best driver :clap:

Ph 1 172
Like the new look clio... All rs clios seem to be released a year too early as the it takes most people a year to realise it looks nice.
the only thing with the new one is the lorry size front renault diamond badge....it's fookin huge

For me the difference was circa £3k.

No discount on the Clio, but over £2k on the Ford.

It was a no brainer really!

Ah that really is a difference, I would probably go for Fiesta in that case too. No wonder Fiesta sells in the UK like crazy :)