ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The BEST Tenner iv spent for over 14months!

Italian 3.2 V6
Tap tap tap.. Tap tap.. Tapping away on the iPad bored as hell.. Outside is looking bleak and sorry for itself. Dogs are snoring & telly is bland. Nothing to do all day, nothing fun anyway! Pointless cleaning the car, done it 5 times already this Christmas holiday..

Only one option really.. Camera, jacket, wallet, keys. Not been on a good, proper drive in a 'quick' car since I had my crash end of 2011.. I'd already been out in the 182 for a drive to Moffat and back but weather was awful, especially with the budget tyres the 182 came with, so that didn't count.. Was silly conditions.*

So I set off, heading down the A689 from my house to... Hartside! 23 miles of sheer driving heaven.. Roads were damp/wet but the fresh Goodyear Eagle F1 filled me with plenty of confidence over the budget infinitys (FLOL).*

Radio off, Clear vision and very quite roads meant this was a gona be awesome! Car felt great, responsive and tight! Love the 15" wheels, makes the drive so much more enjoyable. 3rd, 4th, 5th that Yozza constantly trying to smash through my ear drums! ..Yet still no traffic, brilliant roads and awesome scenery.. Epic.

8341397825_73da307541_z.jpg

Hartside by PSJHodgson, on Flickr

Got to Alston, were the flawless A689 meets the infamous Hartside road.. The closer I got to the peak of Hartside the foggier it got, GUTTED.. But never the less I battled on in hope it might magically clear!

8341399853_a4111f7b12_z.jpg

8341402019_6985eff1eb_z.jpg

Creeped up to the Hartside Cafe through the heavy fog to find it dead.. Could barely see it! So i decided to tootle on past in hope on the way down the other side it may clear.. and so it did.. The best bit of Hartside was to come!

8341405149_86e20923d1_z.jpg

Roads still quite, passed maybe 3-4cars coming the opposite way.. Car still performing effortlessly, tyres digging in without worry that Yozza taking round two upon my ears! 4th, 3rd, 4th to 2nd.. It went on.. Going at a good steady yet safe pace. Then it dawned on me why I love these cars, why I love these road and most importantly why I love driving! That crash I had could of been the last time I drove.. But thank god it wasn't! It made me wiser and more aware of the roads. Not to be as daft or go as fast as it's not a race.. But more to feel the car, enjoy every turn, gear change and most importantly know the limits!

The weather was starting to spit & I came to the stage were the corners became alot more blind and the scenery was hooded by the trees and hills. Came to a good turning spot so I decided it would be best to turn around and head back.

8341408289_aa8f9eda17_z.jpg

8342473986_ebb525e272_z.jpg

And the way back up I took the chance to stop off and take some more pictures before I tucked the camera away for the day, as I was wanting to take full opatunity of driving.

8341419759_34054c8c4c_z.jpg

8342480564_43732f149b_z.jpg

8342483086_1c035b49b6_z.jpg

8341429011_a870d3d61a_z.jpg

8341432159_196cc510f8_z.jpg

After coasting back through the heavy fog at the peak, it once again cleared up and away I went. Stopped at Alston to chuck some fuel in, then off I went back down the A689 home. Another Epic 23miles back.

-------------------

This is a little different to what I normally do so please be gentle.. But I really enjoyed myself on this drive today.. I fell in love with the 182 and driving again, as tbh I was kinda nerves to stretch the cars legs as tbf it's been a while!*

Best bit about it though, it only cost me £10! Ten measly quid in this current climate is hard to get so much pleasure from. Infact I think I'm going to do it again tomorrow!

My ears are still ringin from that bloody Yozza!

Thanks, Piers.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Car looks great, good write up!

I agree re the not going balls out fast to have fun, I have had some of my best drives just making swift progress and enjoying myself rather than focussing on going as fast as you can, just not worth it on the roads, save that for a track day!

(excuse the pun :))

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Enjoyed that Piers, and great to know the crash hasn't ruined driving for you. Got to be the best thing about the mk2's, they're the perfect mix of pace and that go kart feeling we all love. They're not do fast that giving it hell on the road will see you either dead or in prison, and they're just raw enough that you can enjoy the road but still use the car practically.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looks great! Nice little write up.

I havnt been for a proper blast over Hartside since getting the 182 really, need to get back up there!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I love hartside Piers, it's literally my second home. I love going up the mountain from alston as you dont need to brake too much and can hustle the clio chassis all the way up, then from the cafe down to penrith is phenominal. I love the closeness to the walls etc.

I tend to go up in the dark as you know the roads are empty and you get to use all of it, especially handy when coming down the side towards penrith and your brakes are dead so you end up slinging it into the bends.

IF you're up for it we could sort a meet out at some point, maybe a night time drive out would be cool so we can all enjoy the roads without risking tourists lives.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks to Chris' post I've just realise where this is. I love that road so so much, JD's dad caught me on kirkstone pass after I'd been there and text him to ask if one of his 'Clio buddies' was hooning around the lakes... :eek:

So jealous you're local to this, like, insanely.

Italian 3.2 V6
Really happy with the response guys :) I might have to do another one in the future!

Apologies for some of the incorrect grammar.. I.e "opportunity" etc.

Thanks.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Have to get a meet organised when the weather picks up!

Cracking write up

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Great write up and great photos. Looks like a great road.
I love going out for a blast too. Cheers me up :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Really enjoyed reading that, the clios are really cracking cars, I used to love going up your way in mine. I picked up the Trophy form Carlisle last December and the drive home was one of the best I've had due to the empty roads.

Clio 197
Brilliant little story :approve:

Has made me rack my brains for a decent run out around my way now :D