ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'Cup' leg-end

53 Clio's & counting
Funny thing was said to me today, and not for the first time, had a compliment on my car, then was asked ' is it one of them cups?' to which i reply no, then i get the same old response 'oh you should have got one of them mate, they are much faster' and no matter what i tried to explain it fell on deaf ears, it seems to be the Cup has one hell of a rep!

Dont get me wrong, im not putting the cups down, but god they have a rep!

320d
Its just the name. Makes people think they're miles faster than a standard 172 for some reason. Technically they should be a little bit quicker, but as everybody on here knows there is nothing in it between any of the 1*2's in standard form.

I'm also not knocking cups, just the idiots who think i makes them a supercar.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its just the name. Makes people think they're miles faster than a standard 172 for some reason. Technically they should be a little bit quicker, but as everybody on here knows there is nothing in it between any of the 1*2's in standard form.

I'm also not knocking cups, just the idiots who think i makes them a supercar.

You sir have every right to dis' whom you like.

Your part of the elite few, the SAS of RenaultSport owners if you will :cool:

MCS R56
The Cup is the hero. Everyone loves a hero. Legend.

It's great reading all the comments from the regular sport owners trying their best to justify the toys over weight. They know they can't keep up!

The 172 Cup - the mans Clio!

320d
The Cup is the hero. Everyone loves a hero. Legend.

It's great reading all the comments from the regular sport owners trying their best to justify the toys over weight. They know they can't keep up!

The 172 Cup - the mans Clio!

Meh, it only weighs 14kgs less than a ph1 and I don't have to live in poverty ;)

53 Clio's & counting
lol some interesting views ;)

No, it wasn't someone having a laugh, unfortunately he was genuine, he told me how much faster the cup is than any other Clio, apparently his mate had one, so as we all know that means he is the total authority on Cups ROFL

Monaco 172 (02)
Ive had that before.
To be honest I just lie like a cheap chinease watch and say yes it is. I cant be @rsed with the hassle explaining the differences. :eek:

172 Cup
TBH nobody I know has a clue about the Cup, they just look in and go 'ooooooooh no leather!'.

The only real comment I have had is 'Really you got the Cup, no ABS, you will struggle to insure that' :S

I got my Cup from what I have read on here, plus IMO they look better.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i had a guy pull up at the lights and put his window down and rev it at me asking me if "i wanted to go for it" as he said lightweight cup version with a big grin on his face.

ohh really, bye bye lol

Titanium 182
Other people are tools, guy I know insisted his mates cup was 350bhp from a remap exhaust and filter.

He also did trackdays with no bonnet to cool the engine... LOL!

When people ask if mine is a cup I just say yes, it has the cup packs and I can't be arsed explaining that they were optional extras haha.

53 Clio's & counting
i think he means the idea behind the 172 cu was as much weight loss at possible, -89kgs, where the 182 cup only had a few things taken off, and only dropped the weight -20kgs

though the cup has the better suspension, so that is a good thing

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Well Ive had a 172 cup aswell, but the reason Renault changed was because they got slated for leaving things like abs off and air con by the press. It is 2009 and hot hatches have changed since 205 gti's.

53 Clio's & counting
Where did you read that mate? All reviews i read about the cup was if you wanted a more driver orientated car get the cup, if you wanted something with a bit more luxury buy the normal 172

im not slating the 182 cup, its just as good as the rest ( there is very little between the whole 1*2 range ) but the 172 cup was a good marketing piece and IMO i think they should have done the same with the 182

MCS R56
Any good reason for that like? Is it not a 182 with less weight. Yes the 172 was lighter but so was the ff172.

It's more than that but the weight is the factor. No ABS, no air-con, thinner windows, wider track, lighter wheels...

It's more like what they did with the R26.R, except not so hardcore. To say it's just a 172 with less weight isn't accurate. The 182 Cup doesn't really compare in 'Cup' terms.

I like them all but the Cup is the one!

MCS R56
Well Ive had a 172 cup aswell, but the reason Renault changed was because they got slated for leaving things like abs off and air con by the press. It is 2009 and hot hatches have changed since 205 gti's.

This is rubbish as they were out-selling the 172's when they were released. They were cheaper too, which was another added bonus. They were never slated for making it a drivers' car.