ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i have not worked on the car for a little while, this weekend would have been a good weekend to do a load, but there is not much left and i had to do a few other things,
one of these was to help my mate out (painter/sprayer), he is who has been helping me previously and will be painting the car, he has just moved premises to a much bigger workshop so everything needed painting, walls, floors, offices etc....friday and saturday job done, hopefully he will remember that favor...

and the majority of the rest of the weekend needed to be spent as quality time with the gf, however i did manage to squeeze in a bit of work this morning...
so i set about the interior loom....what a ballache...

below you can see the entire interior loom,
IMG_0750-1.jpg

things should be relatively easy to work out as i labelled most of the sockets when i removed them from the car, from this i should be able to tell what i need and want i don't and cut away as necessary
IMG_0753.jpg

so i had my tools set and got started,
IMG_0751.jpg

i got rid of all the heat shrink, foam covering etc etc on the standard loom and then started to cut away what i didn't need working from the plugs that i would no longer be needing,
below you can see the standard loom,
IMG_0754.jpg

and then the trimmed loom
IMG_0755.jpg

this is only masking taped up for ease now, i am still 100% sure this can come down alot more, it just seems i still have far too much, i think i can loose everything that goes to the door plugs now, i am wracking my brains for anything the doors will need...

here are both the rear looms, (that run down both sides of the car), they have already been trimmed down and i think are pretty much ready to go...
IMG_0756.jpg

and all the excess of today....
IMG_0759.jpg

i still have to tidy up alot of wires at this end, but if i am loosing more it is a massively ongoing job...
IMG_0758.jpg

any advice on any loom stuff would be massively helpful, i feel a little out of depth with it...lol

Good going! I trimmed a bit off my loom today.....just the wires that go to the passenger airbag lol! It's a start!

I'm worried the whole car will stop working if I cut something I think is insignificant!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Good going! I trimmed a bit off my loom today.....just the wires that go to the passenger airbag lol! It's a start!
I'm worried the whole car will stop working if I cut something I think is insignificant!

Can you just simply cut things off that are no longer needed?

um... i hope so...lol, so far i have cut away things that i don't need, heater bits etc etc....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
well it should technically be ok, the majority of the stuff inside the car does not run the engine,
i have so far kept all the bits that SHOULD effect the engine, and some things that don't

unless they have wired up the car strangely (they are french after all) then removing wiring, plugs etc that control heating and interior lights etc should be fine,
its things like the door locks / door sensors that i am a little worried about...ie if they are not there/not working will it trigger the immobiliser?

^That's what I'd like to know too!
Like the big connector that went into the airbag ECU thing, can I just cut that off?!

big orange one?
have you disconnected it then? if so and no light has come on the dash then i guess you could just cut it, but is there any point unless you are going to remove the whole airbag loom?

check early in my thread dan, i did it then...

340i
You can remove the whole airbag loom if you trace every wire back... As far as I am aware that's the only way so you don't get the airbag light come up on your dash.

You will be fine Neil, as you say nothing much engine related... Apart from the ignition / immobiliser part of the loom :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
the ignition loom will be staying complete as will the wiper stalk looms

the door looms (cabin side, not door) will probably go (both sides)
the rear looms are already done,
that only really leaves the services inside, all bar the cigarette lighter and hazard switch are gone i think,
the dash wires, most have been left, some have gone with other parts of the loom but this is not really an issuse, i just need it to get me 100miles really where it will be re-done anyways with the new digi-dash

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
ive just done my engine loom, nothing interlinked in there so now ive ditched the ecu and anything i didnt need along with it, hope to follow you with the interior loom next, looks like theres s**t loads more to f**k up in there tho, plus there are a few things id like to keep in place rather than out and out bare. looking good tho bud, how long till its back out to play?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ive just done my engine loom, nothing interlinked in there so now ive ditched the ecu and anything i didnt need along with it, hope to follow you with the interior loom next, looks like theres s**t loads more to f**k up in there tho, plus there are a few things id like to keep in place rather than out and out bare. looking good tho bud, how long till its back out to play?

i have to have a good conversation with matt, i am unsure what runs what in my engine loom as when that was done it was merged in with the standard loom and it all looks completely stock (even though i am running the bodies), this was because at the time everything else was standard, interior, dials etc etc. now i have this digi-dash i think a hell of a lot could change,
as for when it will be done, i have no idea, i am not going to set a date as i will only be dissappointed, lol. sooner rather than later but who knows...

Got my loom to do too. Not great when ure colour blind! :(

colour blindness should have nothing to do with it mate, i highly advise doing what i done and labelling the plugs as you remove them, then work back from there chopping off what you don't want.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
i have to have a good conversation with matt, i am unsure what runs what in my engine loom as when that was done it was merged in with the standard loom and it all looks completely stock (even though i am running the bodies), this was because at the time everything else was standard, interior, dials etc etc. now i have this digi-dash i think a hell of a lot could change,
as for when it will be done, i have no idea, i am not going to set a date as i will only be dissappointed, lol. sooner rather than later but who knows...

colour blindness should have nothing to do with it mate, i highly advise doing what i done and labelling the plugs as you remove them, then work back from there chopping off what you don't want.

Sounds like a good idea. Take it you just trace the wires back to the fuse locations and completely remove them?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a good idea. Take it you just trace the wires back to the fuse locations and completely remove them?

yeah mate thats what i have been doing, cutting excess off along the way also as there is sooooo much wire....
although some go to other places too...lol
thats where i am hoping they are not to important, we will see.

Qashcow
lol ^

rather you than me mate, i can only imagine the huge amount of wasted weight sat in my car still. next winter...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so more done today, finished chopping out what i started chopping out the other day, and then tidied up a bit.... but i am sure more can come off the looms... (more of that at the end...)

Starting off with the loom left from the other day.
IMG_0762.jpg

after speaking with chris (crispy) i knew/thought i could loose the entire door looms, so they quickly went, that removed a lot of extra wires...
IMG_0766.jpg

i then went about removing all the excess from the looms, i removed all the unused pins (male/female) from the smaller plugs, i really struggled to remove them from the bigger plugs / big ports, how has anyone else done this / left these?
IMG_0767.jpg

i then masking taped the looms up, i will tidy this up later on, another question though, does the interior loom need heat - shrinking or is it fine as is with zip-ties?
IMG_0768.jpg

the three finished looms below
IMG_0780.jpg

so the plugs i have left on the main loom (that i labelled are)
Ignition x2 (Plug and Barrel)
Dash Dials x2 (both plugs)
Indicator Stalks x2 (both Plugs)
drivers side rear loom plug
passenger side rear loom plug
drivers side footwell earth
passenger side footwell earth
Headlight dim
cigarette lighter
hazard switch

the plugs i have left on the drivers side rear loom (that i labelled are)
Drivers door sensor
Fuel Pump
Rear light cluster
rear earth

the plugs i have left on the passenger side rear loom (that i labelled are)
passenger door sensor
boot sensor
rear light cluster
central brake light
bumper number plate light
rear earth

thats all good, now the stuff i need answers for, any help massively appreciated as i need to get these right....
first off hopefully an easy question...

Do i need to keep the door and boot sensors?

next up i have a series of plugs on the various looms that i am unsure what they do, any help with these again appreciated... see descriptions and pics below...

Passenger Rear loom - Midway along - Grey Plug and Clear Plug
IMG_0771.jpg

Passenger Rear loom - Midway along - Black Plug
IMG_0772.jpg

Main Loom - Passenger side (i think) - Black 6-point Plug
IMG_0774.jpg

Main Loom - Near Ignition - Purple 6-point Plug
IMG_0775.jpg

Main Loom - Near Ignition - Black 8-point Plug
IMG_0776.jpg

Main Loom - Drivers side - Midway along - Grey 3-point Plug
IMG_0777.jpg

Main Loom - Centre Console - Black with Cover (OBD PORT???)
IMG_0778.jpg

Main Loom - Centre Console - Black Female Plug
IMG_0779.jpg

so i need answers for all the above really before i go chopping more, as mentioned any help appreciated...

172 Race Car
Dont know much about stock loom mate as we just binned ours and started again (thats what I think you should do tbh but hey ho) but will try and help

Passenger Rear loom - Midway along - Grey Plug and Clear Plug
Passenger Rear loom - Midway along - Black Plug

Speakers i think

#####################

Main Loom - Passenger side (i think) - Black 6-point Plug

Not sure on that

##############################

Main Loom - Near Ignition - Purple 6-point Plug

Brake pedal switch

Main Loom - Near Ignition - Black 8-point Plug

does nothing iirc

##########################

Main Loom - Centre Console - Black with Cover (OBD PORT???)

Yep, still using stock ecu? if not bin it

#############################

Main Loom - Centre Console - Black Female Plug

sth to do with heater system i think

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Dont know much about stock loom mate as we just binned ours and started again (thats what I think you should do tbh but hey ho) but will try and help

i have thought about this as i can / will be loosing alot more with the addition of the race technology dash2, i need a proper conversation with matt really...

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I was lucky with mine as i used the blue Clio interior as a guide to where everything plugs in. So we had the interior loom sitting in the white shell then labelled up what went where while cross referencing. TBH i'm not doing the loom/electrics, it's in the capable hands of a friend that is a Renault Technical Expert, works for Renault and just so happens to excel in electrics.

We stripped out all door components, speakers, central locking,electric windows. Everything heater-climate control-AC wise.

Id say if you have someone you know with the same year 172 as you have then that would be helpful. I can't offer too much help i'm afraid, what i do know is some of the wires splice off so you have to be careful when cutting some out. Label EVERYTHING first then start cutting back, pull the wires through the loom right back to the source.

340i
Just on my phone ATM Neil...

The plugs midway down your door sides... Grey 3 prong are the speakers I believe

Black 6 prong plug is the door sensor

Large black covered plug is OBD II port

Purple plug, brake pedal sensor?

I'll try and name the rest later when I go on the laptop!

Large black

Qashcow
Nah, where's the fun in that Fred? That was the fun bit of my TDF wiring, sitting there wondering why the hell your getting 7v and a flickering dash lol

I've not got my boot sensor, it does mean that when you unlock the car, you cannot open the boot first as the alarm will sound. Mind you, not sure what your doing alarm wise ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for the posts on the unknown plugs guys, any more elaboration on any of them would be great, pretty sure i don't need them but i am not going cutting willy nilly...

lesson 1 - dont f**k with electronics, pay people who know what they are doing!

so apply that x10 and basically don't do anything and learn nothing...lol
i understand what you are saying but i am keen to learn, also i want to get on with this now, the car has been sat for too long, it needs doing,

on a separate note i will be heading up in a months time, cool to go over the airbox and collect the exhaust from you then?

Nah, where's the fun in that Fred? That was the fun bit of my TDF wiring, sitting there wondering why the hell your getting 7v and a flickering dash lol
I've not got my boot sensor, it does mean that when you unlock the car, you cannot open the boot first as the alarm will sound. Mind you, not sure what your doing alarm wise ;)

i am 99% sure that i have no alarm, god knows where it is if i do but i have seen it knowhere, i will not be running central locking so i am nt bothered about any of that, just need to know if i need them.... does mine even have an immobiliser...lol

BMW Z4
lesson 1 - dont f**k with electronics, pay people who know what they are doing!

Yeh f**k that circus s**t :)

I am taking a big box of looms to Matt, having a coffee, choosing my heat shrink type and then leaving him to it :) I hate electronics with a passion.