ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_1316.jpg

so finally got both these bits... yay
but they won't be fitted anytime soon, nope, instead i am going on holiday with 2 other CS muppets and there GF's

the clio can wait, having said that though after visiting my painter mate earlier he said who knows.....
ffs last time he said that i asked him to paint 2 bike frames white and got them back one in green and the other in a purple to black gradient....lol

Qashcow
Pmsl at your sprayer, you'll end up with some obscene brown flip or something

These idiots your going on holiday sound like right nice people, I mean, whose going to want to spend 10 drunken nights with you ffs.

Cannot fricking wait

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
well i popped down to see it saturday.... its still there and its not some gay colour,
painting will start shortly... no desperate rush ( i have to move house first)

IN THE MEAN TIME:
(not technically an update for the 172 but i now have this....)

1.5 DCi 80 dynamique Billabong
totally stock.. nothing singing, nothing dancing...
its just had a service so it will be running sweet, i found it also had a cracked spring and the front pads and discs needed doing, bit of a pain but it got done, it will pay for itself pretty quick.

anyway pics....

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

and it even come with a tow bar, i sorted the wiring and removed this... (although i did wonder about towing the ITB 172 with it)
IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

so i am back in a clio, i haven't driven it yet as have been away on holiday, but my big commute starts again tomorrow, hopefully it should be a bit cheaper in this rather than the passat, however i do feel it will be a little less conformable or fun...
it will most probably get some tweaks in the near future but it needs some other bits and bobs first just to tidy it up....
god i can't wait to get my ITB 172 back.

shame i don't have any bits from the 172 that i could put on it....
actually, i wonder if the images would fit on it....

340i
ahhh you've removed the tow bar already haha!!

I feel an MPG challenge game coming on, with you're long commute...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i looked at it this morning,
i wasn't going to so soon.... but am i really going to use it??? they can't tow f*ck all weight wise....

i have already been challenged by west renault... 90MPG in 200 miles

BMW E46 330i Touring
I did 59mpg back from Wales in my big, comfy, quick(ish) Bora. You need to beat that to make this a worthwhile purchase.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Fit the Image's, jack it up and down and then take photos before the springs have settled again.

Then post it as your completed project on Ed38.

53 Clio's & counting
As long as iv read the reg right ( FV58XBG ) then it's beryllium grey met, with a paint code LR7K

You forget I work for VW lol x

Bear in mind there tend to be 2 or 3 different nmes for paints

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
well its been a while since an update, but now i have one, all be it not a very large one...
I have now moved house, (last weekend), i may have previously mentioned that because of a change of job i was commuting 2 hours each way to my new work, now i am only an hour away, its so much better but it now does mean i am around 45 mins away from were the car is (as appose to 5 mins), so now working on it will be a bit harder.

so i got down there today with a few jobs in mind, first up was to change the rear shocks, about a year ago i was off to a roadtrip around europe and only a week prior to that i found that one of my rear FK shocks was leaking, luckily Danlp6 stepped in and leant me his, i bought a new set of rear shocks about a month ago so it was time to fit them and give the borrowed shocks to the owner of his old shell / project....

car up...
IMG_1329.jpg

old shock removed, and then washers etc transfered over etc etc...
IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

new shocks bolted in (took a little while to sort, few little niggles but got there in the end)....
IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

well now it was lunchtime, after that i then started to removed the last piece of extra material in the cabin, (the piece in the drivers footwell)...
I was having a mare, using spot weld drill bits (which are F*cking expensive, i managed to blunt one and am now onto my second... pretty cheesed off tbh,

and i still didn't seem to be getting anywhere really, i ended up having to take a step back as i found myself getting frustrated, perhaps next time it will go a bit smoother..(this is how i left it...)
IMG_1350.jpg

it was getting on a bit (and i still needed to drive home), so just before i left i removed all the rear badges, i don't think i will be badging the rear so they can all come off and be binned,
it was nice getting back to it, but it still feels a million miles off...

also annoying that my new house seems to be slap bang in the middle of a mass of awesome roads...ffs
(DCi is getting more than a workout however)

Looks good, keep at it.

Have you looked at finding a garage to rent or something near your new gaff?

I've done the big commute and it kills you in the end. You have less time and are knackered as well so you just CBA with working on cars. An hour is manageable. Mine's come on loads since I dropped my commute from 1:40 each way to just 35 mins didn't realise how much it was affecting me until I stopped it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
the new house has a garage... so once the car is out of my mates bodyshop then it will come here and go in the garage, (my mate isn't charging me whilst its in his workshop either so thats handy....
the hour doesn't even feel like an hour, thats the best thing, the route really is that good / involving that it feels half that.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I removed that bit from my old shell, was a bit tricky but managed ok, i'll need to do it again on the new one but at least ill know better how to attack it!
You've probably noticed the spot welds are quite big on that bit, best get your self one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spot-Weld..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2a125fd039

I bought the above for doing the new shell but managed ok using the 8mm one I already had, just had to drill 3 holes in a triangle pattern to get all the weld out. I've had the 8mm one a while (same type) and drilled loads of spot welds out with it, important not to get gready when using it, dont go too fast and dont lean too hard, just let it cut at it's on pace. The ones up by the pedals are a bit awkward mind you but i'm sure you'll get it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you very much for the advice, i may look at purchasing one. I do have a supply were i am doing it as the car is in a bodyshop run by my mate, however i am extremely concious of wearing them out at £10 a pop, i must admit its my least favourite job thus far.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
What type of cutter have you been using?
I tried the hole saw type with the pin in the centre but they're hopeless imho, they can work but I found you had to centre punch the spot weld to give it something to locate on otherwise it would just skip about all over the place and then break the teeth off.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
What type of cutter have you been using?
I tried the hole saw type with the pin in the centre but they're hopeless imho, they can work but I found you had to centre punch the spot weld to give it something to locate on otherwise it would just skip about all over the place and then break the teeth off.

that is the type i was using yes, but as you say they do slip a fair bit....
near the end of the day a lad turned up who restores/rebuilds classic cars so i asked his advise, he said use a small normal drill bit first and drill down through the centre, then this gives you the purchase for the spot weld drill bit...

Buy a spot weld drill off Snap-on mate. They ain't cheap but i've got one thats been used at least 3 cars now! Plenty of life left in it as well.

the ones i am using are not cheap mate, and my sprayer/panel beater friend is supplied by snap-on so he could use them if he wanted...
thanks for the advice though.... i will nail it...lol

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
If you've been using the hole saw type, that would explain the frustration, if you get the type shown in the ebay link, first time you use it you'll wonder why you struggled with the other kind, honestly the difference is night and day. They have a small centre drill on them and you simply put it down where you want to drill and it does just that, wont slip or jump about, makes your life so much easier and they're the same price if not a bit cheaper than the hole saw type.

Last edited: