ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
For the rear turret tubes/cups get them from custom cages. I was less far less than £70 for them delivered. They are a standard part used on the custom cages clubman cage etc

I contacted Custom Cages directly about this after your PM and they had no idea... said they could only supply the tubing, but then they don't have the tube at that size...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Still having issues trying to find rear strut top items and have potentially a proper deadline to get the car finished now - MARCH 2018.
I really need to get the fabrication work started asap, then get it booked in for paint.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: First up, I thought I best change the thread name. The last thread name was a little arrogant, time for something a little more honest.

So I am still trying to sort the extra tubing to tie in the rear suspension turrets, but something has been ordered and is on the way - hopefully this will be correct.
Whilst I have been chasing and waiting for that to come I have been looking at the other bits of the shell that will need some fabrication so we can get everything sorted in 1 and then get it off to paint.

There are only a few of items that needed to be addressed - harness mounts, false floor mounts and the height of the dashbar. To figure all these out I needed to get some interior bits back in so I could measure and mock-up. I dropped the subframes and seats in, bolting them down and then threaded up the harnesses.

IMG_6487.jpg

I could utilise the current welded in feet of the main hoop for the outer points, the plates will then be welded to these. The inner points are a little more tricky but as I will be running a lower brace bar across this mount I am deciding to strengthen this end of the tunnel area. I have mocked-up this section which will be replicated in metal and welded in, holding the eye bolts and also later tying into the brace bar.

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

With that addressed I then turned my attention to mounting the carbon false floors. They fit snuggly in the footwells so lining them up is important. Using threaded bar they then bolt down - the bolts will be welded to the floor hence the importance of mocking up before paint.
The drivers side was pretty easy, the passenger side a little more troublesome as it has 2 floors (the lower houses a lot of the electrics and the top covers it when you have passengers.

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6496.JPG

The last and quite simple job was to just get the dash in so I could see what height I will be welding the dash bar in at, this will be marked up on the shell so I know when we are welding it in. Even though it is still a way off of being finished its quite exciting putting stuff back in, it somehow feels like its moving forward a fair bit.

IMG_6500.jpg

And it needs to move forward a fair bit as it looks like I may be moving house again in just over 3 months time. April 2018 is basically the deadline now... How quickly do you think you can rebuilt one of these?

Attachments

• IMG_6499.jpg
    IMG_6499.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 60

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
BIG UPDATE:
This thread has had its fair share of ups and downs, this has mainly been down to how long it has taken, which in no large part has been down to life being more important, understandably other things have had to be put first - jobs, growing up and buying a house, weddings etc... and moving house has happened a fair few times meaning the car has had to go into storage more than once. The reason I mention all of this... well it is happening again.

After buying and being in our current house around 3 years (and building a garage to pretty much store/work on the clio) we are now going to be moving. Redundancy and then a new job offer for my wife has meant we will be moving to the outskirts of Birmingham (where they talk funny and call roundabouts islands...WTF???). This also comes with some other exciting news however in that we will actually be renovating a barn and moving into that once done (a once in a life time opportunity really). Timings are a little fluffy at present as my wife starts her new job in January, but the barn work will not start until Spring so we are trying to decide when will be best for me to follow as there is a fair bit to sort out, one of those things being the clio build...

IMG_4809_zpseg66oqyu.jpg

Where the clio will be stored is currently an unknown, however what I do know is that it can't go into storage in its current state. After stripping all the underseal there is a lot of bare metal which would obviously just rust if left. So instead of potentially giving up again this time there is going to be a major push to get it in a much better state. I am possibly working to a deadline of the end of February/start of March to have to move the car, at this point I am aiming for it to be a rolling weathertight shell, this means the below needs doing:

Fabrication needs finishing
I now have all the extra cage tubes so 8 tubes now need profiling, the turret tops need cutting to size, tunnel brace needs welding in (this is currently with a fabricator being produced), A and B pillar gussets need making, the numerous holes, the wing trim holes and the rear arches need patching, nuts for the false floor need welding in and holes need to be cut in panels for the roof scoop and aero catches (aero catches need to be ordered). The cage welding was going to be done by my next door neighbour however with the looming deadline I can now not rely on favours so this will be going to a fabricator at the extra cost.

IMG_4242_zpsifdq4fra.jpg

IMG_4895_zpssz2zx0am.jpg

IMG_5144_zpscfxidypb.jpg

Paint
What can I say about paint, it needs a lot - basically all over... Inside, outside, underneath and the engine bay (pictured above). Before this however I need some new panels. About 3 weeks ago I managed to sell the lightened doors and tailgate in favour of some fibreglass panels that have now been ordered. The doors and tailgate (pictured below) are coming from CCF and I have ordered an older cup roof scoop and a cup spoiler from CM Composites (pictured below). Once I have these items I need to purchase some aero catches for the bonnet and tailgate and some door hinges from Renault. The doors do not come with holes for the side trims so I will be matching the rear 3/4's to these and welding those holes up. I do still need to pick up a new fuel filler flap and a new rear badge (as the fiberglass tailgate is ph2 shape unlike my ph1).

DOORS.jpg

TAILGATE.jpg

SPOILER.JPG

View attachment 158997
(Shamelessly stolen from @Russ Rallye's thread, thank you chap)

A colour has not bee chosen yet but it looks like it will be going grey inside and will be a solid colour outside (to keep costs down). I have a couple ideas but am still very much unsure on it - part of me is saying white for ease.... but we will see. I need to have a further discussion as how far the painter will be going with re-assembly, I am wondering if he will want to check fitment of the panels so it will depend on how far this stage goes to what I will be doing in the next stage.

Windows refit
I already have the polycarbs for all the way around. This process along with fitting a heated windscreen (that I need to purchase) will probably happen once I have the car back fron paint, but by the looks of it, once the tailgate and spoiler are painted the window needs to be bonded on before the composite cup spoiler is bonded to the tailgate (there may have to be a bit of juggling with timings there).

Running gear and engine refit
A lot of the items to get the full running gear back on the car I have, and it has all been either cleaned/ painted or is new. However there are still a couple of items thats I need to purchase such as Powerflex bushes for the rear beam, ream beam mount bolts (to mount to the car), Powerflex steering rack bushes and the biggest, some new solid top mounts.

This leads me onto the engine as this is probably a good idea to drop in once I have the running gear bolted on. The engine hasn't run for probably about 5+ years so I will probably be dropping the engine off with Beaniesport to have it looked over. The plan is to have a new cambelt fitted, new gaskets throughout and also a new (to me) sump fitted that has a couple of extra sensors in. Once it comes off the stand I will also be fitting a new clutch before the engine goes back into the shell (the clutch, and all the gaskets are all yet to be purchased). All of this will potentially happen when the car is away (see below).

I think that is about it, but it feels like a lot to plan and think about. I have this week been to a couple of fabricators and painters to get quotes and knowledge on timings and I am hopefully working to the idea that the car will go away in December and January and perhaps come back to me for February. I will then take February off work and use this to re-assemble the car and sort out the house for moving... Then hopefully, I will have a weather-tight, rollable shell, somewhere to store it and a house cleared to move... we shalt see. Either way, it is going to be interesting. Here goes...

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Sounds like a busy couple of months! I suppose you can look at it from the perspective that it's giving you a push to get it done though. I think the car would look great in the grey that the doors are in those pictures. Or grey inside with RB outside? What about yellow? I like yellow, as you can probably tell from my avatar 😂

I went to uni in Stafford and knew people from around Cannock way and they all called roundabouts "islands". Never really got it. Strange folk. Must be something in the water.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a busy couple of months! I suppose you can look at it from the perspective that it's giving you a push to get it done though. I think the car would look great in the grey that the doors are in those pictures. Or grey inside with RB outside? What about yellow? I like yellow, as you can probably tell from my avatar 😂

It will be busy, but exciting. I really appreciate it that it will be pushing me to get on with it, thats great - I suppose it is the extra expense it will cost to do it this way... but oh well (you can't take it with you). I am unsure on grey in all honesty. I think it will probably be a solid colour I go for just to keep costs down, it won't be yellow all over though as there are yellow hints that it needs to compliment. I am doing a lot of research into colours now though.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
It needs wheels also..... I am waiting for you to give/donate/sell me a set of those 15" OZ Supperleggera's

unfortunately matey i'm down to just the one set of superleg's these days, sad face! and they not for sale even to you :coldsweat::fearscream::kissingheart:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It will be busy, but exciting. I really appreciate it that it will be pushing me to get on with it, thats great - I suppose it is the extra expense it will cost to do it this way... but oh well (you can't take it with you). I am unsure on grey in all honesty. I think it will probably be a solid colour I go for just to keep costs down, it won't be yellow all over though as there are yellow hints that it needs to compliment. I am doing a lot of research into colours now though.

Definitely agree on a solid colour. Metallics on stripped/caged cars don't often complement the race look anyway. With yellow highlights, something along the lines of RB would tempt me, though it has been done a few times. Red would look "Noddy" so that would be out for me. If you've got a strong-ish accent colour, I think keeping the main colour fairly neutral would be a smart move, but it's hard to pick!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely agree on a solid colour. Metallics on stripped/caged cars don't often complement the race look anyway. With yellow highlights, something along the lines of RB would tempt me, though it has been done a few times. Red would look "Noddy" so that would be out for me. If you've got a strong-ish accent colour, I think keeping the main colour fairly neutral would be a smart move, but it's hard to pick!

Exactly. I am tempted with RB, or a lighter blue (like sky or baby blue), then have thought of a dark purple being a little more brave.
Dark green has also come into my head, even White appeals a fair bit... With regards to grey/silver - if I am paying £2k+ for a paint job I kind of want a colour change... ha

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
With yellow accents, the grey appeals less, as I think that would work better with red/orange.

Green could look epic or terrible lol.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Anthracite gets my vote. Like the focus rs grey just looks incredible I think. It's subtle enough to turn heads but not quite Barry boys.

Excellent update though. Can't wait to see it finishes. Crazy how easily life gets in the way with regards to projects etc.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Good updates, you can get through that to do list if you focus!
As for colour, what about some of the V6 colours? Acid yellow & Lunar grey have always been a favourites of mine.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Dark purple would be really nice.
Anthracite gets my vote. Like the focus rs grey just looks incredible I think. It's subtle enough to turn heads but not quite Barry boys.
Good updates, you can get through that to do list if you focus!
As for colour, what about some of the V6 colours? Acid yellow & Lunar grey have always been a favourites of mine.

Dark purple - would be ballsy, I have thought about the Petrol blue (but I think that is metallic)
Anthracite - is metallic so I won't be going down that route
Focus RS grey - is very much like Audi Nardo grey and I am really not keen on that/has been done to death
Acid yellow - won't work with the yellow hints already on the car
Lunar grey - again is quite like Audi Nardo grey and I am really not keen on that/has been done to death

Storm grey and yellow works :wink:

4138376752_0c2e3e8fc2_b.jpg

HHHmmmm a bit softer than Focus RS/Nardo/Lunar....

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Storm grey can look almost white in some light. If it were me, I’d keep a Renault Sport colour - but that’s me. Whatever colour it goes, it’ll look mega :up:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Green and yellow like the Laguna!! Will have to go gold alloys and a Nescafé sticker too... You cannot to wrong with a bit of BTCC-ness. Big wing also compulsory.....
Would struggle to choose between those too. Think the blue might work better with the phase one lines though.
That's metallic lol. Having seen one in the flesh, they are stunning.

Well the Nescafe stickers and gold alloys would never happen, ha, and now with that being metallic its 100% not an option.
I think I have decided though, even though I seem to have gone up in the amount of choices - but this is my shortlist.

COLOUR.jpg

They are not original and I do not want to copy people, but everything has been done. Choices choices

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Well the Nescafe stickers and gold alloys would never happen, ha, and now with that being metallic its 100% not an option.
I think I have decided though, even though I seem to have gone up in the amount of choices - but this is my shortlist.

View attachment 1347218

They are not original and I do not want to copy people, but everything has been done. Choices choices

It would be RB for me out of those options.