ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

BMW E46 330i Touring
Re: No Compromise ph1 ITB build (Fastcar, BTM, TDF, RS Fab) - ITB update p77

Send me a text or a FB message when you get a chance mate.

340i

Sorted!

Told you it was easy ;)

I always have time for you mate... Shame we don't live closer to each other or I would be down there giving you a hand!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Glad my little guide helped you out, you may be able to tell I was tired as I couldn't remember what things were called lol!

With the powder coating make sure the threads inside the steering rack brackets are masked off. Mine were coated and I had to strip the paint out of them which was a right pain. Also I had every inch or the wishbones coated even the inside of the metal selves, this made it slightly harder to press the purple bush in and made it even harder to push the metal thing inside the bush, just loob it up and it'll go in fine haha.

Oh and one more thing can you take a picture of how the inner arb bush looks after it's been re attached after coating

:)

340i

m....u...s...t r..e...s..i...s..t LOL

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Neil clear your inbox fella ;)

Sorry mate, thats my poverty spec, forum user spec 20 messages allowed i spose... Lol

Sorted!
Told you it was easy ;)
I always have time for you mate... Shame we don't live closer to each other or I would be down there giving you a hand!

Really do appreciate it,

Glad my little guide helped you out, you may be able to tell I was tired as I couldn't remember what things were called lol!
With the powder coating make sure the threads inside the steering rack brackets are masked off. Mine were coated and I had to strip the paint out of them which was a right pain. Also I had every inch or the wishbones coated even the inside of the metal selves, this made it slightly harder to press the purple bush in and made it even harder to push the metal thing inside the bush, just loob it up and it'll go in fine haha.
Oh and one more thing can you take a picture of how the inner arb bush looks after it's been re attached after coating
:)

Will be looking at it again tomorrow, possibly masking it up and dropping it of also, will update accordingly

BMW E46 330i Touring

Got your message mate. My phone doesn't let me reply so have text you.

Catch up properly soon?

Ollie's Silver Cup

Neil, did it take you long to drop the subframe? I'd like to get mine off to clean it up and have it finished (just boring black, no funky colours I'm afraid)

Going from the progress photo, it seemed to be a fairly straight forward enough job!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Neil clear your inbox fella ;)

All done chap, should be able to message away

Neil, did it take you long to drop the subframe? I'd like to get mine off to clean it up and have it finished (just boring black, no funky colours I'm afraid)
Going from the progress photo, it seemed to be a fairly straight forward enough job!

Yeah mate its not as bad as i thought it was going to be, mainly down to the fact i had the directions from gray and crispy. Its all nuts and bolts so isn't too bad but i had an impact gun also which sped things up a fair bit... The only real pains are the top steering rack bolts (through the subframe), the ARB, the exhaust and its heatshield get in the way, i have the use of the right tools and i still needed a fair bit of patience.

Don't let it deter you, if i can do it anyone can, just don't try to rush it.

TrackCar & F30 330d

The company should mask it for you as they will shot blast everything first so your masking may come off. They should ask you if you want stuff masking off when you drop the bits off.

Should just screw a bolt in a couple of threads then take it out once the powdercoating is done, nothing will get in the thread then... I did similar on brackets last time I had stuff done

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

cheers for the heads up guys, but i read this after i dropped the stuff over.
popped down the unit to collect it early this afternoon and to strip the final bits off...

just couldn't press the bearings out of the wishbones so have left them in and Caged said they can do that. happy days

IMG_0647.jpg

i also bunged the threaded holes i need, hopefully they will see this,

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

if not sure i will sort something, and then all loaded into the back of the trusty stead along with the ARB from my rear whiteline kit to take across to caged

IMG_0651.jpg

looking forward to seeing it in the yellow, better get to cleaning the other stuff now though...

Ollie's Silver Cup

Yeah mate its not as bad as i thought it was going to be, mainly down to the fact i had the directions from gray and crispy. Its all nuts and bolts so isn't too bad but i had an impact gun also which sped things up a fair bit... The only real pains are the top steering rack bolts (through the subframe), the ARB, the exhaust and its heatshield get in the way, i have the use of the right tools and i still needed a fair bit of patience.

Don't let it deter you, if i can do it anyone can, just don't try to rush it.

Cheers! Hmmm maybe I'll get the subframe off and away to be powdercoated at the same time my intake goes on! Would make sense to do it that way! :)

ph1 172, berlingo

hey mr,if you any probs with your bushs give me a bell, you can come use are 5 tonne press

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

hey mr,if you any probs with your bushs give me a bell, you can come use are 5 tonne press

cheers mate. we were using tony/lukes 30 tonne press, its just the shame of the wishbones mixed with the set heights of the actual press meant it was impossible, we tried heating them etc etc but nowt....lol

172 Race Car

Cut the rubber and knock the middles out, then Cut the sleeves with a hacksaw, fall out then

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

All too late i hope, when i get the bits back they should already be pressed out.

CLIO PH1 172

what colour did you go for ?

TrackCar & F30 330d

So you getting the wishbones powder coated then tacking the metal sleves in? You'll have to scrape the coating off won't you to weld on? I got them tacked and the coated!

340i

Get the sleeves welded in place first, then powder coat them :)

TrackCar & F30 330d

It might be too late as he's already dropped the bits off

TrackCar & F30 330d

cheers mate. we were using tony/lukes 30 tonne press, its just the shame of the wishbones mixed with the set heights of the actual press meant it was impossible, we tried heating them etc etc but nowt....lol

I had mine burnt out. Used a blowtorch :)

340i

not trying hard enough Neil....

To remove the bushes I got a socket of the same size in a vice to press the bushes through, than attack with a lump hammer, BOSH... done

We just got the blowtorch out...

IMG_1538.jpg

The rubber dropped out...

IMG_1541.jpg

Then took the blade from a hacksaw, put it through the sleeve and reattached to hacksaw. Cut through the sleeve to release the pressure and it fell out of the wishbone...

IMG_1550.jpg

Pushed the sleeve in by hand...

IMG_2319.jpg

Then welded a couple of short runs round to ensure they dont move over time...

IMG_2323.jpg

*Insert Powdercoating here* then press the Powerflex bush into place...

IMG_2467.jpg

Done!

Something was needed to end the wishbone bush chat :rasp:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

we had no blow torch, we did try fire though...lol
oh well,

hmmm... perhaps i need to go back and collect the wishbones tomorrow then try and get it sorted over the weekend

Last edited:

It took ages even with a blow torch really (one of the handheld jobbys). Probably 5-10 minutes of heating the rubber to get it to carry on burning by itself, by the time the flames died the bushes literally fell out leaving the sleeve there

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Caged said they can push the bearings etc out
may just leave it with them and then just sort my mistake out when i get them back

will just grind a tiny bit back for the tacking....

TrackCar & F30 330d

But if you do that then those little bits could rust/go manky. I dont know how far Caged is from you but just drive there with the metal sleves and a new poly bush, then press the new sleve in and then slip the new bush in so it sits flush and then get caged to tak them in for you in that position (after you've removed the bush again)

No Compromise = No Bodging :)

Qashcow

I dint want to fit new bushes :( Ive been putting it off for 4 years

182cup & 172 racecar

If you didn't ***** about with powder coating,you would have it back together by now.

ph1 172, berlingo

right if you get them back pop down to work, im working onthe focus all weekend. are press is 50 tonne and 8ft tall tractor job, pushes bushes out like i push out the soft bron stuff. i got the oxy gun there too. all the gear, no idea....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

right if you get them back pop down to work, im working onthe focus all weekend. are press is 50 tonne and 8ft tall tractor job, pushes bushes out like i push out the soft bron stuff. i got the oxy gun there too. all the gear, no idea....

will stop by there first thing tomorrow then and collect them, whats your postcode rog? got a welder to tack them in too? lol

ph1 172, berlingo

yea got two migs on the go, tinkers yard shed 5 by the burger van give me a bell, you can see the crazy project then.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

will do mate, unsure if it will be tomorrow evening but will send over a text anyways
cheers mate