ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Holy Grail all round set up

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
I know this has probably been discussed many times and I have looked at many posts.
I'm getting my FF182 ready for next seasons sprint/hilclimb events in road going class but also it's my daily as well!

I will get another set of wheels/tyres for competition use.

I bought the car in May which is in great condition but it has apex springs/standard shocks which must be knackered, slammed to the deck which to be honest I love the look but christ it's hard and crashy!
Looking to replace with the following bearing in mind I cannot use solid or spherical joints.
1.Bilstien B14 shocks
2. New OEM lower arms
3.Powerflex Top mounts
4. Powerflex rear shock mount
5. OEM track rod ends
6. OEM engine mounts
I would appreciate your opinions on alternatives as I'm going to probably invest half of the cars worth over the next couple of months.
Thanks Andy

Hi Andy if have a search under "hillclimb" there are a few different threads on hillclimbs and sprints. Its maybe worth you waiting for next years regs and then whichever Championship thinking of entering interpretation of them before you start spending too much.

I think proposals if approved might allow you solid top mounts, might be worth going with updated engine mounts and loads of options on suspension depending on venue (from Cup dampers and updated springs to BC/AST coilovers) depending on how deep pockets are also seems to be a vast range of opinions so others much more experienced than me can hopefully help you.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Andy if have a search under "hillclimb" there are a few different threads on hillclimbs and sprints. Its maybe worth you waiting for next years regs and then whichever Championship thinking of entering interpretation of them before you start spending too much.

I think proposals if approved might allow you solid top mounts, might be worth going with updated engine mounts and loads of options on suspension depending on venue (from Cup dampers and updated springs to BC/AST coilovers) depending on how deep pockets are also seems to be a vast range of opinions so others much more experienced than me can hopefully help you.
Cheers for that mate.
It seems that many of you guys on here regard the solid top mount as one of the best mods to do.
So as you suggest I will hang on for the new blue book.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Cup lower arms will give you some more caster, although I think Renault have now defaulted to all lower arms now being cup spec whereas before they used to have two different part numbers

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys.
Opinion is really divided about the bilstiens. Maybe on a heavier car they might be too soft and perhaps if you set them at the lower end of their adjustment they may stiffen up.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Gaz seem to be a popular choice among the many clios I have raced alongside in the scottish sprint and hillclimb championship

I ended up going KW as a set came up for sale 2nd hand, before that I was tempted with BC racing coilovers

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Ast vs gas/bilstiens. The dampening of the Ast is leagues a head of the competition. Obviously you can spec them to a softer springs and valves if you want a softer setup.
Refresh bushes/control arms
Roll correction centre kit? If allowed
Strip any unwanted weight..sound deadening..air bags?..smaller battery?

Enjoy!!