ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Im currently stood about 2 feet away from the Andy's car and negotiating with Zoltan to see if he'll swap them into my car. I'm sure Andy won't mind... Turinis would go nice with the RB too.
HEY! Get away from there you vulture! ;) Zoltan would never swap them out anyway as our Hungarian blood runs thick and brotherly. Or something. Er, that sounds a bit dodgy so moving on...
As for the Turini's - I suppose I could always do a deal. I've got a couple of sets anyway... :p I just need to wrap a set up in some suitable trackday rubber and the other set, given the current weather, in suitable winter rubber.

I hope you and the car are both well and I hope I don't see you rocking around anytime soon sporting a pair of Recaro Trendlines...

flol poor Andy
Pfft. Like you care Mike... :p LOL!

Grab me the spoiler while you're on, I'm sure he wont need that :D
Did I inadvertently post something along the lines of, "Trophy - being broken for parts" or some such comment?! I'm beginning to wonder. :D I hadn't actually planned on stripping the car if I'm being totally honest. Or someone stripping it on my behalf.

Think this was one of the first threads I read through completely when I joined. That was over 2 years ago and since then I often find myself checking in for updates...however for some reason I've never posted.

Read through all the ups and downs and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think this is partly as I can relate (not spent as much but have had so many issues) and yet I too keep my car despite the complete lack of financial sense.

My cars been to Fred many times, it's definitely in good hands. I look forward to more updates...for at least another 2 years :)
Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to read through the ongoing updates, mate! :D I appreciate it's a bit hard-going and 'wordy' at times so it's good to know people are getting some enjoyment out of reading it. I'm very sorry to hear that you've also experienced the not so pleasant side of ownership (and had to deal with quite a few problems by the sounds of it) hence I hope things are better now.

As for the updates... yep, they're going to keep coming for some time yet I reckon. I do have plans beyond the engine rebuild but those are for another time and future updates. :D Cheers!

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
it's a bit hard-going and 'wordy' at times so it's good to know people are getting some enjoyment out of reading it.

It must be pretty good and entertaining as I usually just look at the pictures haha.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've also experienced the not so pleasant side of ownership (and had to deal with quite a few problems by the sounds of it) hence I hope things are better now.

Thanks, well it was great, after replacing nearly everything I thought i was okay till my second gearbox gave up so sadly it's currently in a lock up as I don't have the heart to get rid of it or the money to fix it lol.

Will keep an eye on your updates though, they'll provide me with the inspiration to carry on :cool:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It must be pretty good and entertaining as I usually just look at the pictures haha.
:lolup: Fair enough! I'll make sure that future updates continue to show a few pictures here and there just in case you don't feel like reading the bits in between! :D

Thanks, well it was great, after replacing nearly everything I thought i was okay till my second gearbox gave up so sadly it's currently in a lock up as I don't have the heart to get rid of it or the money to fix it lol.

Will keep an eye on your updates though, they'll provide me with the inspiration to carry on :cool:
Ah cr4p - bad news mate. :( These damn cars can certainly test the patience (and wallet) sometimes. I feel your pain what with the problem of not being able to use it and not have the pennies at the moment to fix it. Fingers crossed that a bit of good fortune comes along soon (in all senses of the word!) and you are able to get it back on the road. I can't guarantee inspiration but I appreciate the kind words all the same. Cheers fella. :D

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Did I inadvertently post something along the lines of, "Trophy - being broken for parts" or some such comment?! I'm beginning to wonder. :D I hadn't actually planned on stripping the car if I'm being totally honest. Or someone stripping it on my behalf.
Just kidding ;)

I'll be sending my 182 down in the coming weeks so they can be stable mates for a while ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
February 2013 - Friday 22nd

Only a minor update to confirm that the build is still ongoing and currently waiting on parts to be delivered (a few people have asked me how things are going). I've also been reliably informed that I'll no longer be needing my K-Tec DTH ITB's so they will be going up for sale very soon. I'm very much looking forward to getting the car back once it's ready, run-in and mapped. :)

I'm still really undecided whether or not to get a Quaiffe LSD fitted though. I've been given a little extra pocket money for doing the dishes this last couple of weeks so the temptation is strong. LOL! :D

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome :) cant wait to see it finished. If you can afford to get one I'd deffinately get a quaife especially with your new engine spec ;)

But would be good idea to get gearbox checked/re-built same time imo just to save future work.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Quaiffe LSD is the best mod I've got on mine. There just awesome, makes the already grippy clio even more so and there's absolutely no understeer. Yes there a bit expensive for no power increase and you can't see it but I can't recommend them highly enough. Get one you won't regret it.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
LSD don't even think about not doing it if you have the chance to fit one!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome :) cant wait to see it finished. If you can afford to get one I'd deffinately get a quaife especially with your new engine spec ;)

But would be good idea to get gearbox checked/re-built same time imo just to save future work.
Cheers, Keith. I'm very tempted - that's for sure! And I totally agree with you mate; if I do go for the LSD then I'll be wanting to get the gearbox checked out and sorted as well for the sake of a few hundred quid extra.

Having different bodies fitted?

I think Fred answered that question quite nicely! I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what Fred has got lined up but I'm just leaving things in his capable hands. LOL! Definitely some nice kit mind. ;)

Quaiffe LSD is the best mod I've got on mine. There just awesome, makes the already grippy clio even more so and there's absolutely no understeer. Yes there a bit expensive for no power increase and you can't see it but I can't recommend them highly enough. Get one you won't regret it.

I know how much the LSD transforms the standard EP3 Civic Type-R and I imagine it's largely the same for the Clio. I've not had the opportunity to drive an LSD'd Clio in anger but I think I'll be dropping one in. It's just a case of when.

I would go for a LSD Andy.
LSD don't even think about not doing it if you have the chance to fit one!
The gripper LSD in mine is by far the best mod I've done to mine so far, if that helps persuade further :)

Thanks for the replies gents - in truth I think I have already made up my mind. I guess I'll need to have a word with Fred to see about getting this done and how (if much) it affects his schedule. Fred? :eek: Please? Pretty please with sugar on? x

After speaking to Andy, it sounds like it should be good Fred ;)

I wouldn't disagree, but then again I'm biased. ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2013 - Friday 8th

A quick progress update...

I gave Fred a call earlier this evening to see how things were progressing and to discuss the details regarding the purchasing, acquisition and fitting of the Quaife LSD. In terms of the engine build, there is still a wait for some of the components. The block has been machined and the forged pistons have arrived but there's still no sign on the forged conrods and valves. All being well they should be coming very soon.

In terms of the gearbox, a plan is now in place with Fred to get that sorted (along with a new clutch) and I also now know why the Quaife LSD is so expensive compared to installations on other car makes/models! Incidentally, thanks to Chip and NorthloopCup for the details and putting me in touch with Steve regarding the Quaife. :)

Talking of stars, Russ has also kindly agreed to pick up the old DTH ITB parts that have been removed from my car and to bring them back with him. Once I've collected these from Russ I can sell them on - already have someone who is interested in buying them. :)

The estimated completion date is circa a month from now so fingers crossed that all goes well and there are no unexpected and long delays! Once completed, the Trophy will be trailered up to Paul at RS Tuning in Leeds for the all-important mapping. It will be left there for a few days so that it can be mapped properly (cold start, etc.).

That's all for now - cheers.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2013 - Saturday 9th

Zoltan draw smiley face on window and say "lot of dust, need fix"
LMFAO! :lolup: In these circumstances I can happily overlook the dust... and thanks for the update ;) You might have to throw a few BTM stickers onto my bill as well... they're as essential as the conrods. True story.

Awesome news Andy, cant wait to see all finished and glad you went for a diff. This little red car will be awesome :)
Thanks, Keith - I think it would have been a bit daft to not go with a diff whilst I have a good opportunity to do so.

Mmmmm Quaife! Good man. Cant wait to see the engine built up and read all the spec list :) Ive always wondered why Quaife's were dearer on the Clio's, care to shed some light?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Mmmmm Quaife! Good man. Cant wait to see the engine built up and read all the spec list :) Ive always wondered why Quaife's were dearer on the Clio's, care to shed some light?
Mmmm indeed, mate. :D As for the reason as to why it's expensive... in a nutshell, the process goes something like this (I'm no mechanic mind...):

• Strip gearbox
  • Remove standard diff
  • Send standard diff to Quaife
  • Quaife machine / modify crown and fit LSD/gearing
  • Quaife'd diff returned for fitting
  • Rebuild gearbox with Quaife'd item

Apologies for my less than technical explanation... :eek:

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The biggest expense involved in the Quaife, in fact any diff for the 1*2's, is because the diff has to be machined up from a larger piece of steel. The frenchies design ain't the best either tbh, but that comes as very little surprise! Lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The biggest expense involved in the Quaife, in fact any diff for the 1*2's, is because the diff has to be machined up from a larger piece of steel. The frenchies design ain't the best either tbh, but that comes as very little surprise! Lol
^ That's exactly what I was about to say... ;) :eek: LOL! Cheers mate!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2013 - Monday 11th

It's getting there... ;) Also saves quite a bit of weight without the engine holding things back.

20130311_progress.jpg

Many thanks to Russ for the pic and for collecting my old ITB bits, which are now surplus to requirements (but doesn't mean that Russ and Dan can sell them cheap in the meantime, y'hear?!). The Quaife LSD is also in the process of being sorted/ordered pretty much as we speak, too. Happy days.

53 Clio's & counting
:rasp: I am very much looking forward to seeing it finished, I will have to come up for a day so you can show me some of your local roads mate, see how our two compare x

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ktec stuff can't be worth that much? :p
LOL! Stop trying to damage my resale potential... :quiet:

:rasp: I am very much looking forward to seeing it finished, I will have to come up for a day so you can show me some of your local roads mate, see how our two compare x
That's a great idea, Russ. We'll turn it into a mini-photoshoot (and I'll grab my mate's GoPro) and then taunt Mike with the photos and movies... ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Fred kindly dropped me a line this morning with some good news... looks like all the parts have FINALLY (pretty much) arrived so things should be moving along very soon indeed. And hopefully he's got a spare Phase 1 cylinder head somewhere as well... :) With a bit of luck there should be some photos on the way soon.