ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

53 Clio's & counting
Fred kindly dropped me a line this morning with some good news... looks like all the parts have FINALLY (pretty much) arrived so things should be moving along very soon indeed. And hopefully he's got a spare Phase 1 cylinder head somewhere as well... :) With a bit of luck there should be some photos on the way soon.

Big port head ftw - at least a bit of a proper clio will be on it then (ph1 ftw :rasp: )

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
You and I could fall out, sunshine... :clown: There's nothing wrong with my car, apart from this bit, this bit, that bit, this map, that leak, that over-torqued spark plug, the engine generally and a few stone chips. Oh, and potentially missing spacers on the rear wheels. To name but a few things. :eek: But I still would happily accept a ph1 cylinder head if one can be found. I need every extra horsepower possible if I'm going to stand up to these boost-boys... LOL! :p

53 Clio's & counting
I do have a ph1 head on my work bench, the valves are genuine Renault and are only 35,000 miles old, but has substained a bit of damage from a bit of piston that broke off (Only on the 1 section you can see here, the rest of the head is ok)

2012-08-14101834.jpg

2012-08-14101915.jpg

2012-08-19155631.jpg

IF Fred can do something with that mate you're welcome to use it x

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Russ, that's very kind of you and appreciated as always. I'm just going to leave it with Fred for now and see what he comes up with. I've got new valves and uprated valve springs so we're good on that front. In fact, it's been the wait for the bl00dy valves that has been holding everything up! As said, I appreciate the offer though - cheers x

53 Clio's & counting
No worries mate, it's there if you end up needing it (I'm sure a skim will sort the area out - nothing fred can't sort ;) )

3 weeks to Combe ;)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I read this Trophy's life story on another site last night, didn't get to sleep till after 2.30am... You've certainly had your problems, can I assume K Tech and TDF would not be your first port of call for repairs?
Hope everything starts to pick up for your Trophy, im on the search for my own..

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Fred kindly dropped me a line this morning with some good news... looks like all the parts have FINALLY (pretty much) arrived so things should be moving along very soon indeed. And hopefully he's got a spare Phase 1 cylinder head somewhere as well... :) With a bit of luck there should be some photos on the way soon.

Mate of mine used to work for Renault.. When I showed him around my van the other day he mentioned he had a head thatd done only 1k.. Aparently its been sitting in his garage for years since he went self employed..

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I read this Trophy's life story on another site last night, didn't get to sleep till after 2.30am... You've certainly had your problems, can I assume K Tech and TDF would not be your first port of call for repairs?
Hope everything starts to pick up for your Trophy, im on the search for my own..
Hi mate, and thanks for reading through. Although I'm not taking the blame for your late night / early morning! :)

Yes, I've certainly had a few ups and downs with it over the years and I am now a bit picky about where the car goes to have work done. I'm certainly not wanting to get drawn into another round of this company vs. that company vs. the other company as people can make up their own minds from what they hear and read. I'm just happy that the Trophy is now with someone I do trust, someone who is happy to chat and take time out of their day to chew the fat (despite having a million and one things on the go) and who actually shows care for a customer's car; not just as a means to balance the books at the end of the month. However, I think you may have already drawn your own conclusions! LOL! ;)

I was hoping to get the Trophy back soon but due to one delay after another on parts it just hasn't happened. :( I did get a call from Fred a week or so back as he finally had enough parts in to start the build... but a few days back a problem was found with a couple of the new forged rods so a new set is being couriered in. Also, Quaife have contacted me stating that they are awaiting delivery of my diff (a slight delay due to a bit of a mix-up) so that should be going ahead any moment soon, too. Hopefully things will pick up soon and then the car will be off to Paul in Leeds for mapping. The sooner the better... because I'm missing my car and, importantly, Fred is sick of the sight of mine! :eek:

Good luck with your search mate.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think the term is, "It's getting there..." Russ! It was a shame about the rods but two of them were sufficiently heavier than the others; enough to cause concern - hence Fred requesting a different set. I'm getting fed up of the Type-R now (well, not really - just missing my Epic French Shed!)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
"It will be done when it's done." :) To be honest Fred's sick of seeing the damn thing around his workshop so it will be out of there one way or another soon I'm sure! To quash any rumours, I'm not making an attempt on the record for "longest customer car in residence" at a garage. Once Fred's done with it then it is free to litter up Paul's place in Leeds for a week or so whilst it gets mapped! Causing chaos wherever it goes...

iceberg phase 2 172
id say this is definatley the car i wanna see finished the most on here , fingers crossed for u mate although we all know she's in good hands :hail:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Flol he re-did most of the work that took TDF 6 months in 2 and half days and that was including teaching me everything we were doing :)

^you're not helping my cause LOL! hush!
LOL! It's alright, Fred... we all know you are a lazy, work-shy sort of guy... Hence the bad reputation and constantly empty workshop... :quiet:

For the record, the delays have been down to waiting on parts and I daresay this would have been done aaaages ago otherwise.

id say this is definatley the car i wanna see finished the most on here , fingers crossed for u mate although we all know she's in good hands :hail:
Thanks mate - looking forward to it myself! There's going to be one or two road trips / drives planned once 'Dusty' is back home (Dusty as I'm informed she's currently sitting under a thick layer of 'protective' dust and grime. Hey, it saves a fortune on waxes, right? :)

Is this goin to be a simular engine to ians rally car at godspeed?
I would love an engine spec like Ian's but I don't fancy having it rebuilt every couple of thousand miles! It will be a bit more conservative (along the lines of Yozza's as Fred has linked to) and it should go pretty well. I've been doing my bit in terms of losing a bit of weight (not that I have any to lose) to help improve the power-to-weight ratio alongside the removal of the aircon system. ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
This is guna be a weapon by the sounds of things :) wish i had the cash to do somthing like this !
Well, I don't know about being a weapon but it will no doubt put a smile on my face, especially being a massive NA fan. Of late there seems to have been an upturn in the number of people going boosted (or showing interest in boost) but it just doesn't do it for me. Nothing against boost of course (Chip's car is sensational to give a prime example) but I'm not after figures or massive torque, just that 'pure, highly-strung' NA drive, which I appreciate is not everyone's cup of tea. :) No doubt I could have had a lot more power and torque for the same money if I'd gone boosted, but that was never the intention. As for having the cash... well, long hours and being old(er) helps. ;)

Andy had the cash to do this twice.............once! :rasp:

Can't wait to see it.
Hollywood wages, mate. You knowsit! ;) LOL! The keys are yours when you fancy a spin mate.

clio 172 phase 2
Ive noticed too mate boosted clios are getting popular . Still think the itb sound wins everytime though . You plannin on any track days this year ?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ive noticed too mate boosted clios are getting popular . Still think the itb sound wins everytime though . You plannin on any track days this year ?
I would be telling lies if I said I didn't enjoy the sound they make... :eek: I'm hoping to do a trackday or two mate. I'm not sure which/when as yet due to work but I will be at the BurpSpeed Llandow day in August. I can't really plan for much else at the moment though. I will be out and about driving some of our great Welsh roads (can I say 'our' despite being English?!) whenever I get the chance. It would be rude not to!

I want a look when it's done :)
Of course, anytime mate. :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like the sound ITB cars make, in fact this year is about the first year in the last dozen or so I havent had an ITB car somewhere in my stable, and I have had 2 at once a few times (like my itb mk1 clio and itb corsa), and im sure I will have another sometime too, but I think that ITB's are best left to very lightweight stripped out track cars as the lack of torque makes them not very good in anything heavier, and my car is a road car with no weight saving and a radio and rear seats etc, so for my currently application boost suits better.

But its not a case of either always being the best option.

My mini I still might go N/A on for example.

Lionel Richie
diff is off at Quaife, bottom end is pretty much done, just waiting on a lower oil chain cover gasket then i can sort the top end and start putting the car back together :D

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any Progress ??
After a few set backs and delays waiting for parts (and being sent forged rods that were not well enough matched in terms of weights) Fred, as he's mentioned, is now putting it together. Exciting times! :) And I'm sure he'll be glad to see the back of it!

diff is off at Quaife, bottom end is pretty much done, just waiting on a lower oil chain cover gasket then i can sort the top end and start putting the car back together :D
The throttle position sensor should be with you very soon mate... :) On a side note, will you be using the Pure Motorsport aircon delete kit? I think that's what was said when we spoke about it some time back. :eek:
I know you're busy but any chance of a few pics when you get a chance, too? Please? x

Can't wait to see this in action, This car should be A Animal after everything.
And im glad my car has a bit of your car in it lol
Ah yes, of course. Did you notice the 20bhp increase once you'd fitted it?! LOL!

Which ECU will you be using Andy?
I'm sticking with the one I've already got, Keith - GEN90. :)

As much as I've enjoyed driving the Type-R for the last few months I can't wait to get back in the Trophy. My good lady is also wanting her car back as work is becoming a bit of an issue! She works shifts so I have to keep popping in and out of the house, or work, to pick her up and drop her off. Mind you, a small price to pay for having a nice set of wheels to drive around in. Interestingly I've put more mileage on the car in the last few months than she managed to do last year as a whole! :D

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
:lolup: I'm not sure it's the most anticipated car on CS but, like yourself, I can't wait either! There are some lovely ribbons of grey tarmac out there with my name on it...