ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great news Andy any good to see again how everyone is helping out.Any idea when it will be ready ?
I can't give a firm date mate as I'm very much relying on the generosity of those helping me at times that is convenient for them :) That said, I don't think it will be too much longer. Now that the parts are ready I believe the engine builder said he would need (taking into account his other commitments) 10 days or so to ensure all is good and put together properly. Of course I still have the gearbox being sorted (which shouldn't take long, just waiting on the guy to have a slot available as he's currently working with some race teams during their off-season), the loom/dash (which is planned and under control) and then the likes of the pipework fabrication, fitting, assembly, fuel system, brake upgrades, etc. It's coming together though - I'm a happy bunny.

Woohoo! We can be "cars back on the road in 2016" buddies! 😂:up:
Mate - that would be fantastic. Make it happen buddy! :) :beers:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
January 2016 - Update #2
The steady progress on Le Clio B**tard Rouge continues.

I've just had word back that my gearbox has been sorted and is good to go. It cost a little more than anticipated but we didn't want any problems whereby we'd have to be ripping the gearbox out again in the near future! As a result the following was carried out:
  • Complete strip down and component check
  • New selector balls and springs (not sure what they're actually called!)
  • Diff removed from casing so that the casing could be machined to suit the gearbox sender (thus allowing my MAXX ECU to run launch control, boost by gear, etc.)
I'm hoping to have a few photos to share soon as everything starts to come together. Thanks to Dan at SJM and Avanti for sorting out my gearbox :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great news mate, things are moving along !
Cheers, Marc :) They are moving along nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing / hearing about the updates to your Cup over the coming month or two as well.

Boost by gear... Nice
Agreed mate :) I hope you are well and a little more mobile.

Surely just full boost all the time like a pro?
I'm sure it would be fun up until the point whereby I was changing / fixing the gearbox on a weekly basis! Hence I'll settle for semi-pro in this case!

Great news!!!!

Let the excitement begin!
Thanks mate. My own excitement is being tempered for the time being. Just in case! LOL!

Not on a jc5! Lol
Very true! I don't think I'll be partaking in many traffic light Grand Prixs or dumping the clutch too often. Anyway, this is purely going to be a show 'n' shine car from now on... :tonguewink: (yeah right!)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any more news Andy?
Nothing much at the moment, Chris.

The block is ready to go to the machine shop to be matched to my pistons (and then it's a case of having it all put back together). The main issue is the availability of the engine builder as he's a busy guy and has other work to do in addition to my build. Mike has dropped a spare engine and gearbox into mine so that he has something to work against whilst sorting out my loom. Once done, everything will be heading back to Dan at SJM for fitting of the turbo, fuelling system, intercooler, hard pipes, etc. Dan has a few ideas as the plan is to make it a real nice and tidy build so that it also looks good/neat whilst still being ready for some abuse :) The aim is to have it done for next month so maybe not too much longer now...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
April 2016 - Update #1
It's been a while so I thought I'd update my project thread.

The good news is that, earlier today, I received notification that my engine was finished and ready to go! The spec of the engine (and work carried out) is detailed below. Pictures will follow next week all being well... :smile: A massive thanks to Steve for carrying out the work; the guy's a star.

Block and Bottom End
  • Standard Renault F4R cylinder block (bored)
  • Block machined for turbo oil drain
  • Cylinder block skimmed (minimum removed)
  • Block machined for tagged bearings
  • Block line honed
  • Block chemically dipped
  • Block oil galleries cleaned
  • Block painted
  • Sump and front cover blasted to clean outer surface
  • M12 x 1.5mm boss welded to sump for temperature sensor
  • Arrow H-section con rods with ARP 2000 rods bolts
  • CP pistons giving a compression ratio of 8.2:1
  • King 'race series' main bearings (two sets used to give full grooved main bearings, standard is half grooved)
  • King 'race series' big end tagged bearings
  • ARP flywheel bolts
  • ARP main cap studs
  • Oil galleries cleaned
  • Oil jets replaced
  • Oil gallery to head restrictor fitted
  • Dephaser bolt central oil gallery blanked (welded)
  • Crank balanced
Head and Inlet Manifold
  • Fully rebuilt with valve seats cut, valves lapped and new stem seals
  • Standard Renault Megane cylinder head casting with no dephaser
  • Head casting drilled and tapped for timing belt idler pulley mount
  • Head skimmed (minimum removed)
  • ARP head studs
  • Clio 197 inlet manifold lower section welded, machined to obtain a better port match (not perfect but a vast improvement. Welded as casting was not thick enough in area which needed machining)
  • Head fitted using Renault head gasket
Valvetrain
  • Clio 172/182 exhaust cam and modified inlet cam (shortened and oil gallery blanked
  • Standard Megane cam shaft pulleys (inlet pulley drilled for larger dephaser bolt)
  • Supertec inlet and exhaust valves
  • Supertec uprated valve springs
Other
  • Genuine water pump fitted
  • TTV alloy auxiliary crank pulley and water pump pulley fitted
  • Genuine timing belt kit fitted
  • Engine timed to original timing figures/marks
  • Short motor assembled with genuine Renault gaskets and seals
  • AN-8 steel union dowty washer and locking ring fitted
  • Custom TTV billet flywheel (as yours is turbo, heavier than normal Clio 172/182 billet flywheel)
  • New genuine oil pump oil strainer pick de-shrouded, pressure relief valve shimmed, oil pump lid to pump rotors clearance reduced

I'll update with the pics as soon as I receive them :smile:

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Fantastic news Andy. When do you get it back? I hope it's now all the car you wanted it to be and you let to enjoy it at long last

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic news Andy. When do you get it back? I hope it's now all the car you wanted it to be and you let to enjoy it at long last
Thanks mate. I'm still not sure on the return date as there's still a bit to be done. The engine will be shipped from its current location to Mike in Staines for the wiring / loom, ECU hook-up and digital dash side of things. My car is actually with him at the moment (looking somewhat sorry for itself!) Once he has worked his magic it will be trailered to Dan in Glastonbury for the remainder of the work (revised fuel system, brake upgrade, turbo / intercooler / pipework, etc.) As the gentlemen involved are busy I can't really put a return date on it but I'm hoping it won't be too long :)

Nice to see progress. Good luck fella
It is indeed - thank you :)

Evo 5 RS
Scream like a banshee it will, for to down the b roads people will cower in fear as it screams past. Just a Clio they will say, but what a Clio. A Maste... oh ffs it's broken down again. :tongueout:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Can't wait to see the pics matey.
Me neither, fella! I'll post them up as soon as they come through to me :)

This is awesome!
I concur. I'm looking forward to enjoying this one!

Scream like a banshee it will, for to down the b roads people will cower in fear as it screams past. Just a Clio they will say, but what a Clio. A Maste... oh ffs it's broken down again. :tongueout:
P!$$ off your troublemaker... :tonguewink: I'm hoping it's a long time until it breaks (ideally it won't break at all but past experience... well...) I'm going to miss the growl of those ITB's but looking forward to the gobbling of the turkeys. Or something.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I hope so fella! I'll be interested in the final spec myself as I've kinda lost track... :tongueout: It's certainly shaping up nicely and many folks have gone out of their way for me (for which I'm extremely grateful). I'm now looking forward to having a fruity motor for the majority of this year's "car season" and beyond.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Hopefully it's back in time for you to enjoy the summer with it and then it'll have been worth it in the end!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully it's back in time for you to enjoy the summer with it and then it'll have been worth it in the end!
Amen to that :smile: Sun shining, Trophy on boost, quiet Welsh roads, Abba trance blearing out on the stereo... perfect.

Sounds like a comprehensive build list!

Cannot wait to see you driving the car again, Andy :smile:
Thanks mate.
Yes - it's had quite an overhaul from top-to-toe! I wanted it doing properly and didn't really want to do things half-arsed or by cutting corners. When I get it back I'll give you a shout as I expect I'll be up in your neck of the woods now and again :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
April 2016 - Update #2
This is the easiest 20bhp performance increase modification I've ever made to the Trophy... the ring binder added 15bhp and the gearstick bobble hat added 5bhp.

20160418_binderbobble.jpg

In more serious news I have a larger update coming along shortly... :smile:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
April 2016 - Update #3 (Engine Rebuild Part 1)
I'm happy to be able to finally provide another update regarding the engine rebuild. It's been quite a wait and the completion of the engine build is a significant step forward in the overall work that's being carried out on my Trophy (so affectionately known as "Le Clio B**tard Rouge")...

The photos were kindly provided directly by the guy (Steve) who carried out the engine work for me. He's a legend. And I'm now broke. LOL!

Here are the photos (I'll split them over two posts) and a few comments to accompany them. Cheers!

Here's a selection of components used in the build.

King Racing "Race Series" bearings.

20160418_enginebuild01.jpg

20160418_enginebuild07.jpg

ARP main cap stud kit.

20160418_enginebuild02.jpg

ARP head stud kit.

20160418_enginebuild08.jpg

Genuine rear seal.

20160418_enginebuild03.jpg

Flywheel boxed (unique part number).

20160418_enginebuild04.jpg

20160418_enginebuild05.jpg

CP Pistons

20160418_enginebuild06.jpg

And here are a few pics from the build itself (in no particular order)...

New genuine front and rear seals used.

20160418_enginebuild09.jpg

Genuine gasket.

20160418_enginebuild10.jpg

New genuine water pump, original front cover fitted (after blasting).

20160418_enginebuild11.jpg

Rear seals fitted, not flush as they hit the back of the cams.

20160418_enginebuild12.jpg

Oil pump oil pick up/strainer un-shrouded.

20160418_enginebuild13.jpg

New genuine oil pump.

20160418_enginebuild14.jpg

New oil pump fitted, original plastic oil baffle plate fitted.

20160418_enginebuild15.jpg

Turbo oil drain AN-8 threaded locking ring locktited into place

20160418_enginebuild16.jpg

Turbo oil drain steel AN-8 fitting.

20160418_enginebuild17.jpg

20160418_enginebuild18.jpg

More images to follow shortly...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
April 2016 - Update #4 (Engine Rebuild Part 2)
Another selection of images of the engine build.

Block machined for tagged bearings, each main bearing housing and cap done.

20160418_enginebuild19.jpg

20160418_enginebuild20.jpg

New genuine Megane bottom pulley fitted (has Woodruff key for extra security, unlike original 172/182).

20160418_enginebuild21.jpg

Cam cover (looking down).

20160418_enginebuild22.jpg

TTV custom billet flywheel (rear face). Flywheel is heavier than normal 172/182 as this is for a turbo application.

20160418_enginebuild23.jpg

TTV custom billet flywheel (front face).

20160418_enginebuild24.jpg

Flywheel fitted with ARP bolts.

20160418_enginebuild25.jpg

TTV pulleys fitted.

20160418_enginebuild26.jpg

TTV alloy pulleys fitted engine timed up standard timing.

20160418_enginebuild27.jpg

Inlet welded, mating face was bent like a banana after.

20160418_enginebuild28.jpg

20160418_enginebuild29.jpg

197 inlet machined after welding, ports matched (nearly) mating face skimmed.

20160418_enginebuild30.jpg

20160418_enginebuild31.jpg

Megane non-dephaser head used so hole for idler pulley drilled and tapped.

20160418_enginebuild32.jpg

Balanced crank installed.

20160418_enginebuild33.jpg

Balanced crank, ARP main caps studs, King "Race Series" bearings.

20160418_enginebuild34.jpg

Standard balanced crank, Arrow con rods, ARP main cap studs, ARP con rod bolts, King "Race Series" bearings, CP pistons with rings gapped all fitted and torqued up.

20160418_enginebuild35.jpg

Arrow con rods and CP pistons.

20160418_enginebuild36.jpg

Standard F4R block bored and skimmed (minimum removed to ensure good/flat mating face).

20160418_enginebuild37.jpg

Megane head built up, Supertec springs, Supertec valves, 172/182 cams, new stem seals, minimum skimmed to ensure flat/good gasket face.

20160418_enginebuild38.jpg

That's it for now. As you can probably imagine, I'm over the moon with the work that's been done. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until the next update... :smile:

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Not sure if it's been covered already, but what power you hoping for with this build?

Looks like a great spec!
It's strange now that I work in an engine plant all this internal stuff looks very familiar. Crazy

2004 clio 182
Incredible engine build there dude.its so much fun ain't it,I forged a starlet turbo years ago and really enjoyed building the lump myself

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Now, I'm defo no expert at all but is the cam belt tensioner at the proper angle? I thought the Allan key socket was meant to be around the 2 O'clock position?

But wow, some build!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
whats the purpose of the welded inlet? have i missed something?
Its a 197 inlet on a Megane 225 head mate. Different port profiles. The weld is there to strengthen up the flange after it's been machined to suit the 225 ports.

Now, I'm defo no expert at all but is the cam belt tensioner at the proper angle? I thought the Allan key socket was meant to be around the 2 O'clock position?

But wow, some build!
That's just how it is when you convert the 197/225 head to run on a 172. The 8mm bolt for the tensioner is in a different position on the 197/225 in comparison to the 1*2. The belt tensions up and the cams line up fine.