ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
A few friends got some this morning from Amazon.

i think the cheapest anyone has had one is sub £800 with a decent trade in, birthday code etc.
if I hadn’t just gotten an iPhone as a gift, I’d probably get a couple, flog a few and get mine free.
With any phone traded in ?

I will be asking around today to see if anyone has an amazon student account, if not, will go from Samsung website

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Those of you doing the transfer thingy - Is yours taking 400 years?!

Yeah, its easy and all just hitting 'Transfer' but now both mobiles are just sat there doing seemingly nothing. Its driving me beserk!

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Those of you doing the transfer thingy - Is yours taking 400 years?!

Yeah, its easy and all just hitting 'Transfer' but now both mobiles are just sat there doing seemingly nothing. Its driving me beserk!
If I remember correctly, last time I did it through the PC with both phones connected to it, and it went fast. Are you doing the wireless thing ?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
If I remember correctly, last time I did it through the PC with both phones connected to it, and it went fast. Are you doing the wireless thing ?
Yeah, the last time I did it it was pretty quick! This time, not at all!

I did cancel it (thinking it had got stuck) and when I tried again I noticed the cable option. No cigar there either as my old charging port is so iffy it only reads the cable once in every 10 tries. Its half the reason I have upgraded!

Its been going for, approximately, 2.5 hours now and im only at 62%. Which, ironically, says it will take 7 minutes. I dont think so 🤣

Worse still, I really need my phone shortly to go and visit a customer. Im gonna have to sack it off (again!), sort the customer out and then just let it run overnight. fml.

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Yeah, the last time I did it it was pretty quick! This time, not at all!

I did cancel it (thinking it had got stuck) and when I tried again I noticed the cable option. No cigar there either as my old charging port is so iffy it only reads the cable once in every 10 tries. Its half the reason I have upgraded!

Its been going for, approximately, 2.5 hours now and im only at 62%. Which, ironically, says it will take 7 minutes. I dont think so 🤣

Worse still, I really need my phone shortly to go and visit a customer. Im gonna have to sack it off (again!), sort the customer out and then just let it run overnight. fml.
Maybe 3rd time lucky haha

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I spoke too soon earlier 😂 Transfer went fine then it fucked up for some reason. Just started it again and transferred everything apart from pictures and videos. Reduced the transfer size by about 80% and I had a working phone within about 20 minutes.

I'll go back and transfer photos and videos later when I won't be using the phone.

Decent upgrade so far though. Phone is ridiculously fast compared to my S21u. The green colour is sexy too.

20230209_123555.jpg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yeah I spoke too soon earlier 😂 Transfer went fine then it fucked up for some reason. Just started it again and transferred everything apart from pictures and videos. Reduced the transfer size by about 80% and I had a working phone within about 20 minutes.

I'll go back and transfer photos and videos later when I won't be using the phone.

Decent upgrade so far though. Phone is ridiculously fast compared to my S21u. The green colour is sexy too.

View attachment 1630993
Twins!

Agree on all fronts. My Note 20 was half full (500gb I think?), mostly due to work stuff. Everything will be backed up to my one drive so no real need to transfer the gazillion pictures on there to the new one. But, holy bejesus, it's waaay better.

Happy with the upgrade!

And the Mous case. Hmm. Still not sold on it costing £55. £30 is more the vibe. The car charger, same again. However, I will say this, its SOLID. That puppy ain't going nowhere and I'm not fearing a big phone to the testicles on track. Winner.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The Green does look good.

Just told the Mrs about how I've got to wait until 25th as it was earliest Saturday I could've had mine delivered

For her to tell me she's off the whole week before. 🤣

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Twins!

Agree on all fronts. My Note 20 was half full (500gb I think?), mostly due to work stuff. Everything will be backed up to my one drive so no real need to transfer the gazillion pictures on there to the new one. But, holy bejesus, it's waaay better.

Happy with the upgrade!

And the Mous case. Hmm. Still not sold on it costing £55. £30 is more the vibe. The car charger, same again. However, I will say this, its SOLID. That puppy ain't going nowhere and I'm not fearing a big phone to the testicles on track. Winner.
Aye I'm the same, phone was full of shite and TBH I'm just transferring it all over but at least I've got twice the storage now. I hate not having my pictures stored on the phone and relying on them from the cloud but it's probably because I've dealt with slow as f**k internet on Vodafone for 2 years 😂

I've went for a Spigen thin fit case to do me for now. Really tempted to move to QuadLock stuff purely for ease of chucking it onto a mount on the bike, but not sure I want the bulk of the QL case on an already big phone.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Aye I'm the same, phone was full of shite and TBH I'm just transferring it all over but at least I've got twice the storage now. I hate not having my pictures stored on the phone and relying on them from the cloud but it's probably because I've dealt with slow as f**k internet on Vodafone for 2 years 😂

I've went for a Spigen thin fit case to do me for now. Really tempted to move to QuadLock stuff purely for ease of chucking it onto a mount on the bike, but not sure I want the bulk of the QL case on an already big phone.
I cant speak of the QL stuff as I went for Mous but apparently theyre similar.

Honestly, its no bigger (with the cases on) than my Note 20. Its almost comically similar tbh. The S23 Ultra is definitely thicker though (giggidy)

Its battery life im most interested in but only time will tell....

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
What I will say is don't be disappointed with the battery life for the first few weeks/month.

I was and it gradually gets better as it learns your routine.

One thing I strongly recommend that not many people know about is an app called galaxy app booster. You cannot get it as an app on your home screen and you have to go through the galaxy store to both download and open it but it does wonders for your battery.

At 18.32, I'm now on 62% after a full day at work etc which I think is mint.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
What I will say is don't be disappointed with the battery life for the first few weeks/month.

One thing I strongly recommend that not many people know about is an app called galaxy app booster. You cannot get it as an app on your home screen and you have to go through the galaxy store to both download and open it but it does wonders for your battery.

I had no idea that it 'learns'! Cool, but kinda creepy 🤣.

Thanks for the app tip. I'll download it now!

Also done a full day (albeit with a bit of charging in the car) and I'm at 64%. My old phone would have died twice by now 🤣

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Download Good Guardians. That's the 'client' you need to open the galaxy app booster app without always going into the galaxy store. There's loads of other handy apps within it too for better battery management, RAM management and stuff. I've used them since I got my S21 and it definitely helps.

Took my phone off charge at 10am at 85%. Been using it a lot, trying out the camera, generally fannying about with it and it's still at 36%. For it still having a 5000mah battery the same as the S21U, it's so much better!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn’t worry about the battery. I have a nearly yer old 22 ultra and cannot kill it in a day. The improved snapdragon efficiency cores are supposed to have added great leaps to the battery. Same size but massive difference in efficiency. Enjoy.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Was really tempted to trade my S21U in but decided to wait another year I think. This phone really gives me everything I need I'm not even sure I'd notice the improvements yet. The main thing that I've not really liked about the latest Samsung's is the corners being more like the note. I never really liked that style so here's hoping they bring out a more rounded style next year.

Reactions: riz

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Battery life so far is insane compared to my S21u. Fully charged on Monday night, dropped 3% overnight and after a whole day's use with some maps usage and a couple hours of Spotify, I still went to bed with 25% battery.

Fully charged again this morning at about 6am and I'm still sitting at 65% with around 3hrs screen on time so far.

Also, went out Sat afternoon/night, average use plus taking a load of videos and pictures at a gig, even used wireless power share to charge my mrs phone, and still it lasted a full 24 hours.

My S21 would need charged by 6pm through an average days use and if I was on a night out it would be power saving mode all night and even then I'd be lucky if it hadn't died by the time I woke up the next day.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm after a phone for someone.

Criteria is

Upto £300
Android or iPhone.
Later the better.
Decent battery
Not s&it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Battery life so far is insane compared to my S21u. Fully charged on Monday night, dropped 3% overnight and after a whole day's use with some maps usage and a couple hours of Spotify, I still went to bed with 25% battery.

Fully charged again this morning at about 6am and I'm still sitting at 65% with around 3hrs screen on time so far.

Also, went out Sat afternoon/night, average use plus taking a load of videos and pictures at a gig, even used wireless power share to charge my mrs phone, and still it lasted a full 24 hours.

My S21 would need charged by 6pm through an average days use and if I was on a night out it would be power saving mode all night and even then I'd be lucky if it hadn't died by the time I woke up the next day.
The s21 Ultra, if you took it off charge at 7am in the morning you would need to charge it by 6pm?

Good to hear about the S23 though.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The s21 Ultra, if you took it off charge at 7am in the morning you would need to charge it by 6pm?

Good to hear about the S23 though.
Aye, I almost always chucked it on charge in the evenings for a top up. Except maybe the days it'd spend an hour or two connected to the car driving to work and back.

5 hours screen on time was pretty much unachieveable on the S21u. Meanwhile, I'm sat at just under 5hrs now with 40% battery still remaining

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Aye, I almost always chucked it on charge in the evenings for a top up. Except maybe the days it'd spend an hour or two connected to the car driving to work and back.

5 hours screen on time was pretty much unachieveable on the S21u. Meanwhile, I'm sat at just under 5hrs now with 40% battery still remaining

Mine (s21u) is on 48% currently after taking off charge at 5:30 this morning.

Screen time 2hrs 33 mins
38mins on that is from a game that does sap the battery a bit too.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine (s21u) is on 48% currently after taking off charge at 5:30 this morning.

Screen time 2hrs 33 mins
38mins on that is from a game that does sap the battery a bit too.
Yeah that's miles better than what I'd usually get lol. TBH I think mines could've done with a factory reset and it would've improved things because a lot of it just seemed to be background drain I could never work out, but I just dealt with it as it was rather than have the hassle of reinstalling everything.

Was probably past 500 charge cycles so would've been deteriorating a bit too, but I'm just shocked at how different the S23 battery life is for being the same size battery.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at replacing my aging Google Pixel 3XL.

Sky mobile have the Oppo Reno8 Pro 5G

Anyone have any experience with this phone?
Very good looking phone! I remember seeing it a while back and watched a few videos. Nice phone. Night and day to a 3xl.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
S23U came today even though I requested delivery on 25th.
Luckily the wife was home so I can't really complain 🤣

The grey is lighter than I imagined, it's more Nardo Grey to be honest. Only had a quick play around on it for half hour tonight as have been busy.
20230221_160717.jpg

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I know it's been covered loads but what screen protectors do people recommend?

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Big fan of the Spigen ez fit ones, dead easy to put on perfectly and work well being some sort of glass.

Cheers for the response.
I've ordered some Tauri ones off amazon. They look straight forward to fit too.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I liked the samsung ones, I hate anything too thick over the market leading display, I never used to use a screen protector but the glass is "softer" now so picks up fine scracthes more easy but resists drops better, a trade off that no one talks about.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I liked the samsung ones, I hate anything too thick over the market leading display, I never used to use a screen protector but the glass is "softer" now so picks up fine scracthes more easy but resists drops better, a trade off that no one talks about.

I had one from factory on the s21 but the s23 doesn't come with one

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Not the pre installed ones, the ones on the website.

Ohhh I see. I'll see how I get on with these Tauri ones.

Nothing beats the feel of the screen without a screen protector.
You do get used to them being on though

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It was before I got my s22 Ultra, my colleague had been using his at work and he got some fine lines quickly in the same place, might have been his work trousers or something but he wasn't hashy with it. I thought I would stick a protector on there from the start.

Have a new d brand back skin coming for mine as I love using the phone in the house without a case but that frosted back is f**king insanely slippy, hopefully it fits okay with the case unlike my favourite the leather skin.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Is the standard 23 any good?. Not looked into either of the models tbh.

Just noticed a few were selling for around £560

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Stupid question for the people that bought the Samsung S23 . Do you guys register the phone on Samsung website in order to have the warranty ? Or it's enough to keep the receipt, and if you have issues you contact customer support and take it from there ?