ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new TV thread

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How often do you guys buy new TV's?
Sounds like you trade up quite often.

I'm used to buying one and having it for years
I am in market for new TV soon after doing kitchen extension, going to move the slow as hell android Sony into kitchen and get some form of 55 inch for living room

Had the previous one seven years, still perfectly good for telly but not for next gen consoles.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra

I am in market for new TV soon after doing kitchen extension, going to move the slow as hell android Sony into kitchen and get some form of 55 inch for living room

Go OLED if you are in the market for a new TV.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ye I get it. But on the other hand resale value must be shocking surely as they drop in price so much when newer models come out.

My LG C7 was £1300 3 years ago and I sold it for £350 to someone I know so pretty bad yeah. Prices on eBay were like £450 but I let it go a bit cheaper as it saves the hassle with eBay.

When I bought it I planned to keep it for a long time like 5-10 years but when I bought the new Xbox the old TV was lacking in features plus I wanted it to be a bit bigger so I said f**k it why not. Hopefully this one will last what I hoped to get out the C7 now.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think I have ever re sold a TV, the one I have now is just a cheap £500 LG which will end up in the bedroom. I bought that when the Xbox one X came out as it was 4k. Then before that I had a Samsung that I bought from Comet lol and I ended up giving that to my Nan when her old CRT died.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I got a good 10 years out of my (what was good at the time) 50" plasma. I'd like to get 5-10 out of my new 65" oled.
I still have my plasma upstairs and the pictures still good all be smaller...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oops - I knew a walk through the TV section of John Lewis would be a bad idea. I caved and treated myself to a new LG G1 OLED (although was mighty tempted by the Sony Bravia A90J). Next Wednesday can't come quick enough. :ROFLMAO: No idea what to do with my 'old' TV though so I guess it will end up in the home office. Shame. (y)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Got my hisense 55 inch m7000 today. Impressed so far!
So almost 5 years later I’m just starting to get some patches visible on whites and panning during football etc.

I’m not thinking of changing but it would definitely go for another Hisense. Had no issues at all.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Finally ordered a new TV to replace my existing 5 year old budget 55" Hisense. Went for a LG C1 65" from John Lewis, using prices match got it for £1558.

Been eyeing these OLED tv's up since before we bought the Hisense, but couldn't justify the cost at the time as money was tight after moving house and having kids etc. Can't wait for delivery tomorrow

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Finally ordered a new TV to replace my existing 5 year old budget 55" Hisense. Went for a LG C1 65" from John Lewis, using prices match got it for £1558.

Been eyeing these OLED tv's up since before we bought the Hisense, but couldn't justify the cost at the time as money was tight after moving house and having kids etc. Can't wait for delivery tomorrow

You'll love it. I'm so glad I paid the extra and went for the 65" CX instead of getting the 55" .

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I properly rate my LG oled 65". Even though its over a year old it still really impresses me when I'm watching stuff, I don't take it for granted like what I do with phones and new tools

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I still haven't got my Sports settings how I'd like them on my LG Oled. The preset one makes it absolutely awful and I can't get a setting I like.
Has anyone got a good settings list they could post so I can compare?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Just keep on rubbing it in, getting the 55 will always be one of my biggest regrets 😂

However, at least I'll have a reason to upgrade in a couple of years.

When I moved in I just took my old 43" with me. Soon after went for an OLED upgrade, and grabbed the 48" C1, thought well that's bigger so it'll do. But now it's flush on the wall rather than sticking out on a big stand, it's basically the same size, and I wish I went bigger!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I still haven't got my Sports settings how I'd like them on my LG Oled. The preset one makes it absolutely awful and I can't get a setting I like.
Has anyone got a good settings list they could post so I can compare?

Only use dark room, filmmaker or light room in that order imo. Not sure what sports you're watching but good settings can make a world of difference.

Dark room which is what I use most the time is..

50 oled brightness
85 contrast
50 screen brightness
Dynamic contrast off
Peak brightness high
Gamma BT1886
Colour white balance is at warm 50 too and sharpness down to 0.

Those are just a few of the basic bits and gaming etc it quite different but HDTVTest on YouTube is worth a watch he clearly knows his s**t when it comes to calibration. Rtings and AVForums usually a good go to for settings too. Not going to lie I've spent hours setting mine up and I'm really happy with it now.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that.
It's mainly football and the grass is luminous, some kits are blending into the players heads etc, it's just way ott. I've toned it down a bit but it still looks better in standard mode than sports.

I'll have a look at those suggestions. I'm happy with game mode after a few settings were tweaked.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've noticed when flicking through some of the other settings without adjusting them that the details aren't visible. Vivid setting is terrible for hiding details. Colours etc might look really vibrant but once you get used to suggested settings it looks so bad.

I just checked sports mode and the contrast is at 100 standard that's probably why things are blending together and your not seeing as much detail so even if you just turn that down it should improve.

The hardest thing for me to get used to was warm 50 almost seemed wrong at first but you quickly adjust and realise why professional calibrators suggest it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I am a simpleton but had reasonably well settled on a 55” OLED LG tv. Ive seen some comments on setting a tv up - I just want to plug and play, the principe reason for purchase is I’ve just got an Xbox series x. Planning on buying from a local establishment who will price match Amazon and give a 5 year warranty. Am I doing the right thing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08X3R8XMC/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Get a CX while you still can, it's an older model but it's a better TV, it's brighter and supports Dolby Vision gaming @ 120fps, which the XSX also supports.

Re setting up, out of the box it'll be great, but spend 15 mins altering settings as per the HDTV Test video on Youtube and it's even better!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It's brighter, it has a better processor and supports Dolby Vision @ 120fps (although google suggests an update has enabled this on the B1).

Google LG CX vs B1, everyone rates the CX as a better tv, the CX and C1 are almost identical in fact.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
C1 has quite a few extra little gaming features. I could be wrong but I don't think CX has this? Both great TV's mind and the game optimiser menu on C1 just makes it a little more convenient. Switching to FPS for example just brightens dark areas up in games so it's easier to spot enemy or you can have it as standard for most accurate colour etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Get a CX while you still can, it's an older model but it's a better TV, it's brighter and supports Dolby Vision gaming @ 120fps, which the XSX also supports.

Re setting up, out of the box it'll be great, but spend 15 mins altering settings as per the HDTV Test video on Youtube and it's even better!

thanks for the link; is that a legitimate and well known company?

F82 M4
Instead of large TV, anyone thought about a short throw projector, Hisense also comes with a screen.

I've just bought an UST mate, and it's epic. I've converted my conservatory into a cinema room (I know, not the best place for it 😂). Looks decent though, just needs some curtains going up and ceiling drapes/panels. Still plenty to do buts it's definitely getting there!

20220327_190359.jpg
20220326_191447.jpg

20220327_190426.jpg

20220327_190412.jpg

20220324_201935.jpg

20220324_201332.jpg

20220324_200017.jpg

Clio 197,with megan'
I've just bought an UST mate, and it's epic. I've converted my conservatory into a cinema room (I know, not the best place for it 😂). Looks decent though, just needs some curtains going up and ceiling drapes/panels. Still plenty to do buts it's definitely getting there!

View attachment 1585875View attachment 1585880
View attachment 1585876
View attachment 1585877
View attachment 1585878
View attachment 1585879
View attachment 1585881
A lovely set up you have there.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1585875View attachment 1585880
View attachment 1585876
View attachment 1585877
View attachment 1585878
View attachment 1585879
View attachment 1585881

Very nice, just need to sort the position of that center speaker.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate. Yeah, any suggestions? There really isn't anywhere to really put it unfortunately. On the window sill it'll block the projector you see 🙂

Put the curtains up today 👍

View attachment 1586036

View attachment 1586037

I'd try and find a way to raise it an inch or 2 and angle it towards you somehow. At the min it's pointing straight under the sofa.
Only other options I can see is to put it off center a bit above your amp where the controllers are sat or mount it above the screen pointing down.

F82 M4
I'd try and find a way to raise it an inch or 2 and angle it towards you somehow. At the min it's pointing straight under the sofa.
Only other options I can see is to put it off center a bit above your amp where the controllers are sat or mount it above the screen pointing down.

Yeah brill mate, I might just angle it so it's firing slightly upwards then :) I have some little rubber adjustable feet somewhere, they'll do

Ideally I could do with a proper custom made centre console to hold everything, as you can see I'm just using some little cheap TV stands currently. Also I wish the projector was black, white just doesn't go with anything I have! Needs a black subwoofer too

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah brill mate, I might just angle it so it's firing slightly upwards then :) I have some little rubber adjustable feet somewhere, they'll do

Ideally I could do with a proper custom made centre console to hold everything, as you can see I'm just using some little cheap TV stands currently. Also I wish the projector was black, white just doesn't go with anything I have! Needs a black subwoofer too
Get it wrapped?

You could probably make a good custom unit to store everything cheaper than what you'd buy one for.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I'd try and find something along the lines to what I used to have (long time ago now). Center speaker fitted perfectly in it and angled up a bit and you could put the projector on top. Probably wouldn't be too hard/expensive to make one.

IMG_20130331_003330.jpg

F82 M4
Anyone had experience with solar reflective paint? I'm just weighing up the best options for the conservatory roof. I was thinking of installing black panels but it'll be a lot more expensive than just painting it

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone had experience with solar reflective paint? I'm just weighing up the best options for the conservatory roof. I was thinking of installing black panels but it'll be a lot more expensive than just painting it
Would black conservatory blinds not be better... incase you ever want it to be a conservatory again? Be good for sound too probably.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Black out drapes won't be expensive. Think wedding style and make them look normal.