ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new TV thread

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Which model have you got?

Mines only doing it on my 55E7

The CX48 in the kitchen is fine?

Last edited:

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Which model have you got?

Mines only doing it on my 55E7

The CX48 in the kitchen is fine?
It is a 49UH668V.

I’ve had it before but only temporarily, when the app has first started, but then it disappears. Been doing it for nearly 2 days now.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
It is a 49UH668V.

I’ve had it before but only temporarily, when the app has first started, but then it disappears. Been doing it for nearly 2 days now.

Yep same for me. I noticed it first on the skip ads button which had a d next to it. It’s gotta be an issue on yt’s side, just bloody annoying.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My CX isn't doing it either.

The Netflix app keeps randomly crashing though. Sometimes it's fine for hours and other times it will crash every few minutes. Had to switch to the SkyQ Netflix app but I am missing the dolby vision, it's noticeably different.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I never use the apps on the TV, always sky because I use the sky remote (I've had to hide the LG one). Maybe I should use the LG ones though although I don't have a soundbar so not sure how much I'd notice the difference.

Is there a Disney app now? It's so s**t on Sky/PS5 with noticeable frame rate issues.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I never use the apps on the TV, always sky because I use the sky remote (I've had to hide the LG one). Maybe I should use the LG ones though although I don't have a soundbar so not sure how much I'd notice the difference.

Is there a Disney app now? It's so s**t on Sky/PS5 with noticeable frame rate issues.

Yep Disney is available and plays in 4K too.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Dolby Vision is a HDR standard. A DV show on the native app looks a hell of a lot better than playing back in standard HDR via SkyQ. I recommend giving it a go, it's absolutely stunning, until it crashes.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Dolby Vision is a HDR standard. A DV show on the native app looks a hell of a lot better than playing back in standard HDR via SkyQ. I recommend giving it a go, it's absolutely stunning, until it crashes.
Cheers. I've just made sure it's up to date so will watch something later on it once she's finished watching her shite.

I definitely haven't made the most of what the TV can offer tbh.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After a cheap ish TV for the bedroom. The trusty 32 tesco jobbie (about 50 years old) finally started to give up the ghost.

Upt say a couple hundred quid ish?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
After a cheap ish TV for the bedroom. The trusty 32 tesco jobbie (about 50 years old) finally started to give up the ghost.

Upt say a couple hundred quid ish?
Screenshot_20220509-181914.png

Get on richer sounds mate, under online clearance deals.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nipped to currys and bought this.

Reasons.

1. Too many choices, I faff.
2. I was generally pissed off with life so couldn't be doing with point 1.
3. Reduced and great reviews.

IMG_20220509_203323.jpg

Edition 30
Samsung AU7100 or LG 65UP75006LF

Same price, any reason why I'd pick one over the other?

Edition 30
I’m just upgrading from an LG and it’s been amazing for 6 years. Richer sounds think the Samsung is really good value for money so I’ve gone for that.
Also got another 10% off.

65” Samsung TV for £438 doesn’t sound bad!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Samsung have the worst customer service I've ever used... not needed to use LG to compare though!
Not needed it with the TV but our fridge/washer/dryer are Samsung and for that stuff they have been great.

Generally though it seems LG and Samsung switch places each year in Which or Richer Sounds. Phillips occasionally get a look in but the Korean brands dominate the TV market.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've got LG now bit had Samsung before. I actually wanted Sony instead of the Samsung, but there were manufacturing issues or something with the model I wanted so it never got released in the end :( are Sony even still in the game!?

I used to sell TV for a living and back then Panasonic & Pioneer were thought of as the best!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've got LG now bit had Samsung before. I actually wanted Sony instead of the Samsung, but there were manufacturing issues or something with the model I wanted so it never got released in the end :( are Sony even still in the game!?

I used to sell TV for a living and back then Panasonic & Pioneer were thought of as the best!
Sony have made some fantastic TVs over the last few years, the 9500 series was brilliant and probably the best LCD TV ever made but they seem to have axed this more premium model (or did for 2021 at least, I've not followed the 22 models).

They still make some cracking OLED TVs, LG panels but the Sony image processing is better, however you pay a premium and I'm not sure it's worth it over an LG.

No idea about the Samsung OLEDs, are they even out yet?

This thread seems to have two different directions though, people wanting a cheap and cheerful TV, in which case they're all much of a muchness (and lets face it even cheap TVs are pretty damn good these days), and those wanting a more premium set, in which case only LG and Sony are worth a look imo.

Guessing you're from the Plasma era of TV sales then, Panasonic and Pioneer Plasma sets were sublime, used to sell those myself.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yeah absolutely Pioneer were the king of plasma!

I got a really high spec TV as I wanted the best for PS5 etc. but now to be honest I wish I'd gone bigger, even on a cheaper set.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah absolutely Pioneer were the king of plasma!

I got a really high spec TV as I wanted the best for PS5 etc. but now to be honest I wish I'd gone bigger, even on a cheaper set.

Same, when the XSX came out I got the LG CX in 55" but I have big regrets not going 65". Maybe it'll be a good reason to upgrade to a mini led set next year!

I would like to try a 65" set, just to see what it is like before committing to it though.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I did measure up beforehand using Which? guide to TV - It recommended 48"-50" but I wish I went 55"! As you say, maybe next time 🤪

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I really fancy a Sony next. They never came across (years ago) as the most reliable TVs. Every time I go into someone's house that has a Sony of decent quality but no matter the size, I'm always blown away. I almost doubled my budget in store because one of the Sony sets was so good over another LG next to it.

Maybe next time, my 65" Samsung q80 is only 3 years old.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I really fancy a Sony next. They never came across (years ago) as the most reliable TVs. Every time I go into someone's house that has a Sony of decent quality but no matter the size, I'm always blown away. I almost doubled my budget in store because one of the Sony sets was so good over another LG next to it.

Maybe next time, my 65" Samsung q80 is only 3 years old.

The one I got has a 5 year guarantee so they must be pretty confident.

Hands down the best TV I have ever seen.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Top stuff mate. It was more years ago in fairness. I definitely want to spend a bit more and go Sony next.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
What’s the software like on the Sony? It’s the only think that puts me off the brand. I think that’s down to me being too used to webOS however.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I was having some really annoying stutter when watching Netflix on the in built app. After I cranked the smoothness to 2 it's silky smooth now. The quality of the picture even when watching Netflix is impressive. Looks really good in HDR/Dolby Vision. Still a lot to learn and play with in the settings. For some strange reason the ethernet port is 100mbps limited rather than 1gb so either use good WiFi or you could probably get an adapter for use over usb. The behind the screen speakers are also pretty good, better than your average TV but it would still benefit from a proper surround setup or soundbar.

If you're looking to upgrade your old TV and your not looking to do much serious gaming (latency isn't as low as rivals and only has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports) and prefer movies/series then this is an outstanding TV. Really happy with it so far. It's probably because I was using such a s**t TV before 😂

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I was having some really annoying stutter when watching Netflix on the in built app. After I cranked the smoothness to 2 it's silky smooth now. The quality of the picture even when watching Netflix is impressive. Looks really good in HDR/Dolby Vision. Still a lot to learn and play with in the settings. For some strange reason the ethernet port is 100mbps limited rather than 1gb so either use good WiFi or you could probably get an adapter for use over usb. The behind the screen speakers are also pretty good, better than your average TV but it would still benefit from a proper surround setup or soundbar.

If you're looking to upgrade your old TV and your not looking to do much serious gaming (latency isn't as low as rivals and only has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports) and prefer movies/series then this is an outstanding TV. Really happy with it so far. It's probably because I was using such a s**t TV before 😂
i have a Bravia, it's a great TV but no way i could game on it, but as a tv it's really really good.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hello folks.

We've got an LG TV, 43" with 4k that we've had since 2017. It's lasted us well but some of the colour has started to go now so we're going to need to get something else.

I have an Xbox Series S which I barely get time to play on as I've got twin babies however, I'd like a TV that's got some decent features in it.

I was thinking something 55" but from what I've read on this thread, 65" seems the way to go (65" seems absolutely massive to me).

I know there are a lot of features that come on modern TV's, especially for gaming such as HDMI 2.1, HDR 10, VRR, Dolby Vision etc. Is there anything that comes under £500 that's going to have any of the above features, or am I looking at £1000 or more realistically?

I'm not a massive gamer so having all of the features don't matter too much, it would be nice to have some though.

Cheers

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Hello folks.

We've got an LG TV, 43" with 4k that we've had since 2017. It's lasted us well but some of the colour has started to go now so we're going to need to get something else.

I have an Xbox Series S which I barely get time to play on as I've got twin babies however, I'd like a TV that's got some decent features in it.

I was thinking something 55" but from what I've read on this thread, 65" seems the way to go (65" seems absolutely massive to me).

I know there are a lot of features that come on modern TV's, especially for gaming such as HDMI 2.1, HDR 10, VRR, Dolby Vision etc. Is there anything that comes under £500 that's going to have any of the above features, or am I looking at £1000 or more realistically?

I'm not a massive gamer so having all of the features don't matter too much, it would be nice to have some though.

Cheers

65" isn't the the way to go if it's too big, what size room do you have and how far away will you sit?

If you're not fussed about gaming then HDMI 2.1 isn't really a big deal, with an XSS you'd see benefits from VRR and ALLM though. Dolby Vision is a nice to have though.

I'm still fully on team OLED, this has hit about £900 recently, but I wouldn't expect any deals now until black friday, I reckon that 55" OLED could be down to £800ish then.

I'd rather have a high end 55" TV than a low end 65" set, which is the compromise you are looking at with a sub £1k budget.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Use a guide to see the optimal TV for your room size, I used one from Which? I think. I went all in with the top spec I could and on Netflix I can hardly notice the difference between SD & 4K 🤪 then again my eyesight is shite.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cheers guys. So is it possible to get a 55" TV that has HDMI 2.0 but also comes with ALLM and VRR?

We'd like to go Sony this time as the image quality is excellent on her mums TV, and it's a really old television compared to ours. The colours just seem so much better than our LG one.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Both ALLM and VRR are 2.1 features, some TVs will imitate ALLM with auto game mode which is good enough tbh unless you use the console for tv/film too a lot.

You can't just blanked rule Sony are better than LG either, are you comparing a high end Sony to a low end LG? Sony do make excellent TVs don't get me wrong, but so do most manufacturers. I'd go to a shop and look at the ones you like, also check out AVForums too.

Particularly this thread: https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2021-2022-edition.2389508/
And some good guides here too: https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-links-guides.2116485/

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Both ALLM and VRR are 2.1 features, some TVs will imitate ALLM with auto game mode which is good enough tbh unless you use the console for tv/film too a lot.

You can't just blanked rule Sony are better than LG either, are you comparing a high end Sony to a low end LG? Sony do make excellent TVs don't get me wrong, but so do most manufacturers. I'd go to a shop and look at the ones you like, also check out AVForums too.

Particularly this thread: https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2021-2022-edition.2389508/
And some good guides here too: https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-links-guides.2116485/
Thanks very much for your help mate, I'm not ruling other TV's out by any stretch but we do really like Sony. We are going to spend some time looking at some in the shops though definitely.

Cheers mate.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Hi guys
I know you've been helpful in the past so thought I'd ask again.

I'm after a new TV for the living room at home. 65" preferably, currently have a 49" Sony that will go into kitchen extension.

I was looking at Samsung, but a guy at work said to look at LG also.
I don't currently have a PS5 but would like to know the TV is futureproofed if I do get a PS5 next year etc.

Budget I'd say is 1k max
Any help is appreciated

Thanks x