ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Just a question, when you go on the AMD's website and go onto the Processors, then onto the 9000 Series, there's 4 currently listed I'm aware there's the X3D version coming out soon, but when you go onto the other Series like the 7000 , 5000 Series for eg theres way more varients on each series than the new 9000 series, does this mean there's more and more varients on the 9000 series coming out or is that it?

Also when you go on the Max Memory Speed bit on the AMD website there's 3600 and 5600 listed, but i know people on YouTube been putting on 6000 ram on. Can someone explain to me what's goin on, I'm confused. This is for the 9600x and the 9700x
The reason people use 6000mhz with the 7xxx is to run the memory controller at a 1:1 ratio but you'll have to do a big of manual tweaking.

The 9 series X3D haven't been launched yet but will be in the coming months, no confirmation on dates and models yet.

A reason why the older series have more models is because certain chips might only have 6 good cores instead of 8. They might only run at 4.3ghz instead of 4.6ghz for example. So they are released later on to slot in between other processors.

E.g the 5800X3D was the only X3D CPU for ages. Then eventually AMD released the 5600X3D and 5700X3D which could all be the same CPU on the production line but binned differently.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The reason people use 6000mhz with the 7xxx is to run the memory controller at a 1:1 ratio but you'll have to do a big of manual tweaking.

The 9 series X3D haven't been launched yet but will be in the coming months, no confirmation on dates and models yet.

A reason why the older series have more models is because certain chips might only have 6 good cores instead of 8. They might only run at 4.3ghz instead of 4.6ghz for example. So they are released later on to slot in between other processors.

E.g the 5800X3D was the only X3D CPU for ages. Then eventually AMD released the 5600X3D and 5700X3D which could all be the same CPU on the production line but binned differently.
For someone like me who doesn’t want to mess around with settings and have no idea how to Overclock, do is it not worth my money on getting 6000mhz ram and just go for the 5600mhz ?

i think the new 9600x 6 cores will do me or at a push the 9700x 8 cores. im not sure if the 9000 series X3D will be overkill for me as my pc won’t be just for gaming will be for general use and the odd editing,

say if I go for the 9600x , I’ve seen the prices say for a 4070 , 4070 super or 4070ti , think that would be a good card to go for that cpu? balance wise. Hoping the prices on the cards will go down next year.

be interesting to see what the prices and specs on new line of gfx cards or just get last gen card high spec much cheaper?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
9700 will be best for CPU based stuff, editing etc. especially if it's multicore supporting software. Single threaded they'll be fairly similar.

Won't really matter for games, you'll be GPU limited on a 4070 anyway at 1440P.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As for ram, look for EXPO (like XMP for Intel) and stick to DDR6000 with CL30. You won't need to do so much tweaking then, just set it in the bios (make sure the motherboard allows EXPO RAM etc.)

Either a 32gb or 64gb kit depending on your needs (32gb is enough for most).

I just realised my cpu i9 14900k and the 7 7800x3d I have on order both have max ram speed of 5600 and 5200 respectively. I have 64gb 6000mhz in mine, I didn't know cpus had max speeds.

Is there any point running a faster speed? Does it 'de clock' the ram and put it under less stress?

New 7 7800 3dx and asrock b650i not working :( Computer turns on but nothing displays. Updated the bios via flash back which correctly went through but same thing, have tried all the take it apart and re seat and nothing.

According to asrock site, the ram i have is not on the compatible list, I need a different cas latency for the speed/size I have. Will call supplier later and go from there.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_1181.jpeg

You slotted the ram into the correct sockets? Usually it’s a2 & b2 if using two sticks.
Mini itx so only 2 slots, I tried one stick at a time and nothing. I’d done that before with the intel cpu and confirmed both ram was good.

it could be cpu, would be ironic considering I bought it because it’s more reliable than the i9!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Mini itx so only 2 slots, I tried one stick at a time and nothing. I’d done that before with the intel cpu and confirmed both ram was good.

it could be cpu, would be ironic considering I bought it because it’s more reliable than the i9!

Could be board, cpu or ram. Aslong as you’re happy the power supply has been connected properly to the board for both cpu and main power supply.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
New 7 7800 3dx and asrock b650i not working :( Computer turns on but nothing displays. Updated the bios via flash back which correctly went through but same thing, have tried all the take it apart and re seat and nothing.

According to asrock site, the ram i have is not on the compatible list, I need a different cas latency for the speed/size I have. Will call supplier later and go from there.
The ram should normally default to a slower setting compatible with the motherboard. Then you change it later in the bios.

Assuming this is the same ram you had that ran ok previously?

Could be board, cpu or ram. Aslong as you’re happy the power supply has been connected properly to the board for both cpu and main power supply.
When I ran the bios flash back It has you connect the main power supply and cpu supply which seemed to work, so confident its not psu or connections related.

The ram should normally default to a slower setting compatible with the motherboard. Then you change it later in the bios.

Assuming this is the same ram you had that ran ok previously?
Yes same ram, its Corsair Vengeance ddr5 6000mhz CMK64GX5M2B6000C38

Asrock site says that code is not compatible, its the equivalent but C40 on the end it says compatible not 38. I read someone say that ram not compatible could work fine for someone but doesnt mean for you lol

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
When I ran the bios flash back It has you connect the main power supply and cpu supply which seemed to work, so confident its not psu or connections related.

Yes same ram, its Corsair Vengeance ddr5 6000mhz CMK64GX5M2B6000C38

Asrock site says that code is not compatible, its the equivalent but C40 on the end it says compatible not 38. I read someone say that ram not compatible could work fine for someone but doesnt mean for you lol
The C40 and C38 could well be the same ICs but binned differently.

Whenever I've installed ram before they've always ran at a slower speed and timings than advertised and I've had to adjust them manually.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

Here's an interesting video about the Motherboards including the X870 and X870E. Also there's some new Motherboards coming out early next year B840 and B850, could be the one of 2 I'll be going for

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
9700 will be best for CPU based stuff, editing etc. especially if it's multicore supporting software. Single threaded they'll be fairly similar.

Won't really matter for games, you'll be GPU limited on a 4070 anyway at 1440P.
I don't do that much editing like, might end up doing more editing on YouTube and might do some Photoshop in the future, mainly just browsing and streaming Netflix and other stuff like that at the minute but handy to have a capable CPU in the future than swopping one out. The 9700X is a little high on price I'm sure the prices will go down next year.

Not sure what you mean by GPU limited on the 4070, yeah I'm aware of the EXPO on the ram, seen videos where in the BIOS it shows the lowest mhz and go into the setting on the bios and change it to say the 6000mhz.

I'm a little concerned on the bottlenecking and making sure that the CPU and GPU are balanced. So at the minute it's looking like the 9600X or the 9700X along with a 4070 maybe a Super version if the prices come down. The 4080 and 4090 will be out of my price range. My PC Parts Picker price is coming up at around £1500 now, i don't want to go any higher than that.

My current pc is 8 years next year and would like my new pc to last same sort of lengh without any changes or upgrades unless something gives in really

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
In games at 1440P, the 4070 will be at 100% utilisation before the CPU.
Sorry I still don’t know what that means. I guess for those CPU’s the 4070 non Super even ti will be at max doing it’s thing, so I need next level up like a Super or 4080

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I wouldn't worry, they'll work ok together.

If you did want more performance without spending any extra you could get a Radeon 7900 GRE
there's still early mid to early next year when i'll be ready and placing orders on parts, just getting me head round on stuff. new parts and price changes will effect my build.

Thanks for your help on stuff though

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
there's still early mid to early next year when i'll be ready and placing orders on parts, just getting me head round on stuff. new parts and price changes will effect my build.

Thanks for your help on stuff though
Yeah it'll be completely different by then. Definitely a different GPU and probably CPU.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
did any of you lot get any good deals on stuff last year on Prime day, it's on in 2 days and wondering if i should be looking out for anything in particular