ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Renault 5 GT Turbo Resto

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Great to see so much effort going into getting it sorted 👍.

I’d agree with above, I think the rust is nowhere near as bad as it could have been. It looks like there’d been a couple of dodgy MOT spec repair panels welded on and they’ve made things worse

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Great to see so much effort going into getting it sorted 👍.

I’d agree with above, I think the rust is nowhere near as bad as it could have been. It looks like there’d been a couple of dodgy MOT spec repair panels welded on and they’ve made things worse
Yes mate, it looked like they were just welding over the top of the rotten metal and hiding the rust that way... either way, I'm glad it's sorted now :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
There's Ford's a quarter of the age with worse rust out there 😂. Great work on it, especially swapping the roof. My second tungy had a sunroof and I got soaked every time I turned left! Please tell me you put the standard grille back on?

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
There's Ford's a quarter of the age with worse rust out there 😂. Great work on it, especially swapping the roof. My second tungy had a sunroof and I got soaked every time I turned left! Please tell me you put the standard grille back on?
I'll post some pics up of how it looks now, I still need to stick the interior in, and some other bits and bobs... been parked in the garage since I was working on the 182 instead.
I need at least one of the projects back on the road for this summer lol!

I'm on the hunt for a standard grille, but parts are few and far between, when you can find them for sale, they're a fortune haha

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I'm on the hunt for a standard grille, but parts are few and far between, when you can find them for sale, they're a fortune haha
I knew my hoarding would pay off...

200.gif

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I'll post some pics up of how it looks now, I still need to stick the interior in, and some other bits and bobs... been parked in the garage since I was working on the 182 instead.
I need at least one of the projects back on the road for this summer lol!

I think you’ll find people will sell stuff, but some need to know the parts are actually going onto a car.

When you know a few of the right people, they don’t tend to bum you on prices and will open their garage for you…

The other day I was saying to someone I fancied a phase 1 rear arch kit to go with my grill and they offered to post me some.

You’ve really gotta get to the events and get chatting.. sometimes they just gotta know ya.

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
After I had the wheels refurbished and buying a nice private reg for it, I had it on the road for a further 2-3 months, before taking it off and stripping it in the garage!

I had full intentions of just getting the shell re-painted... things didn't go to plan, as you'll find out why in the next load of pictures :(
Let's just say that rust became a big issue!...
That nova Gsi takes me back to my youth. Bought mine of 140k, stuck a Courtenay sunstrip and TSW alpines on it. Great to see one still kicking around.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Here’s mine that I Barry’ed into oblivion back in the day - wish I’d kept it….and kept it standard

I have one of them bumpers in the shed, just need the cooler, but people want 1.4mil for them..

I don’t know how they command that as I have the bumper and I’m only willing to give £30.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Nice mate, looks very similar to mine in your first pictures!

1683921029412.jpeg

Just checked the MOT and it's been off the road since 2020 :( hope it's not dead. Is there any way to find out if a car's SORN?

16V F7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16V
Epic to see another one saved. Well done sir👍👍

Gold Williams wheels on a tungy looks the nuts.

Are you building back up standard or Resto mod?

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Epic to see another one saved. Well done sir👍👍

Gold Williams wheels on a tungy looks the nuts.

Are you building back up standard or Resto mod?
Plan is to build it back to OE+

I have a T2 hybrid going on, white hose kit, lots of chrome pipe work under the bonnet (but nothing mental!)

I ended up selling the Willy's cause some chap on the owners page wanted them and offered me a cash price I couldn't refuse.
I do want another set, but that money went into helping fund the resto...

All the interior is OEM though, same for the exterior, minus the grille and whatever wheels I choose to put on it

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Something I'd love to get but guessing parts are hard to find, I've spent many an hour back in the day changing clutches & cables, turbo's, head gaskets etc, I loved them but they don't like a good daily hiding without breaking something 😂

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
That's awesome bud! How many dump valves does one man need though!! 😝
😂 3 valves, 2 intercoolers, water injection, boost up to the max and hopelessly unreliable. I was really buying into all the GT Tuning bullshit back then and spent a small fortune with them - I don’t even want to think about how much that car cost me. I actually saw their old blue Raider demo car around my way about 3 or 4 months ago - reg number B5 GTT. It looked horrific, stickers in the windows advertising its statistics….it was crying out to be de-chavved. Your one however is coming along very nicely and I’ll be interested to see the end result👍🏻

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I had a fair amount of GT Tuning parts on my first 5. I had the first production breadbin intercooler fitted along with a hybrid etc by Roland himself and I had a blast with a certain David Kirk when I left Poole. I'll have to dig out the pics of car although I took as few pics back then as I do now😂.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Been following updates on insta and good to see its about there now after all the work.

Still dont miss my old tungy. Prefer looking at them these days. Extra van still fills that c1j hit when i need it though.

16V F7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16V
OE+ 👍 👍

I have stripped mine down for a second time now in the 16 years I’ve owned it. Like you, I want it to look original on the outside, just with aftermarket wheels (preferably Williams wheels as well) and I have a full mint interior to go back in. I want to do a lot more with the C1J though. I want a high spec build with efi, stand alone management and I’m not putting any 30 year old wiring back in. I need someone to build me this high spec engine though. (Someone like you Brigsy would be great!?) I have the body work and paint and electrics being handled.

I will be watching your build closely! I’ve got 2 or 3 gtt grills in the garage I think. If it’s 3 I will sell you one, or I would love to have done a deal for your Williams wheels!

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Something I'd love to get but guessing parts are hard to find, I've spent many an hour back in the day changing clutches & cables, turbo's, head gaskets etc, I loved them but they don't like a good daily hiding without breaking something 😂
Parts aren't that hard to find, I think the main issue is when people add the Renault 5 tax on top...
It's just expensive when s**t goes wrong 🫣

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
I had a fair amount of GT Tuning parts on my first 5. I had the first production breadbin intercooler fitted along with a hybrid etc by Roland himself and I had a blast with a certain David Kirk when I left Poole. I'll have to dig out the pics of car although I took as few pics back then as I do now😂.
Yep! dig out some pics mate, would be good to see them

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Been following updates on insta and good to see its about there now after all the work.

Still dont miss my old tungy. Prefer looking at them these days. Extra van still fills that c1j hit when i need it though.
Thanks dude! Don't post that much on insta anymore as you'd have noticed... I'll have to get back on it and share some updates on there soon (y):cool:

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
OE+ 👍 👍

I have stripped mine down for a second time now in the 16 years I’ve owned it. Like you, I want it to look original on the outside, just with aftermarket wheels (preferably Williams wheels as well) and I have a full mint interior to go back in. I want to do a lot more with the C1J though. I want a high spec build with efi, stand alone management and I’m not putting any 30 year old wiring back in. I need someone to build me this high spec engine though. (Someone like you Brigsy would be great!?) I have the body work and paint and electrics being handled.

I will be watching your build closely! I’ve got 2 or 3 gtt grills in the garage I think. If it’s 3 I will sell you one, or I would love to have done a deal for your Williams wheels!
If only I still had them williams wheels... :cautious:

Let me know if you manage to find a spare in the garage, I could be interested in a grille if the price is right :cool:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Only got a couple of pics. Grey one was my first, way back when max power was big and GT Turbo's were a common sight. The blue one left that spot on a flatbed and was sold on with a dodgy mot a week later ☹️.
first53.jpg
old blue day 1.jpg

As for Williams wheels they look a bit curvy for the 5 imo, as did my Azev E's. A nice set of Renault 19 turbines however 😍.

For sale, R19 turbines. Pm me👍😂.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Not mine..
IMG_7367.jpeg
I got a set of turbines once but just couldn’t get along with them…

Wheels I’ve liked have come and gone, but some have always stayed at the top of my retro wheel list.

Williams (sold ☹️ neighbour has spare😎)
Tsw blades (have some)
Azevs A, but wish I had some C’s I think they’re called
Cup wheels (have)
Oe (have)

But the ones I would sell a nut for are Hocks…

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Fantastic progress! I was never a 5 lover, too small for my size, but I still have a 9 Turbo (same engine), and 2 21 Turbo's from that era. Brilliant cars!