ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The TT conversion is underway now

Volvo S60 T5
Had a bit of spare time today, the job I had booked in didnt turn up:mad:
So said to Dave what you going to do, well with that he had my clio on the ramp whipped the engine and box out of it in record time:eek:
So finnished the jobs I had to finnish off and sat at work now is my clio with a TT engine in the engine bay.
Still needs loads of work, spent tonight cutting the subframe so engine would sit in enought for me to shut the bonnet.
ECU has been sent off for upgrading to emeralds latest firmware.
Taking the camera in tommorow to get some pics, and as promised Ile do a TT conversion guide.
All being well I hope to have the car up and running by january, plenty of time IMO.

I don't understand why anyone would want to put a VW engine in a Renault, saw it done to a 5? Put the TT engine in a mk.1 Golf.......that I can understand.

SLK 350
Because they're better engines?
Because you can squeeze 400bhp out of them?
Because they're cheap to get a hold of?

Volvo S60 T5
Well over the last 10 months I have purchased little bits and peices off ebay so has cost very little.
I expect total costs to be £3k max, have spent £1k so far and thats BAM 225bhp engine, Gearbox that I suspect has a limited slip diff in it already, alternator, starter motor, clutch, flywheel, exhaust downpipe, throttle body, and a few other bits.

SLK 350
It's a good conversion to do in a Clio, forget your Golf. Check out Matts old car, it's not the first time it's been done Carlos and that happened to go quite nicely (in a straight line).

... but the reality is that people will want a faster more reliable power plant. I think it's awesome they fit tbh, it's another nice option to have and cheaper than turbo'ing the F7/4 engines as well as more reliable

I just believe that a Renault shell should have a Renault engine.......full stop!

Theres some boring sods on here :S

I would love to turn up to santa pod or a track day in a sleeper like that. The look on peoples faces as you pass them will be worth all the effort and cost by far!

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
Carlos its Mikes car and his money hes putting into the job so why do you care? Maybe you could get an high horse and put a mules bollox on it, nice conversion job nobody else as done.

Carlos its Mikes car and his money hes putting into the job so why do you care? Maybe you could get an high horse and put a mules bollox on it, nice conversion job nobody else as done.

I wouldn't for one moment tell anyone how to spend their money, what Mikes doing isn't a good job or wheather it makes a good car or not, call me old fashioned, narrow minded even but I just don't get it...........that's all.

I would expect Mike fancies a change from pissing about with an engine that has surpassed it's possible tuning potential with something a little more playable.

He's played with throttle bodies before remember so obviously knows the best route to explore.

I guess we all better remove our CTR aerials too...

Last edited:
  Mountune Tractor
I would expect Mike fancies a change from pissing about with an engine that has surpassed it's possible tuning potential with something a little more playable.

He's played with throttle bodies before remember so obviously knows the best route to explore.

Amen Day!
Mike had endless trouble with the bodies and when i spoke to him he said he didn't get nearly enough power than he was expecting out of the renault plant (and he spent enough time, energy and money on it!!!).
Can't wait till it's finished going to be a monster :cool: . Love clio turbo's.

Clio 172 mk2
Look forward to seeing the pics & conversion guide

3k doesn;t sound too bad when you think of the results....and also the fact that's the engine is probably going to be more reliable than a Renault one

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Having fallen in love with a Volvo Turbo powered R5 (rear engined) @ Donnington, I'm all for quality conversions

Just leave it 'stock' outside please!

Integra Type-R DC2
Look forward to seeing the pics & conversion guide

3k doesn;t sound too bad when you think of the results....and also the fact that's the engine is probably going to be more reliable than a Renault one

Dose sound tempting, and wouldnt cost the earth. Best part about it is that it gets classed as a kit car, so insurance can become quite cheap and you are exempt from emissions laws. Legal De-cat ahoy!

fabia vrs
id love too see this when it is done !!! was thinking bout doing the same to mine !!! Love vag motor's but like my clio so sounds like a match made in heaven !!!:D

LOL @ Carlos being a dick - having met him and had the pleasure of a passenger ride in his VX220, both driven by him and his rather nice missus :evil: (who is as fast as him ;) lol), I can confirm that he's far from 'a dick'!

I see where he's coming from - it's about the heritage thing. In the same way that fast fords should always be powered by fast ford engines, regardless of being from the same or a different model, so Renaults should be powered by fast Renault engines.

It's just a shame it's so hard to get decent gains out of stock lumps without spending a fortune :(

So, for me, my heart says it should really be a renault engine, but my mind says "duh, it's cheaper for more power from the VAG engine!" lol

Amen Day!
Mike had endless trouble with the bodies and when i spoke to him he said he didn't get nearly enough power than he was expecting out of the renault plant (and he spent enough time, energy and money on it!!!).
Can't wait till it's finished going to be a monster :cool: . Love clio turbo's.

it never stood a fair chance though, the Webber kits are notorious for being garbage.

172 cup TT
Yeh sorry Carlos, i'm sure you're alright - you were just winding me up and seemed abit troll-like thats all son :)

Josh : Are you sure about it being classed as a "Kit-car" afterwards for insurance / emissions etc?

ta

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I love mike, he is a wonderful chap.

Gotta be better than those TB's! lol!

it has crossed my mind this a few times after seeing Matt's at York dragway, surely will work out at nearer 5k for a tuned version.

Cant wait to see progress on this