ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of buying a clio cup 172 - no abs worries me tho!!

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
hello. im looking to buy a clio sport.
the normal 172s i dont personally like.
the 172 cups look nice and the average price of them suits me.
the 182 non cup is what i would prefer to get but its just under £400 more to insure than a normal 172 sport.
i would get the 172 cup out of all these but the problem is the fact it has no abs would worry me. BIG TIME! lol
Does anyone rekon the 182 non cup is worth the £200 extra to insure than the 172 cup??

also can any 172 cup owners tell me what its like driving with no abs!??

Many thanks, reece.

182 Cup is s**te. Avoid.

182 is a good buy. Are you sure the insurance difference is that big? They're the same group.

The 172 Cup is brilliant. ABS isn't that big a deal. It's a last ditch thing. Not something you should rely on. You shouldn't ever need it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How are you getting quote for a 182 that are £200 MORE than a 172cup?

Not having ABS wouldn't bother me at all TBH.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
How are you getting quote for a 182 that are £200 MORE than a 172cup?

Not having ABS wouldn't bother me at all TBH.

^^This. I'd happily go to a cup (but it wouldn't ever make financial sense to me!)

Not that car ownership these days makes much financial sense anyway...:eek:

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
well every1 seems to like the 172 cup! if abs isnt that much ov a deal then ill look further more into buying 1! Its just nice knowing you have the abs there in emergancys tho lol! i try and use gears to slow down as much as i can anyway

In two and a half years I've locked the brakes once in my cup. Not a huge issue whatsoever. If you do get one just leave bigger gaps then you normally would from the car in front while you get used to the car.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
well every1 seems to like the 172 cup! if abs isnt that much ov a deal then ill look further more into buying 1! Its just nice knowing you have the abs there in emergancys tho lol! i try and use gears to slow down as much as i can anyway

lol clio won't last long then, also why?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pads cost peanuts compared to a new gearbox.

Also as your worried about ABS i assume you're using the gearbox to slow down at ABS inducing speeds?

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
Pads cost peanuts compared to a new gearbox.

Also as your worried about ABS i assume you're using the gearbox to slow down at ABS inducing speeds?
i only really use the gearbox to slow down then im stopping for a high speed tbh. not when im plodding along as such.

monaco 172
my 182 cup packed has got abs and i drive it pretty hard and have only ever felt the abs actually kick in when it was icy/snowy and tbh in these times i wish id have not got abs because even when rolling at about 15mph on snow the abs just goes mental and makes it quite difficult to stop.

my 182 cup packed has got abs and i drive it pretty hard and have only ever felt the abs actually kick in when it was icy/snowy and tbh in these times i wish id have not got abs because even when rolling at about 15mph on snow the abs just goes mental and makes it quite difficult to stop.

in the snow is only time i use my gears to stop it helps alot, prevents the wheels locking up.

Fiesta ST-3
Not had any cheek touching moments in the cup yet. A few lock ups on loose gravel but nothing else. And that's including a Cliosport driving meet over the Brecon Beacons.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 182 and 172 before had ABS, but they very rarely come on, and when it does i expect it to.

Mk5 golf gti
hmmm...phase 1 bit to old for me :\ not to keen on the front bumper or headlights either

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPGXf4aKBVQ8hOP9SuFMkHSlFDXaZZ8pjJxukoqt4eG7lujnYP.jpg

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
ohhh!! poor toyo's! :( well thats £60 youll be having to spend out again! anyway...can anyone tell me this then....how much quicker is the 172 cup to a fiesta st running 176bhp? because i beat a non cup 172 quite easily! just wonderin how the cup would perform in comparission?

Clio 172 Cup
My Cup shows my mates 185 Mountune ST the back door in a straight line, quite embarrassing for him actually considering her nearly spunked £2000 on the kit.

In the corners is a case of what ST lol

Zetec YO!!!!!
My Cup shows my mates 185 Mountune ST the back door in a straight line, quite embarrassing for him actually considering her nearly spunked £2000 on the kit.

This. A cup for me is all about the handling just cos a car is fast in straight line doesnt mean it is 'quick'.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
ohhh!! poor toyo's! :( well thats £60 youll be having to spend out again! anyway...can anyone tell me this then....how much quicker is the 172 cup to a fiesta st running 176bhp? because i beat a non cup 172 quite easily! just wonderin how the cup would perform in comparission?

Driver skill may have played a part in you beating him

Iv only ever locked up once and that was wid pretty mch bald tyres..wen 1st got my cup it was raining and no matter how hard I broke it just didn't lock up. Neally ripped ya face off with the stopping power.. Get a cup and enjoy the car 4what it is

Fiesta Zetec S MK6

i have to say that mountune ST package is a complete waste of money and there nowhere near as good as what there made out to be! 6.8 seconds 0-60 my ass!! I did enjoy my ST tho was extremely torquey at 210.1Nm. Im not buying a clio for nothing tho. If i thought STs where better i would be buying an ST instead! ohh by the way to the comment bellow about cornering. i wouldnt underestimate fiesta handeling. there actually very good i found! hardly any roll when chuckin it round roundabouts and bends and maintained a good speed round them too. but most sporty small hatches have good chassis. except vauxhall lol!

The Clio is in another league to the ST my friend.

What you need to work out in your own mind is do you want toys in your car, if so get a FF 182. If your willing to swap the toys for a little more fun get a cup.

Clio 172 Cup
I wouldn't say a waste of money, it does turn the car into what Ford should have released. He was expecting alot more from the whole setup though. Think his ran 168bhp and 199nm on the Rolling Road (ATF).

He doesn't rate his handling in any way, lowered on Eibach Sportlines, very very twitchy. Then he does drive like he's wearing clown shoes, lift off oversteer FTL