ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of buying a clio cup 172 - no abs worries me tho!!

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
The Clio is in another league to the ST my friend.

What you need to work out in your own mind is do you want toys in your car, if so get a FF 182. If your willing to swap the toys for a little more fun get a cup.

yeah defo! ST not that good lol! tbh 182 insurance is bit too dear for me. i can insure a 172 cup for £200 cheaper than a normal 182.

Westy. MX5
When I think of the early days of ABS we all though it was new kind of gizmo that won't last but now every car has it and it works well. For those started driving on ABS cars for some reason they think they are going to die.
Get back basics STSaunders and learn to drive again, you WILL love a 172 Cup, honest.

rb182 cup
buy a cup....theres other dangers on the road like oil/diesel & havin ABS doesnt mean you'll stop if you hit a patch of oil. the cup is fun to drive

500 Twinair
I dont understand how the insurance on a 182 is £200 more than 172 cup. Who you with?
I would go for a 172 cup. I've drove both st and st montune, not really a match on the cliosport, especially for the handling.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
buy a cup....theres other dangers on the road like oil/diesel & havin ABS doesnt mean you'll stop if you hit a patch of oil. the cup is fun to drive

Thing is all 1*2's are fun to drive... ABS WILL help someone stop quicker/safer on oil/diesel, the only way it wont make a difference is if all 4 wheels are on it in which case they would lock up as if you had normal brakes.

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
I dont understand how the insurance on a 182 is £200 more than 172 cup. Who you with?
I would go for a 172 cup. I've drove both st and st montune, not really a match on the cliosport, especially for the handling.

not with anyone at the minuite mate. im still driving the car ive got now. im looking to buy a clio sport and im getting a few quotes..i was quote best for every sport by admiral they come up very good!

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
just done a quote. a clio 182 cup only being £128 more than a normal 172. so the cup is cheaper than the normal 182 by nearly £250 lol! insurance is werid! :S what the 182 cups like anyway??

172 cup- suzu rf600r
.wen 1st got my cup it was raining and no matter how hard I broke it just didn't lock up. Neally ripped ya face off with the stopping power.. Get a cup and enjoy the car 4what it is

fucked brakes? lol

and using the gears to slow down wont f**k your gear box, more wear on the clutch ye but thats what its for.

ABS keeps you safer most of the time, it didnt put me off but i did take care and you shuld look into things like evasive braking just in case

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
fucked brakes? lol

and using the gears to slow down wont f**k your gear box, more wear on the clutch ye but thats what its for.

ABS keeps you safer most of the time, it didnt put me off but i did take care and you shuld look into things like evasive braking just in case

I think the point was using the gearbox to slow down in a simular fashion to using the brakes so hard the ABS is cutting in, not slowly coasting to traffic lights etc.

Fiesta Zetec S MK6
buy a cup.
what cup tho lol? 182 or 172? hardly any performance difference accept a slightly less 0-60 time with 172 but im not fussed because ill get that back. my cars dont stay standard for long lol! OHHH! another thing..whats the best mods for these clios sports? like best exhaust system? air filters? suspension? etcetc. dont tell me turbos and itbs please lol! we all know there good

2002 clio 172
fucked brakes? lol

ARE YOU FOR REAL PMSL,, i prefer not to slow down using the gears, i`d rather the pads wear out and replace them, sure as hell cheaper to replace pads than a clutch !!

172 cup- suzu rf600r
fucked brakes? lol

ARE YOU FOR REAL PMSL,, i prefer not to slow down using the gears, i`d rather the pads wear out and replace them, sure as hell cheaper to replace pads than a clutch !!

the wear is marginal bud, suit yourself :race:

2002 clio 172
excessive gear changing and riding the clutch i.e using them slowing down it aint going to last long, i know what suits me :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Clio is in another league to the ST my friend.

What you need to work out in your own mind is do you want toys in your car, if so get a FF 182. If your willing to swap the toys for a little more fun get a cup.
Have you driven one?

Not in the same league is a ridiculous comment. Better steering, seating, gearbox, quieter, comfier. Need I go on?

I swear sometimes people are right about cup owners. Deluded.

Westy. MX5
Have you driven one?

Not in the same league is a ridiculous comment. Better steering, seating, gearbox, quieter, comfier. Need I go on?

I swear sometimes people are right about cup owners. Deluded.

I agree mate, and more reliable but it's just----------not as much fun to drive.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
By fun you mean sliding to your death in a ball of flames?

205 gti's are fun, would you really want to own one as your daily?

I agree though the cup is a better drivers car, I would never own one.

NUFFIN IS MORE FUN, OR FASTER AROUND TEH TRAK DAN DE 172 CUP ITAKES TEH ROUNDERABOUTS FIRTY MILES AN HOUR FASTER DAN ME MATES IN DERE FIESTAS. LOL FIESTA ST IS SOOO SLOW. FORD SHOULD HAVE GAVE DEM 200BHP AND EVAN DEN DEY WUD BE SLOWER DAN MY CUP LOL LOL.

You get the idea.

BG 182 (full fat)
NUFFIN IS MORE FUN, OR FASTER AROUND TEH TRAK DAN DE 172 CUP ITAKES TEH ROUNDERABOUTS FIRTY MILES AN HOUR FASTER DAN ME MATES IN DERE FIESTAS. LOL FIESTA ST IS SOOO SLOW. FORD SHOULD HAVE GAVE DEM 200BHP AND EVAN DEN DEY WUD BE SLOWER DAN MY CUP LOL LOL.

You get the idea.

Just rofl

Youngsters these days :rolleyes:

When i learnt to drive, my car had 4 gears, no abs & no safety.

If your relying on abs to survive, you need to start looking further up the road.

My first car had all-round drum brakes. They were barely good enough to lock a wheel anyway.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
My mini had discs. Great stopping power, very easy to lock up.
Imo, abs is a useful thing to have. Excluding snow, I can't remember the last time I triggered abs. But I'd still rather have it than not.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
People must drive at 200mph towards corners then brake for their abs to kick in.

Mines wasn't even required in the snow, it would do very little anyway. If it's kicking in when you're breaking you're going too fast for the conditions, barring an accident infront of you or a child or something.

200 FF Storm Grey
my 182 cup packed has got abs and i drive it pretty hard and have only ever felt the abs actually kick in when it was icy/snowy and tbh in these times i wish id have not got abs because even when rolling at about 15mph on snow the abs just goes mental and makes it quite difficult to stop.

Agreed, feels horrible and if anything a hinderance!

182 FF
No abs is hardly a big deal-if they lock up just loose off the peddle and then reapply,thats all abs does anyway!
I was gonna get a cup but greenlight don t cover them and i couldn t be assed to swop insurance companys as greenlight are pretty competative on price for me!