ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of trading in R27 for new Clio 200 cup.... opinions?

197 F1 R27
Have a look at how much it costs you to run a second hand car over the same period. I dont mind depreciation because I know how much it will cost me each month on the interest free..... and I get a new car which is a nice thing to have.

I have enough funds to pay for the monthly payments.... where i used to get screwed was when I suddenly got a big repair bill on a second hand car at the wrong time of the month... could leave me in money trouble for months.

The depreciation isnt as bad as everyone makes out... you have to trade it off against what a second hand car costs to run and the fact that you are driving a brand spanking new car with all the benefits that gives you.

I think it's a good idea, go for it. The 200 is just such a good car and worth every penny in my opinion.

Like yourself I love my R27 and can't see the point of getting anything else. For me as an owner nothing in the price range turns as many heads or drives so well.

Bottom line is if you got the cash then go and put pen to paper as you only live once!

Next stop for me is an anthracite i.d fully packed 200 R28 F1 Team...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Should sell for 11K private no probs.
Been offered a GW200 cup, recs, ac, bs etc £14otr
Just waiting till sept to make choice;)

keep the 197 unless you love to hemorrhage money for no reason

You read any of my last 10 posts? 197 is going to cost me close to 2k servicing costs in the next year to end up with a 3 year old car with 30k miles and no warranty- so it will have lost 2-3k in trade in value.... I class that as hemorrhaging money more than giving it back to renault with no money spent on it and putting that repair cost towards an new car instead

Im considering the same thing. My bora needs new shocks this week, going to cost me a small fortune. Honda are doing good deals at present and a friend is getting a ctr gt... hmmmm (although id prefer a 200 cup)

For sure, I've also been checking out the deals on the CTR GT. That's a lot of car for £15k :cool:

I think it's a good idea, go for it. The 200 is just such a good car and worth every penny in my opinion.

Like yourself I love my R27 and can't see the point of getting anything else. For me as an owner nothing in the price range turns as many heads or drives so well.

Bottom line is if you got the cash then go and put pen to paper as you only live once!

Next stop for me is an anthracite i.d fully packed 200 R28 F1 Team...

Are you just hoping on that or is there actually news from renault about a new R28 model?

GTD, Lupo
This will help you decide :D

DSC_0373.jpg

Isnt the r28 the formula 1 car!?!?!?

Paul

Only read the first page and there are some really funny replies :D Real stupid inputs from people who clearly have no idea.

I can help you here as i own a 200 and was in the market for a new car about 2 months ago.

I had a number of cars to pick from:

500 Arbarth ss
Mini Cooper s/maybe a works
Clio 200 Cup
Corsa VXR
Punto Arbarth
Fiesta st (new one)
and a couple more

I ended up picking the 200 as it was one of the quickest if not the quickest, the best value for money and everything else was spot on.

There was no negatives apart from the fact it was a renault and the interior was a little plasticy. All the above cars had a lot of negatives. The 500 was a little too girly, the mini is ugly and a weak gearbox from past coopers put me off, the ford is slow and a little too heavy. Cant be arsed to go one but i did go out and test most of the cars and the clio out of all of them was the only one that i got excited about.

Stick to what you know and you wont be dissapointed. I gave a guy in a TVR T350 a little shock last. The 200 is a amazing car for the cash.

Paul

Pretty much agree with that mate.... Ive test driven most of the alternatives and they are no better than the 200.... and I certainly prefer the looks and price for what you get as standard

ST
Only read the first page and there are some really funny replies :D Real stupid inputs from people who clearly have no idea.

I can help you here as i own a 200 and was in the market for a new car about 2 months ago.

500 Arbarth ss
Clio 200 Cup
Corsa VXR
Punto Arbarth
Fiesta st (new one)
and a couple more

I ended up picking the 200 as it was one of the quickest if not the quickest, the best value for money and everything else was spot on.

There was no negatives apart from the fact it was a renault and the interior was a little plasticy. All the above cars had a lot of negatives. The 500 was a little too girly, the mini is ugly and a weak gearbox from past coopers put me off, the ford is slow and a little too heavy. Cant be arsed to go one but i did go out and test most of the cars and the clio out of all of them was the only one that i got excited about.

Stick to what you know and you wont be dissapointed. I gave a guy in a TVR T350 a little shock last. The 200 is a amazing car for the cash.

Paul

O RLY?

197 F1 R27
Are you just hoping on that or is there actually news from renault about a new R28 model?

Well judging by previously generations of Renault hot hatches I'm absolutely convinced Renault will build a special edition Meg and Clio.

It's got to happen, probably in the next 12 months it'll get announced so I'm gonna hold off until then. The special editions definately hold their prices better, but it's the exclusiveness of the special edition that I personally want. That's why I bought a silver 172 cup and a nimbus R27 ;)

Maybe worth considering...you could get your pads done pretty cheap and tyres you're looking at about £500-600 for all four corners.

Ph2 1.6 16v
You exchange the R27 and then pay extra for the 200. Then another 20K comes round and you ditch the 200?

I say stick with the R27 until the 200. A few new tyres and pads here and there is an expected cost when owning a car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Fiesta st (new one)
and a couple more

Paul
I'll guess the first comment was aimed at myself and Warren.
The guys says he owes no money on the R27. The garage has given you slightly higher trade but offered a cup at 17k!

I can totally see his point it's just silly imo.

Oh yeah since i've not got a clue, what is a 'new fiesta st'?

ST
I'll guess the first comment was aimed at myself and Warren.
The guys says he owes no money on the R27. The garage has given you slightly higher trade but offered a cup at 17k!

I can totally see his point it's just silly imo.

Oh yeah since i've not got a clue, what is a 'new fiesta st'?

Yeah its coming out in...oh no thats right no release date or even talk of one yet..legend..:sleepy:

GTD, Lupo
Ok same stupid coments, some people need to grow up. Didn't aim my coment at anyone. Never said I smashed or beat the t350 but the owner said he did expect to pull away a little quicker than he did, exact word was he was "shocked". As for the new fiesta I was talking about the 140 mountune one. Some people need to calm down a little and maybe try not to be so blinkered.

Paul

ST
Hi Paul, do you need a hug?

Most on here know its a bit of a wind up, sounds like you're the who needs to calm down x

M2 Competition
Ok same stupid coments, some people need to grow up. Didn't aim my coment at anyone. Never said I smashed or beat the t350 but the owner said he did expect to pull away a little quicker than he did, exact word was he was "shocked". As for the new fiesta I was talking about the 140 mountune one. Some people need to calm down a little and maybe try not to be so blinkered.

Paul

Ive had the same mate. A friend who owned a caterham r300 was surprised how well a 172 cup kept up with him on morning runs.

I can imagine the 200 is a beast through the backroads!

If only renault would let me test drive one (or had one anywhere you could test drive) i might be convinced to buy one.

Whereabouts are you located mate? Close to berkshire?

GTD, Lupo
Hi Paul, do you need a hug?

Most on here know its a bit of a wind up, sounds like you're the who needs to calm down x

I'm calm just must be the fact I'm writing on a iPhone while trying to fit an engine at the same time. Hard to express your self in a short text.

I kinda like the alan a warren show. Reminds me of pinky and the brain :p

Paul

182 Cup

500 Arbarth ss
Clio 200 Cup
Corsa VXR
Punto Arbarth
Fiesta st (new one)
and a couple more

Paul

cool_story_bro.jpg

I drove a 200 Cup on the trackday at Cadwell, yesterday and I was seriously impressed with the way it handled and the power delivery from the engine.

I could buy one now... But I won't as I don't think it's worth the £6k to change my R27 for a similar specced full fat model, which doesn't have xenons and doesn't look half as good as the 197.

The Clio 200 is a seriously good car though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Paul

you wot you wot?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sooner or later someone will put a 197 front end onto a 200, that would be lush. Not in White though, it's like the 80's all over again.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would just love to see that middle bit colour coded!

Lol at the serious thread men!

Turbo LY R27
So because you dont want to spend a 'couple' of grand wear and tear on your car the cheaper option is to 'buy' a new one:S

It would be no wear near that amount of cash anyways for pads, service and tyres. Ive just had all that done at 36k and its cost me 800!

Do it if you want but i prefere the R27's. But if you have your heart set on it which tbh it sounds like you have then do it!!

Last edited:
Get a 200, but not on cost savings, because there will be little if any money saved on getting a new one. What you're spending to maintain the R27, you're gonna pay the same for the 200. Plus you've already lost +£5K already on depreciation plus interest on loan and you want to do that again with the 200? At the end of a typical 3 year loan term on the 200, you'd have lost over £10k on depreciation + interest on 2 cars. Like I said, buy the 200 if you really want one, but don't kid yourself that you'll save money buying a new car!!