ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tiff Needell..What does he know

To think i waited all day to watch that sh**e.Knew the Type R would be better on the track,but how often do we all drive on tracks?
Throw in some bumpy twisties and its all over for the CTR.
Plus hes got a girls name!

I feel he was a little bit biased towards the civic, and he took that last corner so badly in the clio, and he calls himself a race drive....... pah

Yaris Hybrid

As I said in the other thread. The laptime is fine and completely predictable. I have no reason to doubt the integrety of the lap time.

The dodgy issue was the narrative which didnt really do much for the CTR as most people know that what was said about the steering was false and so this brings in to question the laptime - which as I said is legit.

Renaultsport 220T

Tiffs bio - How many wins?

Name: Tiff Needell
Nationality: Great Britain
Date of birth: October 29, 1951 - Havant, Hampshire
Needell started his career by winning a Formula Ford Lotus 69F in a competition run by Autosport magazine at the start of 1971. He was refused a super license by the sports governing body FISA in 1979 when he was offered a drive in the Formula 1 Ensign - it went to Patrick Gaillard in the end - but he drove for the team in the 1980 Belgian Grand Prix. Unable to get a drive in F1 after that Needell went into sports car racing, driving various Group C cars including the Nimrod-Aston Martin, Dome and TOMS Toyota. He finished third at Le Mans in 1990 with the Alpha Porsche 962. There followed a period in touring cars with Vauxhall and Nissan in the BTCC. This was followed by a drive with Lister sports cars.

Says it all really LOL

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 09 May 2005
As I said in the other thread. The laptime is fine and completely predictable. I have no reason to doubt the integrety of the lap time.The dodgy issue was the narrative which didnt really do much for the CTR as most people know that what was said about the steering was false and so this brings in to question the laptime - which as I said is legit.

the clio has beaten the ctr around many a track (including top gear track driven by someone who is not swayed either way) so why is the lap time fair?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

LMAO at this thread.

Seems the Clio isnt the be all and end all of automotive transport after all. Damn!

he can drive!!!!!, the sh$t he does on telly is all pantomine, but ive been round oulton park in the passenger seat after the cameras stops so does the messing around, shell hairpin in an evo 5 when they were new at a speed that seemed inconceivable and such control and he is so relaxed!!

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 09 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 09 May 2005

As I said in the other thread. The laptime is fine and completely predictable. I have no reason to doubt the integrety of the lap time.

The dodgy issue was the narrative which didnt really do much for the CTR as most people know that what was said about the steering was false and so this brings in to question the laptime - which as I said is legit.

the clio has beaten the ctr around many a track (including top gear track driven by someone who is not swayed either way) so why is the lap time fair?
It beat the old CTR around the Top Gear track. They tested the new CTR later when it was up against the Golf, LCR and Mini if I remember correctly and it was a few tenths quicker than the 182.

So yes the laptime is fair and consistent. The 182 beat the 01 to 03 CTRs laptime so whats the problem?

R

rich[182]

The problem was that 1 sub minute lap on a circuit like that does not reflect real world driving, they should pit the cars in several scenarios that your average punter is gonna find themselves in, hows about side by side comparison booting from say 20mph or 40mph up through the gears etc, track times in particular tonight only paint one picture and its one that most owners will not EVER be in, theres no way Id throw mine through corners like that on the public highway as unlike tonight where youve the safety factor of simply going on the grass in the real world your gonna end up with a brick wall through your head or a lamp post up your arse

LY 200

Quote: Originally posted by Nick nets on 09 May 2005

To think i waited all day to watch that sh**e.Knew the Type R would be better on the track,but how often do we all drive on tracks?
Lol has Tiff hit a nerve!?!?!;)

Hes tellin the truth, i mean common we see it with our own eyes.......Its proven the Type R is the better hatch!!!

R

rich[182]

Id have still thought the same if the clio had one, the fact it lost I dont care about, it was the meaningless choice of test and general lack of info that sucked donkeys

Lionel Richie

The main thing that let the 182 down was it wasnt a Yozzasport car!! It wouldve outrun an enzo if had been to us (well kinda)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 09 May 2005

Lol has Tiff hit a nerve!!!;)

Hes tellin the truth, i mean common we see it with our own eyes.......Its proven the Type R is the better hatch!!!

The show tonight meant sod all to me....however where is the proof you spoke about that the Ctr is the better hatch ?

Not from most of the reviews i own from car mags etc ?

Not that it matters anyway because its down to what you want and what you like,just interested where this " Proof" is that the Ctr is the better hatch you mentioned ?

LY 200

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 09 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 09 May 2005

Lol has Tiff hit a nerve!!!;)

The show tonight meant sod all to me....however where is the proof you spoke about that the Ctr is the better hatch ?

Not from most of the reviews i own from car mags etc ?

Not that it matters anyway because its down to what you want and what you like,just interested where this " Proof" is that the Ctr is the better hatch you mentioned ?
It was on BBC2 just over an hour ago!!!;)

As for colours Jay id rather a gunmetal CTR over any 182 colour but each to there own!!!

No it wasnt i meant 5 (my dad called me in to watch it) lol!!!

[Edited by JayR on 09 May 2005 at 9:34pm]

BMW 120i Sport

man, it was two tenths - two tenths of a second in it. Get over it, two tenths is feck all, Tiff might have changed too soon, or maybe scratched his b****cks mid bend - who cares! TWO TENTHS!

I wouldnt say "x is better than y". Two great cars, great performance, great handling. The 182 is cheaper, so i bought one. The end.

Kinda thought Tiff arsed that last corner though. Didnt anyone hear the bit at the end? "lapped faster than the boxter and Focus RS". Ill be bringing that up in the pub.

[Edited by Big G on 5/9/2005 9:35:54 PM]

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah come on guys. You saved £4k on the cost of buying the car so instead of sitting here moaning about 2 tenths you should be on a beach in the tropics drinking cocktails with spare change.

I couldnt give a monkeys about 2 tenths, I have £4k more towards the deposit on a house. I need that more than 2 tenths that I would never use anyway.

I knew the CTR was the better car when I ordered the 182 but my decision was based on the above rational thinking. You pays your money....

One point though, at £16k the CTR tested didnt have AC, lol I reckon that would add 2 tenths!

P

peterh2

Different cars, different price brackets, CTR is quicker round a track, both great fun, take your pick, Im happy with my choice :D

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by 182WRC on 09 May 2005

Tiffs bio - How many wins?

Name: Tiff Needell
Nationality: Great Britain
Date of birth: October 29, 1951 - Havant, Hampshire
Needell started his career by winning a Formula Ford Lotus 69F in a competition run by Autosport magazine at the start of 1971. He was refused a super license by the sports governing body FISA in 1979 when he was offered a drive in the Formula 1 Ensign - it went to Patrick Gaillard in the end - but he drove for the team in the 1980 Belgian Grand Prix. Unable to get a drive in F1 after that Needell went into sports car racing, driving various Group C cars including the Nimrod-Aston Martin, Dome and TOMS Toyota. He finished third at Le Mans in 1990 with the Alpha Porsche 962. There followed a period in touring cars with Vauxhall and Nissan in the BTCC. This was followed by a drive with Lister sports cars.

Says it all really LOL
that is a hell of a lot more than many other race drivers ever achieve!

he is a very good driver, 3rd at Le Mans is an achievement in itself, he didnt get the breaks in F1 but only 0.005% of drivers ever do

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Buying the 182 and saving money over a Ctr didnt actually mean in my case i had the difference to splash out on holidays or cocktails :D

Maybe if i was given X amount and was allowed to keep the change maybe...but sadly that wasnt the case :p

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 09 May 2005

Buying the 182 and saving money over a Ctr didnt actually mean in my case i had the difference to splash out on holidays or cocktails :D

Maybe if i was given X amount and was allowed to keep the change maybe...but sadly that wasnt the case :p
Yeah I had just enough money to get the CTR although I was going to skip on the AC. So to me I could physically see the £4k that I was going shell out and although my heart wanted the CTR, my head said 182. I just couldnt pay £4k more for a slightly better car with less toys. Had there not been such massive discounts available on the 182 then it would have been a no-brainer in favour of the CTR.

BMW 120i Sport

182 + £4k change + GDI/AWT = a lot quicker than the CTR

^^ if anyone is that bothered enough ;)

the clio may be 4k cheaper but the depreciation will be drastic and in 3 years time youll get about 6k for it. the clios a big girls car anyway, the ctr is far superior

Octavia VRS

I think both cars are great, for the money the Clio is a great bargain.

If I had the money I would probably get the Type R, however Tiff said the Clio is a 14.5k hatch. In reality, people have picked up 182s for 12k and that is one hell of a bargain and this is still the car I am wanting and saving for ;)

Suzuki SV1000S

hehe was wondering how many peeps would be upset. Just remember how much better your clios look!

Also have any of you actually ever been beaten by a CTR, I have never come across one on the twisties, but I have always beaten them in a straight line on the motorway.

Also dont forget you can get good and bad engines with the clios, matbe he got a bad one! lol

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by ctr123 on 09 May 2005

the clio may be 4k cheaper but the depreciation will be drastic and in 3 years time youll get about 6k for it. the clios a big girls car anyway, the ctr is far superior
Do you know how to calculate depreciation?

The Clio is £4k cheaper because of the discounts available on the list price. You have been calculating depreciation based on the list price NOT the discounted price.

Do the math again but based on discounted price and in terms of how many thousands of pounds the first owner loses. The Clio loses less than a CTR.

Revels Mum & Sister

heheh Lots of bitter people

And for the ones dissing his driving, he is a pretty accomplished driver, like was said before watch or be in the car when he is driving off camera and thats when he shines. TV has to be pantomime else no one would watch it.

I would PERSONALLY go for the CTR over the 182, as I think its a better all round car

Not a Clio

lol its only a car.

Personally id go for a CTR over a 182, prefer the looks.

My dads bigger than your dad!

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 09 May 2005
182 + £4k change + GDI/AWT = a lot quicker than the CTR

^^ if anyone is that bothered enough ;)

not exactly a like for like comparison though?

You could get a 2nd hand CTR for 12k and supercharge it for 4k = 300+ at the wheels

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by _simon_ on 09 May 2005

lol its only a car.

Personally id go for a CTR over a 182, prefer the looks.

My dads bigger than your dad!
Totally agree, would definitely for a CTR over a 182 on the looks alone.

But I wouldnt go for a CTR over a 182+£4k even if the 182 looked like Morris Minor!