ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

time for new ones again...did i get conned?

checked the tyres on the 182 today after a wee sliding incident last nite round a roundabout...

oops...practically illegal...

went to cosco for new tyres usual PE2 crap...but they had a 4 week waiting list...wtf?

had to settle for same tyres but with the higher speed rating (w)...100quid fitted...

what will this benefit me..? hopefully they will last longer than the (v) rating.????

or was it a wast of an extra 25pound and 4 week wait..?

BMW M3
I bought some of the PE2s of www.mytyres.co.uk the other day and they were the W speed rating. Only a couple of quid more... Also went to costco but when i asked how long it would take to get shipped in, the guy looked at me as if i'd asked him to give me the value of pi to 20 decimal places and then said "how longs a piece of string".... Moron!!!

Dont really know the difference between the two but one is a stronger compound or something for higher speed.

U/R 200
Justin182 said:
I bought some of the PE2s of www.mytyres.co.uk the other day and they were the W speed rating. Only a couple of quid more... Also went to costco but when i asked how long it would take to get shipped in, the guy looked at me as if i'd asked him to give me the value of pi to 20 decimal places and then said "how longs a piece of string".... Moron!!!

Dont really know the difference between the two but one is a stronger compound or something for higher speed.

"how longs a piece of string".... From the middle to the end doubled!

I think I'll settle for W thanks. Only a few squids more.

PS. I dont think it's the compound. It's the rating of the tyre casing - flexing as it compresses and un-compresses with each revolution.

If you imagine the bottom of the tyre when it's sat on your drive - it's compressed heavily right? Well the casing has to be able to go from this to normal a lot more times per second as the speed increases. That 'compressed' section has to effectively 'roll' around the circumference of the tyre and this generates stress and heat within the tyre structure.

ah well, thought(hoped) they would have a longer lifespan than the other ones...being made out of 168mph rubber..!!!

as for going at 168mph in the clio...better chance of seeing 168mpg on the trip computer...

would have waited for the v's...
but after last winter with near bald tyres...(never try that one again), i think id be safer with a new set on....

Shhh
Bought 2 PE02's V rating for £93 fitted each from Kwik Fit....nice..

Also, speed rating....

Imagine driving round the local asda car park, to turn the car left you put turn the steering wheel left, for you to turn one wheel needs to speed up, one wheel needs to slow down. So if at 10mph, the left wheel may speed up to 15mph, and the right slow to 5mph whilst you turn. Imagine now driving along the motorway at 140mph and you change lanes rather sharp, that left wheel could reach 150mph easily and this is what you need to remember when driving...

One wheel has to speed up, one slows down to turn. Ensure the speed rating is there for your use's.....ie....no sharp turns at 120mph +...