ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The least original Iceberg 172 ever! (Plenty of pics)

How do you rate the ebay cage mate? Feet and fixings look a little small in the pics?
Car looks very well by the way, lovely colour.
I'm really happy for the money. They are reasonably sized IMO. Not MSA or anything, but OK.

Car is "race car spec". Looks great from a distance or in pictures, quite tatty up close :p.

Are you selling your rear strut brace at all Haz?

Nah, I need it to hold my shopping. :D

I want to know of the handling has improved with the cage. Noticeably that is.

Back end is definitely a little tighter, with the insane front grip from the roll center kit, the RARB, Strut brace and cage, the back can get loose, but very predictably. No track time yet, but will be heading over Curby soon so will be able to compare with both feelings and hopefully some numbers!

Also how you are running seatbelts with buckets?

I have side mounts which fit on the original rails, and hold the pre-tensioner in place. I might try @dann2707 's harnesses soon and if they are OK I'm starting to think it's the way forward... we shall see.

Is the dash airbag light on as well?

Yeah, but not because of the seats, they have resistors in to stop that. I ripped the wires off the squib when I was getting angry fitting the new wheel, so I can't actually attach resistors there. I'm hoping I will be able to arrange someone to turn them all off soon.

Got a call today to say the wheels are refurbed, will be picking them up tomorrow. :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I think you'll be hooked after trying to harnesses mate. The car feels like a completely different animal now.

I was saying to matty yesterday on that Whitby run that i'd be so disappointed if I only fitted the buckets with no harness and it'd almost seem pointless. The amount of confidence it's given me so far for corners is mindblowing and a little scary.

Did an oil change today, car is running very nicely. Also replaced the ABS sensor which was giving me dash lights, so that's gone for now.

Also, think my clutch might be on it's way out. When the front of the car is in the air, engine running but in neutral, the front wheels spin. Could that be a sign that my clutch is out of adjustment or just dying? Also a very strange sound from the gearbox while this was happening, will try and get a video at some point.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Nice work on the car, it sits really well, looking great compared to how it first looked. Much inspiration from this thread, will be following :smile:

BTW, re clutch: mine did that last week when I had it in the air. I turned it over after doing the aux belt and oil to check all was ok, noticed the discs rotating. Think its normal, I hope, my clutch feels good anyway!

Maybe someone will be along to confirm...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wheels spinning with the car in the air is normal. The noise your hearing is just the gears in the gearbox making noise because they're being turned by the gearbox input shaft. It's perfectly normal so I wouldn't worry about it.

Checked the clutch today by hoofing it from 2000RPM in 5th, no slippage, so assume all is well.

Bought a RS tuner with all the trimmings , so will be mapped and airbag and ABS all sorted soon.

New tyres for my daily wheels are needed too, think I'll stick with the Pirellis if I can find them at a good price.

You're an interesting update!

I'll jinx it by saying this... but the car is perfect at the moment.
Doesn't need any maintenance, and I don't want to upgrade or change anything at the moment.
All that remains is to book some track days!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You're an interesting update!

I'll jinx it by saying this... but the car is perfect at the moment.
Doesn't need any maintenance, and I don't want to upgrade or change anything at the moment.
All that remains is to book some track days!
Thank you? I think haha

Glad to hear you're loving it mate, I can be thankful to you as you originally gave a pretty inspiring post to get one a while back on TF if you remember?

Did the shorter reach gear mod the other day did you see? Hows yours look in comparison?

Just had a peek, you've got a new knob! That looks much better though, far more comfortable position. :up:

Mine's not so far back, I only took the link down by 10mm, but I'm tempted to go 10 more. Certainly feels a lot better. I lubed up my Yanoo kit and tightened it up as well and it feels really good.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a peek, you've got a new knob! That looks much better though, far more comfortable position. :up:

Mine's not so far back, I only took the link down by 10mm, but I'm tempted to go 10 more. Certainly feels a lot better. I lubed up my Yanoo kit and tightened it up as well and it feels really good.
I have! It was only £13 delivered and feels so much better. That reminds me I need to sell this one cheers! Well you know about my small arms so it all helps.

I wouldn't go too far like me as now you sort of have to arc it into gear, imagine the Mcdonalds sign, follow that with the gearstick movement. Luckily I can lengthen it a tad no worries.

Out of interest, if you remember getting the metal insert for the gearbox side of things with the Yanoo? You can only fit it to certain gearboxes if it came with a certain part I was just wondering if you fitted that or couldn't due to having the updated design like me.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh that's gay. I've just ordered the right type of filtration module so I can actually fit that part as for some reason i've beasted through two of those bushes in a year giving me horrendous play left and right when in gear.

Car has been fine, but needed bits doing. Changed the gearbox oil and that feels nicer, although maybe placebo as I'm, sure I saw liquidized syncro pour from the box...

I've also suffered a bit ofsttering wheel wobble at 60mph+, and couldn't work out if was an out of balance wheel or if it was a tracking issue, so I went to Wheels in Motion in Chesham and they sorted it out. They were a massive help, were happy to work on the car, and let me wander around their premises to check out the car while it was on their ramps, something you don't often get from a garage. Most importantly, they fixed it and it feels great at speed again. Would recommend massively.

So on the lasers...
iVm7ZMJ.jpg

New settings, the old ones weren't far off, but sorting out the toe and a bit more camber seemed like a good way to go.
Tiz1zwL.jpg

In exciting news, I'm off to Curborough on Tuesday for a neat little sprint day with the same guys as last time, looking to put the coilies and roll centre through it's tracks. It also made me realise that I never showed the outcome of my wheel refurb, as they've been sat in my boiler cupboard since summer last year!

So here's the stack of rubber, and the new rims!
fmnMAUj.jpg
jik8x7k.jpg

I'm excited.

Two posts in one!
First track piccies from Curborough. Car was ace, track was ace, other people were ace! Not much else to say, except I need more time on track to keep up with @dann2707
D0ypiOH.jpg

wOg03TH.jpg

vvurt37.jpg

J9Ux4Uf.jpg

cZnadnT.jpg

PYw5DAH.jpg

ESjnoRh.jpg

CrdpPrN.jpg

NnMvGeq.jpg

But also, I tried Dann's @JON FOZ seat mounts and was super impressed, so I bought some.
So first was to remove the old mounts, which were good, but still sat quite high.
zwSJKj5.jpg

And while I was in there I replaced the bolts on the cage because I wasn't happy with the quality, so I took a bunch of the interior out to do that...
kuJrYjf.jpg

Then back to the mounts, took some chunks out of the carpet so the mounts sat perfectly flush.
3bUxds0.jpg

Then fit the mounts.
K9J4Pgh.jpg

And with all the standard belts removed, I put in the 3 point Schroth harnesses I had from when I bought the seats. They aren't my favourite harnesses ever, but will do the job 'til I find a nicer set.
MnuEKuJ.jpg
sHzCw0G.jpg

Car passed it's MOT first time, 3 advisories!
- Damaged inner CV, but still functioning.
- Front tyres worn on the inner.
- Front brake pads low.

Next updates will be getting that sorted, plus some other general maintenance, plus hopefully something fruity in the way of modification.

The car has been in my ownership for 5 years now, a lot has changed, but as the belts are due and a it needs a lot of other work doing, it's time for some new bits!
Fs5rpHw.jpg

Fatty's induction set up - no louder than normal up to 3k rpm, comes alive after that!
pd0t1bg.jpg

So early in the new year, all this lot is going in;
- Cat Cam 438s
- Forge coolant hoses and clamps
- Replacement gearbox - complete with new seals, and most importantly, a Quaife LSD along with Redline MTL oil
- TTV Lightweight Flywheel & new Renault flywheel bolts
- 200 cell sports cat & genuine cat fitting kit - I bailed on fitting a decat a few years back, as I really don't like the effort of switching out a decat come MOT time or the smell when it's installed, hoping this will be reasonable comprimise, allbeit an expensive one.
- DS2500 pads

All being fitted at the same time as I have all new belts, dephaser, oil, coolant and filter changes, along with further investigation to the oil leak I've been plagued with for years.

Now I just need to get more track days booked in for 2017!

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
Good pile of parts there, should keep you busy over the winter months :grinning:

Put the new brake pads in yesterday, and polished the headlights again, it's looking good!
RIpBojb.jpg

HVsfmvT.jpg

The drivers side drive shaft is knackered, both CVs are torn and the support bearing looks like this...
ONXsr2H.jpg

So think I'll need to replace all that as well, which will be fun.
Also now pretty sure that there is play in my steering rack, or column, all the trackrods etc are still in great condition, and the roll centre bearings still holding up.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Just went through this whole thread, top work!

With regards to J&R me and a few mates have used them on our Civics and they have been fine, can't complain for the price.

Current plan is to put them on, and keep the old ones around, and if they go tits up, I'll get the OEMs refurbished.

Dropped the car off with Dan @ SJM this morning for all the above to be fitted. With any luck, I will be picking it up later this week.

Had the car just over 5 years now a, and as I can't actually keep track of all the bits of I've done or had done done to it myself, I thought I'd throw up a fashionable spec list!

So, no pics in this post, sorry...

Engine
- Cat Cams 438 cams
- TTV Lightened Flywheel
- ARP Rod bolts
- 'Fatty' induction kit
- NGK Plugs
- Forge Coolant Hoses
- Vibratechnics Solid Engine Mounts
- Powerflex Dogbone Mount
- ELF 10w40 Fully Synthetic Oil

Exhaust
- Piper 2.25" exhaust with 3.5" Recessed Pipe
- KTEC 200 Cell Sport Cat

Drivetrain
- Quaife Low Slip Differential
- Redline MTL Gearbox oil
- J&R replacement shafts
- Yanoo Stiff Shift 3.0 built onto Scenic Shifter, with brass bushings, etc

Suspension
- Bilstein B14s
- Roll Centre & Bump Steer Correction Kit
- Pure Motorsport Top Mounts and Front Strut Brace
- OMP Rear Strut Brace
- Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar
- Powerflex Black Wishbone Bushes
- Powerflex Anti Roll Bar Bushes

Brakes
- Goodridge Braded Hoses Front and Rear
- Ferrodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads
- Brembo Front Rotors
- Mintex OEM Rear Brake Pads
- OEM Rear Rotors
- ATE Brake Fluid

Wheels
- Trophy Turinis on Pirelli PZero Nero GTs
- OZ Superturismos on soft Nankang NS2Rs
- 10mm Spacers all round
- Pure Motorsport Stud Conversion Kit
- TPI Wheel Nuts

Exterior
- Cup Spoiler
- Fabia Splitter
- 197 Rear Badge
- Smaller Front Plate and Clean Rear Plate
- Front and Rear Badges Sprayed Satin Black
- Front Grills and Fog Surrounds sprayed Satin Black
- Front Headlight Washer Delete with Carbon Blanks
- Aerocatched Bonnet and Front Bumper

Interior
- Removed Rear Seats and Belts
- Ebay Special Half Roll Cage in Satin Black
- Recaro Pole Position Seats - Re-upholstered in Mk2 Golf GTI Ultraviolet Material
- JONFOZ Super Low Subframes
- Schroth 3 Point Harnesses
- OMP Targa 330mm Steering Wheel
- Momo Steering Wheel Adaptor
- Richbrook Polished 'Knob
- Custom Gearstick Gaiter

Current to do list includes;
- New rear disks and pads
- Remove front fogs, carbon canister and install brake ducts
- Get the multimeter out and wire in some new resistors for the airbag lights which have popped up again
- Find and fit some nicer harnesses as I'm not a huge fan of the 3 points

That's about it, all that's left is to recover the money I've spent on all these shenanigans and get down to the track! Also will be heading over to the South Central Rolling Road day for a pull or two, to get a before and after of the cams.

Side note - Would a mod be able to change the title to "Debusetti's Iceberg 172", I feel like it's actually pretty different these days, hahaha

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
How do you rate the J&R shafts mate? Great spec by the way. Hopefully bump into you on track at some point (not literally!).

It's pulled 183bhp and 170bhp before at SRR, so I would say it's above average?

Hoping to break 190bhp, but might be optimistic, most people I've seen with 438s that have broken the 190bhp mark have matched inlets, a decat, and AC deletes etc. But I have standard inlets, a sports cat, and AC intact!

Ultimately, it feels good to drive, and revving to 7800rpm is awesome, so I'm very happy.