ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Trophy - #455

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Good news about the beemer warranty :up:

Trophy is looking good as ever. Try Greenlight for insurance mate
Cheers George!

Signed back up with Greenlight over the weekend - such a competitive price, excellent levels of service, and really friendly, knowledgeable staff too. Makes me wonder why I left them in the first place.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Cheers George!

Signed back up with Greenlight over the weekend - such a competitive price, excellent levels of service, and really friendly, knowledgeable staff too. Makes me wonder why I left them in the first place.

Can only echo that Tim, very happy with them aswel

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Cracking car Tim! The 2118's really do look good on the Trophy. But I would say that! where did you get those Renault sport mats from? My Trophy has a set from the previous owner but they aren't in great condition.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Cracking car Tim! The 2118's really do look good on the Trophy. But I would say that! where did you get those Renault sport mats from? My Trophy has a set from the previous owner but they aren't in great condition.
Cheers Rob, I'm now on the lookout for some anthracite 2118s - I want to try something different (for me)...

I picked up my mats from Renault Wolverhampton - the trader on here. They were much needed at the time!!!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Rob, I'm now on the lookout for some anthracite 2118s - I want to try something different (for me)...

I picked up my mats from Renault Wolverhampton - the trader on here. They were much needed at the time!!!
Thanks mate, I will have a look! The white against red does look fantastic! But the anthracite is a more subtle combo. Both look great IMO

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
April 2015

The Trophy has put on very few miles since late last year, mainly owing to the outstanding performance of the 330i Touring, but now the sun is coming out it's time to get back in the Clio! Oh, and the fact that the BMW has been sold.

It was an impulse buy - I already had the Clio and my other half has her Focus to ferry my daughter around in. I walk to work too, so 3 cars between 2 was an unnecessary extravagance so I decided to sell up. I'm pleased it's staying on the forum, it was a bloody good car that excelled at everything... Everything except hustling down a windy B road at 65 leptons.

If I wasn't so attached to the Trophy then the 3er would have stayed and the Clio would now be elsewhere, but maybe one day I'll own it again. I was surprised how much I missed it a day after it left.

Anyway, the Trophy has recently had it's usual service courtesy of MWM, and remains in rude health. It's got another year on its MOT and I'm really looking forward to this summer and driving it in anger again.

Before that, there's been a few purchases... Thanks to Gus @optical for the demo, I've purchased an Alpine SWE-1200 underseat subwoofer. Music is pretty important and the setup in the Trophy needed a little more bass. Of course, I'm not expecting the kind of sub-bass you get from twin 15in cones, but the mids just needed a bit of freeing up with lower frequencies.

image.jpg

The next purchase is a set of 2118s. Detail My Car in a Newbury (@nickg123 ) are now an authorised Speedline dealer so sourced me an anthracite set.

image.jpg

The white ones have sold so I'll get the tyres swapped over ASAP ready for a new look this summer - sticking with the awesome AD08Rs. The new wheels have already been treated to a couple of coats of DLUX and are ready.

image.jpg

A few plans are in the pipeline for the coming few months. First up is the Spring Action Day at Castle Combe - thanks @Brian, ticket received with thanks.

image.jpg

After that it's a Welsh Weekender with a few South Central friends in May, then there'll be my first CSS in August and another weekend in Wales after that.

To celebrate the Trophy being 10 years old I'm organising a driving weekend in Wales on ClioTrophy.co.uk - 11th/12th/13th September. The plan is to get as many Trophys together on roads they were built for. Can't wait.

So that's where we are, I'll be making a concerted effort to post more photos in future, starting with the new wheels once they're fitted.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm after some advice... I'm not enjoying driving the Trophy as much as I used to and it's all because of the reluctance to engage third when downshifting from fourth. It just refuses to engage, but with a little bit more pressure it alway goes in at the second time of asking. It only happens once every ten times but when it does it really spoils the flow, and when it doesn't I'm half expecting it to.

No reason why I couldn't keep driving it like this for a year or two, but that's not what this car is about - I want maximum enjoyment and I'm not getting it. So what are the options...?

Simple choice - get the box out, get it checked over and refurbed where necessary. Agency Transmissions are oft-mentioned, but who else is there, or are they the only people worth their salt in the UK?

Added twist? While it's out wouldn't it make sense to add a Quaife? I know it rarely sees the track but it's a mod I've been thinking about for some time - are there any drawbacks?

And while we're at it let's talk about a Pure Motorsport shifter at the same time. Why not? The noise. But the benefits surely outweigh the drawbacks, right?

The only other thing to mention is that in the next 9 months I'll be getting the belts etc done, MWM timing and map, a few bits in the engine bay powdercoated, and replace dephaser (?), water pump (?), power steering pump (?) etc etc etc, so already guaranteed a big bill soon-ish.

In summary then, the box is pissing me off and needs sorting on way or another. Do I take the opportunity and go the whole hog, or is it just not worth it?

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
Car looks spot on mate.

As for the box if you're not happy then have it looked over, a quaife would be and amazing upgrade even off the track and as you're spending big money anyways why not add a few more penny's into the mix.

Or save that money for something else that you've had on your mind as the box with the refresh may be enjoyable all over again.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'm after some advice... I'm not enjoying driving the Trophy as much as I used to and it's all because of the reluctance to engage third when downshifting from fourth. It just refuses to engage, but with a little bit more pressure it alway goes in at the second time of asking. It only happens once every ten times but when it does it really spoils the flow, and when it doesn't I'm half expecting it to.

No reason why I couldn't keep driving it like this for a year or two, but that's not what this car is about - I want maximum enjoyment and I'm not getting it. So what are the options...?

Simple choice - get the box out, get it checked over and refurbed where necessary. Agency Transmissions are oft-mentioned, but who else is there, or are they the only people worth their salt in the UK?

Added twist? While it's out wouldn't it make sense to add a Quaife? I know it rarely sees the track but it's a mod I've been thinking about for some time - are there any drawbacks?

And while we're at it let's talk about a Pure Motorsport shifter at the same time. Why not? The noise. But the benefits surely outweigh the drawbacks, right?

The only other thing to mention is that in the next 9 months I'll be getting the belts etc done, MWM timing and map, a few bits in the engine bay powdercoated, and replace dephaser (?), water pump (?), power steering pump (?) etc etc etc, so already guaranteed a big bill soon-ish.

In summary then, the box is pissing me off and needs sorting on way or another. Do I take the opportunity and go the whole hog, or is it just not worth it?

My advice bud;

- It is one of, if not the best, Trophys I know. A diff will add to this.

- get it over to mine, we can get the box out over a weekend with a few others (@Scrooge, @Rob and @Budgie) and it can sit in the garage whilst the box is sent off for a refurb and Quaife. Then refit, and off to Mike for the belts etc. I have modded mine now quite significantly and I stand by the best mod on these is a diff.

- before you do the above, you're welcome to drive mine with both diff and PMS shifter, help make your mind up :wink:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Get it over to mine, we can get the box out over a weekend with a few others (@Scrooge, @Rob and @Budgie) and it can sit in the garage whilst the box is sent off for a refurb and Quaife. Then refit, and off to Mike for the belts etc
Thanks for the advice, and the offer too. My only problem with this approach is I have little interest in getting my hands dirty - I have no natural aptitude for the mechanical side of things so it's better for everyone if I stay away and stick to spreadsheets ;) and I wouldn't really feel comfortable with people putting all the effort in while I just stood around and watched. It's one to keep on the back-burner though, thanks mate.

Before you do the above, you're welcome to drive mine with both diff and PMS shifter, help make your mind up :wink:
No way I'm turning that offer down! Cheers chief!
Gearbox repair required? Diff fitting required? I'm available for both. Just sayin.
I'm glad you've made an appearance - saves me sending you another PM. What would be the most agreeable terms for you, Mark? I get the box sent up to you along with a holdall full of money and you'll source the diff, refurb the box, fit it all together and send it back to me? Probably easier than me driving the car to you and waiting lol, or you coming down to Cubbington Fields for however long it would take.

What would you do in my situation?

Nope! I'm never around to drive a car so at the moment it's a little bit silly if I buy one. Maybe I'm growing up :grimacing:. But if the right one pops... Or maybe Tim will sell up soon.
I can't see me getting rid of this car for another couple of years at the earliest, I guess it depends if any other little ones make an appearance, but if you're pressing me for a price then for £15k it's yours, and even if you bowled up with the cash I probably still wouldn't let it go. It's not really that sentimental it's just very good at what it does and I wouldn't know what to replace it with.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm glad you've made an appearance - saves me sending you another PM. What would be the most agreeable terms for you, Mark? I get the box sent up to you along with a holdall full of money and you'll source the diff, refurb the box, fit it all together and send it back to me? Probably easier than me driving the car to you and waiting lol, or you coming down to Cubbington Fields for however long it would take.

What would you do in my situation?

Well the first option sounds the better one to me really. You've got somewhere on offer where you can remove the box and keep the car at whilst the box is away for a refresh. Regards the diff, it all comes down to how you drive it really. I've only got one fitted in my cup now because I got it at sensible money and I'll have more hp, but I never felt like the car was in dire need of a diff on track or road before that. Maybe that's just my driving style - who knows.

For obvious reasons though, if your wanting a diff now is the time to get one fitted. Quaifes are a complete fit and forget package as well, so no need to remove and strip the box to send the diff off for a service.