ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Nice legs ;)

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

those boots have seen active service I'll have you know......the shorts have sailed the Atlantic.....

Yes good Holiday, went to a place called La Terriere 13 days on a different beach of sorts the 14th day went canoeing and karting (Scarlett had to sit out, too young). Cycled every where about 60miles\100km's over the two weeks (Scarlett too, for 5 did well, managed 18 miles in a day to a beach and back).

All nice and brown - now back to the daily grind.....

Last edited:
Ah yes, I did wonder who had been sitting in my seat.......had a bit of a play. All ok?? lol. Hopefully all's fine, might join you on your Wednesday testing to give it a run before the day to make sure alls sorted, this week or next, PM, AM?

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes Pete, Jay will there.

I asked her about the booking ref no, and she laughed and said, if she told me how it works, she'd have to kill me lol.

Got in from work at 6pm and just now finished 21:30 getting the Cup sorted and ready for tomorrow (now too dark to do anything) - hate being rushed and think I've bound to have missed something and Sam said she finally couldn't get the time off work too so I'm all alone tomorrow, never been on my own. Have to do all the jobs myself :S. Sam's made me lunch\snack bag to take too :eek:.

Fingers crossed the Cup goes OK and doesn't start messing around or I will strip out every bit of wire and start over......(maybe)!

Just back from testing at Mallory Park, what a day it was too. Tony, Jay and Mark(123) were there so three Clio's all in all. All three cars ran ok mine included, no electrical bugs or anything, Dan (519) worked his stuff and fingers crossed that's our electrical troubles put behind us now. However the Burpspeed guys need a lesson on how to read a tyre gauge-huh?!

Will will put a write up later, though my fastest lap was a mind blowing 55.76 secs- he he...get some!

Lol, I forgot to mention that.

Hope you told Sam off.

EFA

Mines in the wash now. You sweaty, sweaty man

Don't sweat much for a fat bloke do I? gave it a rub in a special place too.....

I bet Sam wouldn't forget her racesuit, (wait for it).

She did say when I mentioned it that she wouldn't have taken hers too.....I didn't read all the info and was in track day mode when getting stuff out...won't need that, drop.

You've got me thinking about that cycle race picture in the cafe again now...

Me, naked in the middle...yeah.....

Glad you guys all had a good morning :) Looking forward to watching you all race at Mallory! Cars looking great Pete I like the silver stripe

I told you it was dodgy at Llandow :butt:

Cheers James...pity your car won't be ready in time to be there too.

Funny you should mention the stripe it looked a brighter sliver when I bought the roll but on the car looks a bit dark - would've prefered a really bright silver though. I keep getting told black would be better. It's on, performs a fuction (hole filler) and has obviously worked, does what it says on the tin, as I did buy a "go faster stripe".

Think guage was 8psi over reading - :(

Last edited:
Had a bit of a team chat tonight what with the Mallory race a week away, Sam's worried about the start....pity she missed the test day (been watching the video's and my 55.75 sec lap, not made her feel any better).

Anyway, sorted out that I'll do the minimum 3 laps I need to do first and leave the rest of the session to Sam, hopefully as the racing is over 2 days there'll be the full 30 mins of qualifying available leaving Sam 25 mins to find her feet and get to grips with the track again.

If it turned out I qualified us mid grid, think that would probably ruin her day......I'll just warm the car up and let her do the rest.

Cup In bits
Have been lurcking on this thread mate, glad to see you got rid of your electrical gremlins, do you have and vids of your test day?

Hope the race goes good for you's, I need a women that would go racing with me and do well, lucky man lol.

Have been lurcking on this thread mate, glad to see you got rid of your electrical gremlins, do you have and vids of your test day?

Hope the race goes good for you's, I need a women that would go racing with me and do well, lucky man lol.

Hi Swede Cup, got videos of all three sessions, just taken some small bits out and will post up with a bit of blurb tomorrow. Got the full session vids uploading and will post them later if any one wants to look. Cheers for the well wishes and yes, life's easy when the other half is in the seat with you!

Cup In bits
I look forward to the seeing the full session vids, gives me an idea of what my car will be like, there's not many videos on the net (that I can find anyway) of clios racing/ testing.

Cheers James...pity your car won't be ready in time to be there too.

Funny you should mention the stripe it looked a brighter sliver when I bought the roll but on the car looks a bit dark - would've prefered a really bright silver though. I keep getting told black would be better. It's on, performs a fuction (hole filler) and has obviously worked, does what it says on the tin, as I did buy a "go faster stripe".

Think guage was 8psi over reading - :(
Yes Pete i'm gutted but would of been too much risk to enter without trying the car :(

Yes it does the job definitely and I do like the colour choice personally :)

Cup In bits
LOL, try Burpspeed.com

Morning Pete.

Yeah I have watched most tony. When I say I'm struggling it's for videos of cups racing as there a slightly different beastie to phase one's.

And Tony I tried my ARB up against my racer wishbones yesterday, no issue with being pushed forward. I also noticed there was more room to offset so they must have stopped at 11mm for a reason.

15-08-2012 Mallory Testing pre CSCC Tin Tops race 26-08-2012

Was a last minute decision to take the Cup to Mallory for a shakedown, thought better to lose £100 as opposed to £300 should the we experience more electrical issues on the day. After a rushed get the car ready and pack up the tow car the evening before I'm ready. Sam's unable to come this time due to work commitments and we've just come back from a two week holiday too.

Meet up with Tony, Jay, Mark (123) and Dave, get signed on, car off the trailer, warmed up and I spot everyone changing into race suits.....Oooooh not brought mine I say's to everyone...Lol's back from all. Tony and Jay come to my aid and let me borrow their suits - though I doubt they will lend to me again as apparently my sweet smelling roses aroma isn't to their liking???

The start of the first session I take it easy for a while, to warm things up and also I'm waiting for the inevitable electrical issue to re appear (lots of faith me!!) . It doesn't and I spot Tony in the Burpspeed car behind me, let him pass and latch on to the back of his car. Most of my lines are similar just the entry into the hairpin I changed to match and the elbow clipping point. Still slowing a bit too much into Gerrards but it's a good session with a few cars overtaking giving me the places to watch out for so in the race hopefully we won't get mugged too much come the race....pit and a check of the pressures and look around the car - all is well.

Getting mugged - by Jay

Session two - get out and put in a few warm up laps and then start to push - things are going good, I take a slow couple of laps to sort out my corner entries and exits and to see where Jay is, let him pass then proceed to follow for a few laps all good experience, there is a bit of traffic too to mix things up a bit. Testing is just like a race can overtake where ever - Jay lets me past (lap 12) and the cat and mouse games start - takes him until lap 15 to finally get past me - I like to think I held him off (up more like) for three laps but he was probably just being nice!! It's following him on lap 16 where I record my fastest lap of the day 55.78. Learnt alot in this session and it was the best session of the day. He's off into the distance and I settle down to a rhythm and concentrate on keeping things constant....Car was faultless.

Fastest Lap 55.78

Session three - Took things relatively easy - learning the track and trying the entry into Gerrards at different speeds once at 90 - 95 :S won't do that again....well not in the Cup anyway.
The session seemed to go on for ages, while waiting for the chequered flag came across Marks cup and then spent the next 15 minutes mixing it up with him.

We seemed pretty much equal in the corners but I could easily catch him on the straights, we've bit more power it seems.

Bit of fun with Mark

So all in all a very useful days testing and glad I went, pity Sam wasn't there too. Cup was faultless and we now have high hopes for a better finish come the race. Didn't realise at the time but, total track time was 80 mins for the morning....20min - 20min and a 40min session.....

Had the Mallory race details delivered

08:00 sign on & Scrutneering
09:30 qualifying 30 mins
13:35 tintops race 40 mins

Session two

Last edited by a moderator:
I told Dave ;) I noticed I scarred Pete off the circuit and he didn't want to play any more after that :(

Pete mine is probably heavier than yours too, I have not done any lightening apart from the basic interior and I even still have glass windows. Plenty for me to work at for next year.

Carried out a post test and pre race day inspection today - couldn't have picked a hotter day for it really....

Had all the brakes apart - plenty of pad meat left, discs ok too and no noise from the 4 bearings too. Will swap out the brake fluid after the race, found my bit of rubber tube, with non return valve, that I bought 20 years ago seems to look ok. Too hot today for that job.

Spanner check revealed no loose bit's, the bits I checked that is.

Got a very slight oil leak from the gearbox, coming from the selector area? Think I've read somewhere that a repair kit can be got for this now.

2012-08-19-183.jpg

Finally removed the steering lock, after Mark123 showing me some pictures, took about 10 mins in total and was quite easy after all the fussing around for a few months trying to sort it out.

This is the locking bit I removed.

ScreenHunter_01Aug191513.jpg

also removed the bumper brackets that the front wheels catch on, raised the car to miss them, will lower the front a little bit after Mallory.

Tried stick sunstrip on - massive fail, to hot so that's in the bin.

Left the wheels off as going to get the tyres swapped over, left to right, this week.

Trying to get the arches rolled too as want to put some rear spacers on, for no other reason than to bring the rear out to match the front - I'll only use 10 or 15 mm spacers though (20 - 30mm total). May get other benefits from fitting too I suspect.

All in all a productive few hours with no major problems (or any problems) discovered.

182cup & 172 racecar
Is this much of a pita to do Tony?

Yes it is a little, I bought it to save spending £100 or more, to get it done done by a pro. Thought I could make my money back by charging (not much) to do it for people.

Need a hot air gun as well, to soften the paint, and if the car has been lowered, you will need to undo the bottom shock bolt and drop the rear beam, apart from that, not bad.