ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

After a busy 30th October Sunday, pumpkin carving;

29102011436Large.jpg

and other Halloween stuff, I give the Cup the last once over, load the Passat up with tools, spare tyres and the like then hitch the trailer and leave it all ready to go in the morning.

The 31st October arrives, after double checking that we have plenty of food on board I love to snack.... we leave a little bit late, drive 200 mtrs, it all stops...Clio Keys???? Sam denies having them...jump out and find them still in the ignition. Been to Bedford before minus keys........panic over off we go again (thinking, must get a button for enging start).

After unloading the Clio we head off to sign on and sit through the safety brief, the short drive from the unloading area to the building used for the sign on is really quite an adventure. The car feels totally different, all secure in the new race seats everything just feels good, like a kart...with a roof.

Finally we all head off track side, never driven the Cup over 15 - 20 mph since all the cage\seat work so really itching to get on the track. On the safety\site laps, get a feel for the car. Turn in, a lot more precise the additional tow out (had .5 before, 1 - 2 degrees now) and the stiffness in the whole car just makes it so........erm kart like. I try to get a bit of heat in the running gear, brakes are terrible and tyres cold so try a few faster corners and hard braking manoeuvres to warm things up a bit. Brakes improve but tyres still a bit cold.

With the site laps over we head out for something a bit faster....soon come in though as tyres are shocking, took me a while to actually remember that I'd not checked them once and that they are on the right psi for a summer day so once warm on this cool October day they were at about 24 front and a little bit less on the rear (I'd actually not checked them since the last trackday back in July). So stick 28 in all round got out for 3 - 4 fast laps and adjust back down, and there they stayed for the rest of the day 28-29 front and 29-30 rear, hot. Fronts possibly a bit too high. Do get a bit of wheel slip on corner exits, need to change my driving style now the Cup is that bit lighter.

Started a thread here with a bit more about the day.

All in all well pleased with the work\changes made to the Cup. Going to get another Bedford track day sorted and meet up with Tony Hunter for some better driving instruction.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Cages make so much difference to how the car feels. Can vouch for how good the OMP is too. definitely improved in the last couple of years, never want to fit another custom cages one again now!

That's a lot of toe out??!?!?!?!!!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Yeah I would Check that Toe out see if that is correct as you will eat tyres like.. well something that lives on a tyre diet!

Nice project though, a nice family friendly one!

Got my Go racing pack yesterday....

go racing pack_248x165.jpg

then found out Sam and I need one each.....can't get the application forms on their own, called the MSA direct and each form is registered to one person when sold.....:mad:

They have got that sewn up then...just as well this pack only cost £30.

172 Race Car
Got my Go racing pack yesterday....

then found out Sam and I need one each.....can't get the application forms on their own, called the MSA direct and each form is registered to one person when sold.....:mad:

They have got that sewn up then...just as well this pack only cost £30.
£30? is it an old one? They are a complete rip off tbh. A book that is available on line, a proper cheesy DVD that you watch when you do your ARDS anyway and some catalogs. IR mine was £250, and all I needed was the form.

£30? is it an old one? They are a complete rip off tbh. A book that is available on line, a proper cheesy DVD that you watch when you do your ARDS anyway and some catalogs. IR mine was £250, and all I needed was the form.

No, 2011 edition, off eBay, and the bloke has already changed it into my name...he bought it as a gift for me you know :approve:

Here are some video's from the last Bedford track day on the 31st October, all from outside the car. Not got a cam for inside the car as yet.

This one is Sam

Coming into pit's, like the front view...think Sam and Amy in the car

and finally one of me driving...think had my mate Boycey in the car too.

and before you ask here's Amy's (our current Au-pair) profile pic

ScreenHunter_02Nov241933.jpg

Just got to get the car ready for Bedford on the 26th Nov now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an awesome project mate. loving the fact you got your kids helping out haha.
Keep up the good work :)

They actually love working on the car, take their time in passing tools mind, took a while to get the difference between a cross point and a flat blade screwdriver, though getting there. Remember helping my Dad out many a Sunday on the family car. What really put me off buying cheap cars, Dad was always working on them on a weekend.

Properly done, love it.

Thanks...

Awesome project thread :) I like that you have included your family in it, brings it more down to earth if that makes sense?

Yes, and makes it easier all round to be honest....

To prepare for the next track day on the 26th Nov again at Bedford, stuck the car again on it's blocks of wood and changed the oil and filter, amazed myself in removing the front pads (how easy are these to remove...) put them back as plenty of meat on them. Taking new ones with me to Bedford so can swap there if need be, I'll be taking a G clamp too. Also removed the canister thing from behind drivers side of bumper, the horns and air flow thing from the passenger side and both the front fogs. Cut two holes in the wheel arch liners then remembered the ducting hadn't arrived........oh well was on a roll...

I also, hopefully, sorted the middle exhaust hanger out but we shall see...........

So after taking Harry to his Saturday football match

Got the Cup on it's blocks of wood
20-11-2011Large.jpg

and set the team to work, a short while later refreshments arrived......

ClioOilChange220-11-2011Large.jpg

Excuse the choice in oil...got a load with the car and I can use old oil, couldn't bare to chuck new stuff in the mix with red diesel and creosote for timber spraying. The cup has been on it since new I was told when I picked it up...

All that's left to do now his load the car, hitch up the trailer and hope there's no fog on Saturday 26th....Oh and Sam to bake a cake......then we're all set. Are you ready Tony?

Fiesta ST200
Awesome project thread mate!

Made quick progress to say the least! Hopefully i'll be there at some of the track days your at :) Which will be more than likely if you go to any gold track ones :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Really nice to meet you both Sam and Pete.I've just thawed out,my feet were freezing.

Really enjoyed the day.

182cup & 172 racecar
At least it was worth while,and you both listen,hope I explained things in an easy way for you to understand.

Sam can peddle a car along,and yes the smile got bigger as the day went on.

Cheers.

What a day the 26th November turned out to be, saw a fair few Clio's and met their drivers. What a great bunch of folk we all are too. Never seen so many Cups\Clio's on track, was a special day all round.

Met Tony Hunter at the track registration point, listened to Phil from Easytrack give his track brief. He took a while but it was an easy listen, likes a joke does Phil. Pity that I've now heard them all 5 or 6 times this year. I hope he gets some new material for next year...

Sam drove the sighting laps this time out, spent a few laps trying to tell her to get some heat into the brakes\get them working. As wanted to make sure after taking the pads out and swapping the inners for outers that it all worked as it should and I wasn't just a being pikey not putting new ones in.

I gave Tony the opportunity to go out first with Sam, baptism by fire, after the first few laps even I could see the difference lap on lap in the amount of speed Sam was carrying and through the corners. Said she has learnt a lot from her time spent out in the Cup with Tony, apart from how to drive but also some of the theory behind it all. She even found out that Tony used to compete with as little as 1hp a while back..nothing wrong with wearing a pair of jodhpurs is there.

Next it was my turn, completing a lap to get the car warmed up then increasing the pace, after a fair few laps and some really good instruction my confidence and control of the Cup had improved no end. Have, as a result pushed the Cup harder, further than ever before and got lots more out of it in both experiance and ability. Was told that at various points on track that my speed had increased by up to 10mph from the start of the day...can't fault that. Power\speed gain is what it's about....

Was after the lunch break I joined the queue to head out onto track, fair few clios\cups in front. Felt well toasty waiting to be let out of the pit lane....seemed an age, as the marshall was leaving 30 secs between each car... out on track got the car up to temp and made it my "hero" mission to at least pass the clios and cups out on track in front....cutting a long story short and after some very spirited and at one point "smoking" driving (locked the rears up whilst passing Dan and his cider drinking mate from down south) and posibly 3 laps later made it past all bar one....got 10 meters from his tail pipe, messed a gear change and he went into the pits, oh well there's always next time. Car was hot all day and well up for the job. Now need more front camber 2.9 -ve isn't now enough for the speed we're carrying, front tyre edges worn a lot more than before.

We're now even more eager to "go racing" next year. Got a few things to do first, race licence, finsh the car prep (fire extinguisher\ engine cut off to name two). Nothing major, I hope, needs to be done to bring the car up to the expected standard.

172 Race Car
I gave Tony the opportunity to go out first with Sam, baptism by fire, after the first few laps even I could see the difference lap on lap in the amount of speed Sam was carrying and through the corners. Said she has learnt a lot from her time spent out in the Cup with Tony, .
sounds like a good bloke, how much does he charge?

I'd look at toe and castor first

Castor, running with 3.2 - 3.3 +ve which I know gives more camber when turning....toe would say up to 2mm tow out....should I reduce the toe first? As this seems the only difference I have made since fitting the AST's. So logically thinking that should be reduced??? Toe out affects the inside edge of the tire I've just read...hmmmmm, that's my logic out the window then.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I can't translate mm to degrees, does not compute .

If your outside edges are scrubbing out, you need more toe out not less

I can't translate mm to degrees, does not compute .

If your outside edges are scrubbing out, you need more toe out not less

Converting from mm to degrees:
1. Multiply rim diameter in inches by 25.4 to get rim diameter in mm.
2. Multiply the result by PI to get the circumference.
3. Divide the result by 360 to get mm per degree.
4. Divide the toe mm by the mm/degree result to get toe in decimal degrees

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Converting from mm to degrees:
1. Multiply rim diameter in inches by 25.4 to get rim diameter in mm.
2. Multiply the result by PI to get the circumference.
3. Divide the result by 360 to get mm per degree.
4. Divide the toe mm by the mm/degree result to get toe in decimal degrees

well by that it's roughly 35mins of toe out (0.6 degrees) so not far off. Road cars are 20mins toe out ideally. I'm just surprised that 2.9deg of camber needs to be increased

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: Camber and tracking.

We run Camber
front -4.5
rear -3.6
Toe
front -1mm in
rear+ 3mm out

Tony do you still run with the above?

Front 3.5
Rear 2.5
Toe
Front 1-2mm out
Rear 1mm out.

Are you sure those figures are right? that's a very aggressive set up and it didn't look like those figures to me.