ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Been giving Harry and Scarlett some riding lessons this weekend, both are coming on really well. No doubt be a lot better that me as I only started riding in 1996.

Here's Harry on Fiver

HarryonFiver.jpg

Not to be out done, Scarlett too.

ScarlettonFiver.jpg

Demon pony....just the flash really.

A guy breaks down on a country road. He's got the bonnet up like a bloke pretending he knows what he's doing when a voice says, "Carburetor's flooded."

He looks around but sees nobody.

The voice says again, Carburetor's flooded, dude. Trust me."

He looks around again and sees only a horse looking over a hedge. He looks at the horse. The horse says, "Carburetor. Flooded."

The guy bolts down the hill to the local farm. The farmer sees him running wild-eyed and says, Woah, there, friend, what be the matter? ye look like ye've seen a ghost."

"A...a....horse....talking horse...up the hill...I broke down. Horse said the carburetor's flooded. Oh. My. Fcuking. God!" stutters the guy.

"Was it a black horse?" asks the farmer. "In the field at the top of the hill?"

Yes! Yes!" says the guy.

The farmer laughs and says, "Ignore him. He knows fcuk all about cars."

pete just a quick question. have you removed your steering lock yet?
If your keeping this road legal and need an MOT you might need to leave the steering column lock on. There is a new section in the revised MOT and although I've only had a very quick flick thru I'm sure it says if a column lock was fitted it needs to be present and working. I'm almost certain a reason for rejection was a column lock missing.

182cup & 172 racecar
Not sure about that one,as Rally cars have to have them removed as well,and they need an Mot.

See Scarlett has her mums smile.

Not sure about that one,as Rally cars have to have them removed as well,and they need an Mot.
Exactly my thoughts as I read it on the system at work!!
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/c...nualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm Class 4 manual, section 2.1
That's the official wording, parts with a black line next to them are new this year - not sure what is a suitable 'immobiliser device"?? If the lock has been removed.
And the reason for rejection is "A steering lock mechanism missing or fails to engage"

Last edited:
If your keeping this road legal and need an MOT you might need to leave the steering column lock on. There is a new section in the revised MOT and although I've only had a very quick flick thru I'm sure it says if a column lock was fitted it needs to be present and working. I'm almost certain a reason for rejection was a column lock missing.

No, not keeping it on the road, trailer it everywhere.

See Scarlett has her mums smile.

yes..lol hopefully she'll end up with the brains from me....she's only 4 too.

Blue book says must be removed unless driven to the event.

Where'd you read this, what page. Couldn't find any mention earlier.

Doesn't make sense does it.

Would they question if you said it was driven to the event....? Sort of becomes a CPX if you allow some but not the ones on trailers.

172 Race Car
Where'd you read this, what page. Couldn't find any mention earlier.

MSA 2012 Year Book said:
Page 266 - Steering
19.6. If fitted with a steering lock have it rendered
inoperative (except for road going vehicles, driven to
events).

Dont know why you'd even entertain the idea of keeping it on there tbh. Im guessing if it was a 'road going vehicle' then it would have tax disc and number plates on it at scrutineering

Steering

Q 19.6. If fitted with a steering lock have it rendered
inoperative (except for road going vehicles, driven to
events).

Same for bonnet pins:

Q 19.2.6. Other than a road going car, have bonnet
security clips fitted.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be crazy not to remove steering lock and fit bonnet pins.

The driven to event thing is quite common in the blue book. Maybe it is for historics or something, they have to keep so strictly to std spec for some regs that removal/addition of steering lock/bonnet pins might contravene other regs...

Dont know why you'd even entertain the idea of keeping it on there tbh. Im guessing if it was a 'road going vehicle' then it would have tax disc and number plates on it at scrutineering

Not considering it just asking a what if question.....

another thing im not sure if youve done yet..... Bonnet pins?

Not yet was on a list...list has gone missing though. When I fit can I remove the std bonnet release mech + cable or best to keep for now? Was going to fit four of the pin type.

Ah well, nowt to worry about then. Good luck with the rest of it, loving the progress so far!

Cheers, though there's more things to do than even I'd imagined\thought about....

You will need to get rid of the bonnet catch mechanism all together.

That's good, be gone this weekend....

2 pins at the front would do it if your keeping the hinges

Was going to get rid of the hinges but thinking about it, bit more trouble than it's worth at this early stage, bought a pair of Aero catches of eBay yesterday. Very good price too. I'll send you the wiring diags later this week too.

Got the rest of the inside sprayed today, bit of orange peel effect on the drivers floor pan, couldn't wait for the car to heat up totally. Done now and all the lightly sprayed bits gone over again. Looks really nice, didn't take any picks as had to get back.

My windows arrived this week too, 4 side windows.
10012012504.jpg

And as a bonus got £180 cash back payment to my CC so that's going towards the rear one. Just waiting for P4p to answer a question first before I get that ordered up.

Placed a call with Dan at 519, car's now booked in for the week starting 4th Feb for some work to be carried out.

Busy weekend planned ahead on the Cup hopefully (as on call for work so hope don't get called out...to often). Got the battery to relocate, Fire extinguisher to fit, windows to fit, start the fit of cut off switch (doubt I'll finish all this). Aerocatches may go on too.

Weather looks like it's turning cold now for the weekend. Have to see how it goes.....

Found some old photos too...

Harry and Scarlett on Roise, miniature Shetland...36 inches high, never liked me, she always gave me the run around trying to catch her (gone now used her sale to buy Fiver)

050920091.jpg

Me sailing back in 1996, just left the isle of Elba in the Med, where Bonaparte was exiled too.

pete_sailing_pic_001_11.jpg

Last edited:
Is that hat or hair?

Looks choppy:(

Lol you's funny, had hair then I'll have you know....it a skull and cross bones bandana thing, pirate like. Yes it was a bit choppy but when you've been mid Atlantic in a force 10 rising 11 with 30-40 foot wave\swells that's quite calm....also been knocked down (yacht laid horizontal from it's normal vertical position by wind) off Cape Trafalgar in another storm. Love sailing I do....:S

Things take longer than you think....finished of both doors today...messed up the cutting of the passenger door card (by the door lock) will get some black tape and make an edge to cover up the extra cut. Nothing too bad, I just know it's there....

Some pics

14012012512.jpg

Through to the drivers door

14012012513.jpg

Going to cover the boot lid, rear quarters tomorrow and also include the b pillar holes too.

One from the boot to show the finished colour, looks nice in the daylight...

14012012514.jpg

Hmmmm, maybe I should of left it as it was, as took my boots off to start cutting the rear quarter windows out...Doh..didn't want to scratch\mark my new master piece.

The door card material only cost me £15 of eBay too....used 2mm Correx (got 3 2mtr x 1 mtr sheets, plenty) and weighs nothing, thought I'd give it a try and the thin stuff looks ok

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Everything always takes longer than you expect,we have just finished putting the engine and stuff back in.

172 Race Car
Lets not spam Petes thread...........

Good progress mate, yes stuff that seams so simple can litteraly take hours, even days to get right

Cracking stuff mate really like the car and the fact your using it.

Thanks, though at times wish I could send it off to be sorted, working outside exposed to the elements can be a bit tiresome at times. As luck would have it the car started first time after replacing the stripped out interior loom (did wonder). Provided some needed heat at times.

Everything always takes longer than you expect,we have just finished putting the engine and stuff back in.

My "workshop" doesn't help but the view is nice at least. Good to hear re engine, thinking about ARP bolts now myself. Just wondering if I'll make the 1st race at Snetterton mid April, a track Sam and I know very well..Brands never been. Looking like it might be a push...not wanting to rush things really.

Good progress mate, yes stuff that seams so simple can litteraly take hours, even days to get right

Don't we know it,looks like it's coming on nicely.

It's all going in the right direction, well untill I fitted the Aerocatches that is...fitted the passenger side one first ok...put the drivers side in the same place, went to mark\drill the hole for the post and found that the drivers side mounting holes for the middle panel (that holds the bonnet release mech) is in a different position to the passenger side, or so it looks. Will have to extend the drivers side with some 3mm plate..never thought to look as presumed all would be the same side to side. Lesson learnt there.

182cup & 172 racecar
Your right,don't rush it.

Set a target,but if that comes and goes, so be it.We have done that a few times,there is always another race to do.

Someone said today that my paint job looked very professional...:D not letting it go to my head though, he's registered blind. Not looking at changing jobs ATM as this has been the first time I've prepared (of sorts) and sprayed anything and it was a bit of a job....

Looking like I'm having to remove the passenger wiper so I can get the extinguisher and eng cut off switch on the scuttle panel there, can get an Citroen AX single wiper mech and motor for £25, any one now how easy these are to fit?

There is a Storm single wiper mech +blade for £73 + £7 delivery from Venom...easier option?