ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

After many kart\trackday sessions, Vauxhall VXR days £95 for a day's worth of as much driving as you can fit in, decided with Sam (wife) to buy a car to use on track. She drives to a reasonable standard too.

Looking on piston heads saw many monsters and some suitable runners, talking to the petrol heads at work convinced me I needed a Clio 172 Cup to fill this position.

Maybe I was lucky but someone at work had a standard 172 cup for sale.....called him up and listened to him big it up, said hmmmm sounds great but don't want to spend more than 2K really.......end of conversation.

He calls me back says how about 2.3K, so in March 2011 I bought his pride and joy.

clio.JPG

Little did I know how things would turn out............

Last edited:
Getting a lift over to Coventry to pick the Cup up, a 1 owner from new, 90K full detailed service history, primed with the info from work mates I’m sort of looking forward to getting in it for the first time.

Mate from work shows me round, as not seen the car before, it’s in prime A1 condition. A well loved example for sure. Looked like he was going to take an age showing all, pointing out this tiny scratch or mark, so politely said was in a rush. I’d already transferred the cash to his bank account the day before so it was mine anyway, warts ‘n’ all.

Sitting inside, with the engine running he looks at me….”what are your plans for it?” errmmm nothing much, track days, suspension upgrade…maybe I reply. He then tells me that he’s never tracked the car, wanted to, “when’s your first one?”…
Sheepishly I reply 28[SUP]th[/SUP] March on the new Snetterton 300.
He askes, what about the inside…....I’ll probably leave that as standard…......ah that’s good wouldn’t want to see it stripped…

Doc’s and V5 completed I get in, pre warned of the clutch and its high bite point I pull off, didn’t stall and looked confident as he was waving me off, with a slight tear in his eye. He did tell me how to get out of the housing estate he lived on, but once I started to drive the directions all went out of the window….not had so much fun for ages (don’t tell the missus).

So, after getting my phone’s sat nav working, didn’t have a clue where I was, I arrived home. With a massive big grin on my face, well under half of a tank of fuel left for 90 miles...(he filled it up for me) I took the first picture of my (sorry, our) new car.

16032011113.jpg

16-03-2011

Last edited:
Nice one mate - I know what you mean about putting a smile on your face, the small occasions I get to put my foot down a bit on the 4 mile journey to work always reminds me how much fun the car is, and having since done my 1st track day in it a couple of weeks ago I'm couldn't be happier with it!! Keep the updates coming!!

172 Race Car
Looking forward to following this thread.

Bit concerned he warned you about the high bite point, usualy a sign the clutch is worn out

Looking forward to following this thread.

Bit concerned he warned you about the high bite point, usualy a sign the clutch is worn out

Cheers Jay....

wasn't the seller, it was a general view from people at work, harsh and sometimes hard to get accelerator\clutch right in traffic etc, high bite point my words. It's been fine the 5 or so track days I've done in it.

BMW M135i
They're all heavy, high and abrupt engagement. You just get used to it so it seems normal, try driving something soft and easy then get back in it!

With the car home, time to start on preparation for its first track day in two weeks, the new Snetterton 300. The car came with nearly new 4 P Zero’s and a set of boxed front Brembo HC’s so bought a rear set to match, Brembo discs and EBC Red pads all round. I did have them fitted (I am no mechanic, wouldn’t now 7 mths on) by a mate. Took the Cup off the road (Sorn'd) as I didn’t want another car to tax and insure(already have 3 on the road, mine, Sam’s and Au pair's).

Time to sort out a trailer, been looking on eBay and as luck would have it, won a good Benderup trailer for 1K in Peterborough 15 miles away.

28032011118 [1024x768].jpg

Didn’t do much to the car for the two weeks apart from practising getting it off and on the trailer, got it down to a fine art now.

The big day arrives, a mate from work was also going in his barge, a red Mazda 6 MPS and we meet up register. When pulling off to start the sighting lap. He in his haste forgot about his tool box and spare wheels in front of his car and promptly ran over them. Laughing Sam and I pull off, he soon got his revenge as on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] sighting lap the cup wouldn’t rev past 3K and he passes pointing and laughing wildly….the square light with zig zag was lit. Limps back to the pits thinking bugger, switch of the ignition waited about a minute and started the car again. No lights lit…off we go, light didn’t come on again for the rest of the day.

Day goes really well, cup was ace through out and we covered just short of 170 miles. One incident sticks out in my mind, well two really. Nearly spinning on cold tyres at Oggies and Sam getting passed by the red barge, something I’m reminded of daily by the bloke at work. Going through the Esses (now Brundle to Nelson)saying to Sam hard brakes to third, turn in short shift to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]part of Esses (Nelson), accelerate hard out, quick shift into 3[SUP]rd[/SUP],clip the drain hole cover at the bomb hole and accelerate into 4[SUP]th[/SUP]for Coram, turn in HOLD steering and throttle and the car will track its self to Murrays…I can see the red barge not so far behind…..say to Sam wait for straight before getting on the brakes change down to third then 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]…..bugger, she didn’t let the clutch out after selecting 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]….politely asked her to let the F’ing clutch out and resume driving like a proper person. Too late though, by the time she’s back on the power, telling her to keep accelerating(suffers from changing too early), into 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]……the barge creeps past, mate’s loving this………

With the first track day in the cup under our belt I start to look at where to improve things, start off with replacing the suspension with KW V2's.

Cilotrailer.jpg

Fitted the dogbone mount that came with the car, previous owner never got round to it.

280420111661.jpg

Then head off to Bedford in April, have a shocking start...took 1 spin and plenty of front wheels off, front wheels on and adjustment to both front and rear to get the suspension happy. Fitted in a rush week before track day and never got it properly set up. Found Bedford forgiving of mistakes, wide and plenty of run offs. Spinning off with 6-7 cars behind scattering in plumes of tyre smoke and dust concentrates the mind somewhat.

Sam even notices how differntly the car handles and it's lower too........could even clean the roof with out a step. Not that she's been any where near the car other than to get in the drivers door.

Happy for now with the KW's I look for the next upgrade.

With the rear stripped, seats and other easy to put back bits the Whiteline ARB arrives and gets promptly fitted along with the uprated rear exhaust hanger'

whitelineARB.jpg

I also get hold of some new wheels and tyres....I do like these.

wheels1.jpg

We head off back to Snetterton in early June for what can be said a cracking day out. Left the turinis on for part of the day, noticed the difference that the RARB set to medium made, not so much understeer with the P zeros. Swapped the wheel\tyres over warmed them up for a couple of laps checked the pressures and away we went.

The difference is night and day......never again will I use road tyres for the track. Worth every penny and level of grip and confidence they give is an understatement by far.

DSC_0289.jpg

Unfortunately the A048's show up the KW V2's are not all they are cracked up to be, on full hard still to soft. They are a geat bit of kit for road use and the occasional track day. Even phoned KW themselves and they said they are not meant for a track based stripped car.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You can "modify" the v2 kit to be more suited to the track work. I have done with mine but it meant getting stuff revalved to suit. Now it works just how I want it to and it's not horrendous on the road really. Doesn't rattle your fillings out! Lol

Clio 182 Trophy
looks great mate! will you swap the coilovers for something else?

Does anyone know which set / model of coilovers is more track focused?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
After chatting with Curtis at ast, the sportline 2's are the more track focused option that's out there without blowing 2k+ on kw's Motorsport set-up.
With the ast's you specify what spring rates you want and the dampers are valved to work with them within a set range, so you could go softer on the springs if you wanted.

Decision made, it's backup on to axle stands for the Cup,

ClioBarnLarge.jpg

Off with the KW V2's and exchanged for a set of AST Sportline II's, the swap over takes an age as the AST's had to built up over in the Netherlands. While I wait I sort out a few other things,

Poly bushed the FARB and Wishbones, whilst on axle stands...not something I'd try again.....

ClioRARB2Large.jpg

Also fit some Goodridge braided lines, then fit the AST's when they arrive......

23102011424.jpg

Spec'd to AST's Track set up, glad I did as even on the lowest settings these are pretty firm, will have to see how they hold up to a constant 40 mins of track time to see if I made the right choice or not.

I didn't change the camber settings from the KW's (-2.2) and the toe out looked the same (fitters eye) didn't go for another geo set up and booked the next Track day...Cadwell Park for 25 July

So, back to July 2011 and a day at Cadwell park with the new AST suspension. I've already started a thread with how this day went (good) so will post a link here;

Cadwell Park review

25072011248.jpg

It was such a good day that I made up my mind to strip the car completely, past the point of no return. Up until now I could've put all back to standard and move on.

So I order some seats, steering wheel and boss, roll cage OMP AB/105P/220H and two harnesses.

Bimarco Futura's
03082011258.jpg

Then go on holiday so left the car like this;
01082011252.jpg

01082011251.jpg

Holiday was good, all had a lovely time though I could'nt wait to get back and sort the cup out.

11082011284.jpg

Harry body boarding, Sam saving Scarlett from the waves......

awesome progress so far and a nice read through!

It's nice to see someone who buys it for a track car actually using it as a track car!

Any plans performance wise or are you happy as it is?

awesome progress so far and a nice read through!

It's nice to see someone who buys it for a track car actually using it as a track car!

Any plans performance wise or are you happy as it is?

For the moment leaving it as standard as it's good enough, think I've lots to get right before I need more power. Also the small amounts of power you get for your pound isn't all that appealing.

The handling\control is where it's at for me at the moment and once I've over come "i've just spent how much on the car" lift I'll be faster anyway....lol

Early September 2011 after removing the rest of the insides, dash, door cards etc I arrange to have the cage fitted. After ringing round I choose Dan at 519 to fit it. So early one morning I pack the Cup up,

04092011388.jpg

and head off in Dan's direction. Not too pleased as already the cage install has cost me an unplaned £120. Cracked the windscreen trying to get the cage in for transportation.

After a while I get an email from Dan with some update photos, all looking good..

roll10.jpg

roll7.jpg

roll4.jpg

I drop off a seat so the harness bars can be fitted and pick the car up early October, now two weeks to a booked track day on the 31st October.

Not too much to do....

The same day after picking the Cup up I have butchered the dash back into place....

CliodashinLarge.jpg

The next time I work on the Cup, it's a family affair.....

Cliofamily.jpg

I get the rest of the wiring sorted and seat mounts in.....

23102011422.jpg

Leave it for a few days and finally get the seats in....phew...looking good I hope....

23102011425.jpg

Going to paint, or get the insides painted at a later date.

The 2nd mechanic wanted to be the first......after riding her pony "Fiver", to try out the new seats.....

23102011423.jpg

Finished for now, I take the cup to a local motorsports place, George Polley of
Polley Motorsports to get the Geo re-set up in readyness for the track day booked on the 31st at Bedford.

Recommend this garage, if you're local, for any work. Family run and George (then his two sons and daughter) have been involved in motorsports since before I was born. His grandson, age 12, has more motorsport trophys than most people I know put together.

A048's for £99 plus vat.

So All the brakes and fluids checked and the car given a bit of a clean...

ClioScarlettcleaning.jpg

Scarlett taking over, as women do, when there's cleaning involved... not complaining as she cleans all four wheels.

Clioscarlettclean1.jpg

I leave the Cup on it's trailer, ready to go on the 31st. Looking well forward to driving it on the day and hope the weather clears and is at least rain free...

Last edited:
loving it mate :D

Thanks...

Cage is looking good.

Cage is very nice.

Cage has turned out good, after all the horror stories I heard of OMP, after buying....was a bit unsure.

Not messing around are you! Fair play fella, fair play!

Started out as just a bit of fun has evolved into something a bit more serious.

This is ace. Wish I had the time and money to do something like this :(

Money I can understand, but time - I've just fitted it in at weekends really with children and horses mornings and evenings are a bit full. Sold the horse I had a while ago and bought this instead....not every one has something to sell I know. Have to work out what\where you want to put your money, got to enjoy life after all, even if it means taking on a bit of debt. Like every one else I've had my fair share of rip off CC's and loans to fund my bikes\cars and serious nights out whilst looking for the next conquest.

But i'm now a lot older...lol I know when the mortgage will be paid off and when I can ditch the office job and move into something a lot less stressfull. Maybe a green keepers position. I can mow grass.

This is a bit too much for a project thread...been down the pub for Friday lunch.....

very nice

Cheers....

182cup & 172 racecar
Thanks...

Cage has turned out good, after all the horror stories I heard of OMP, after buying....was a bit unsure.

Started out as just a bit of fun has evolved into something a bit more serious.

Money I can understand, but time - I've just fitted it in at weekends really with children and horses mornings and evenings are a bit full. Sold the horse I had a while ago and bought this instead....not every one has something to sell I know. Have to work out what\where you want to put your money, got to enjoy life after all, even if it means taking on a bit of debt. Like every one else I've had my fair share of rip off CC's and loans to fund my bikes\cars and serious nights out whilst looking for the next conquest.

But i'm now a lot older...lol I know when the mortgage will be paid off and when I can ditch the office job and move into something a lot less stressfull. Maybe a green keepers position. I can mow grass.

This is a bit too much for a project thread...been down the pub for Friday lunch.....

Cheers....
Nothing wrong with greenkeeping.That's why I do it now,my stressful days have gone.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like an awesome project mate. loving the fact you got your kids helping out haha.
Keep up the good work :)

R26
Awesome project thread :) I like that you have included your family in it, brings it more down to earth if that makes sense?