ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too Many Dogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MX-5 went on Friday, and so the 172 hunt is on...

Am i being too fussy or is the market place just flooded with dogs?!

My list...

Max budget £3k
Ph2 only
Under 90k pref
Flame Red or Black (but would compromise on colour for a minter)
On standard wheels, no chavvy exhaust. (i could change wheels to standard if car was cheap enough)
HPI clear

Went to see one on Saturday, and had a few things wrong that weren't mentioned in the advert.
Tonight we were all geared up to go to Cardiff for what was promised a mint HPI clear flame red car, only to find out when running our own HPI check that it's a cat D.
OH is a damage repair assessor and really won't let me buy a catagorised car...

It's stressing me out already :S

Fiesta ST-3
Yea agreed but there are alot of nice examples out there. My problem was i had to travel at least 60 miles before finding one. Good luck in the hunt though.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
lols-- 3k should get you a mint one under 60k with the belts done.....

S

Astra SRI/ Hornet
alot of undesireables own them now and dont treat them right and abuse them. they are out there though so just be patient.

Missed that price reduction - can't view attachments so just pm'd!

Have found myself strangely attracted to a dark blue (what ever colour that is that you call it) on Piston Heads. Have emailed him too :)

I am patient, it's just the 172 has massive boots to fill

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The car that steve mentoned belonged to Paul, (lemonnobby1 on here). He's arenault technician and sold it to griff20 and I can promise you, the car has wanted for nothing. I've seen it many times when paul had it as I worked with him and its had every belt/pulley/filter changed on the dot. Very well looked after car.

Deffo worth alook.

The car that steve mentoned belonged to Paul, (lemonnobby1 on here). He's arenault technician and sold it to griff20 and I can promise you, the car has wanted for nothing. I've seen it many times when paul had it as I worked with him and its had every belt/pulley/filter changed on the dot. Very well looked after car.

Deffo worth alook.

Thank you - great to know!

filling a mx5 boots wont be too difficult for an rs.

Trust me, it has HUGE boots to fill. My MX-5 was mint and although not as quick as a 172, it handled phenomenally well, was faultless and just an alround fantastic car! Only sold it as insurance just wasn't going down, and I felt the need for a more practical car. :)

C3 Picasso Beast
Have found myself strangely attracted to a dark blue (what ever colour that is that you call it) on Piston Heads....

You mean a Monaco and I'd advise you to buy one in that colour as it's the least common of the ph2 172 colours...

Not that I'm biased though ;)

P1010311.jpg

200 FF Storm Grey
Yea agreed but there are alot of nice examples out there. My problem was i had to travel at least 60 miles before finding one. Good luck in the hunt though.

60 miles is nothing really, i'd travel the length of the country if it meant the car I wanted

Pug 205 gti
I know how you feel, i was out on friday an there was a lot of dogs around. I kept lookin for a minter though......but nothing. Gutted.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Not imo it wont ;)

You'd need at least 3.5k for a good one. That extra £500 makes all the difference!

lols.... 3k will easily secure a minter if you know what your doing---

I cant help it if you cant haggle...

S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not imo it wont ;)

You'd need at least 3.5k for a good one. That extra £500 makes all the difference!

Deffo worth alook.

Yes it will. x

mx5 & 172
The prices people have got them up for are silly imo. Unless you're willing to take a high mileage ph2 you don't see them advertised for under 3500 and I've seen some real shitters at that price.

Sadly I let a very good ph1 go at just over 2k cos it was the first one I saw- kind of regretting that now.

Clio 172 ph2
Mine was just under 3k. Its mint but with 80k miles (only two owners), from a dealer with some warranty. Plus its a 53 plate so has cruise and ESP.

I hunted for months with a budget of 3k and i disagree with the above, its not easy to find one for that price thats mint, but they are out there!
knocking down a private sale is easier but then if there are issues after its bought you're on your own. Mines already had a new throttle pedal, throttle body clean and dogmount bush under warranty!

Not bothered about certain things as such, my partner is a crash repair estimator in a body shop so cosmetic things can be sorted very cheap. His good friend is a Renault technician, and his mum works at Euro Car Parts. So i'm pretty set up in that respect.

Seen a 2003 172 on ebay but hasn't had a cambelt done. Not a big deal, will only cost me parts. But just made me think that if that's not been done, has it been looked after well at all?

Then there's a 182 with 95k on the clock but full Renault service history - is it worth the risk for a better looking car?

I'm stretching my budget out a bit which i didn't want to do.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols 2 years ago there was decent ones for 3.2k!

Oh if it's advertised for £3500 i'd want it for 3k in this climate.

If you can't find one for 3/3.5k then you're not looking right imo.

It's ok Kev, you can have your opinion ;) I still see the Clio as a step down for me though, even if it is quicker :(

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Yeah I can understand where your coming from as the new shape mx5 is obviously a nice car in terms of style etc if ya like a good blast though I think the 1*2 will involve ya like the mx5 never did, if ya don't then you'll just think of it as just a Clio.

Yeah I can understand where your coming from as the new shape mx5 is obviously a nice car in terms of style etc if ya like a good blast though I think the 1*2 will involve ya like the mx5 never did, if ya don't then you'll just think of it as just a Clio.
Mine was aMk2, so not the ugly heavy new shape :p
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But it's the only newer quicker car in my budget. We'll see. I'll take some convincing for sure!

mx5 & 172
He was clearly doing it wrong :p

A fwd hatchback (no matter how good) will never come close to a perfectly balanced, low grip rwd convertible in terms of comedy value and involvement - it's a natural law like that thing about conservation of energy I ignored in physics (also you can't do donuts in a clio)

However...
From my various test drives over the last couple of months it's clear the clio is the closest you're going to get at this price which is why I'm shopping for one to replace my trusty old mk1.

edit:
Actually - while I'm here. I see several traders posting here and offering advice etc but they don't seem to be trying to flog cars anywhere (which is very polite) - surely some of them must have a web presence with stock etc listed - I've snouted round for a few but couldn't find any. Is this the point where I need to stump up for membership?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
£10 Membership gives you access to traders & classifieds.....

Steve

mx5 & 172
figured it was time to take the plunge - you realise I'm expecting to see reams of 172s in perfect nick for 2 grand now :p

Astra SRI/ Hornet
He was clearly doing it wrong :p

A fwd hatchback (no matter how good) will never come close to a perfectly balanced, low grip rwd convertible in terms of comedy value and involvement - it's a natural law like that thing about conservation of energy I ignored in physics (also you can't do donuts in a clio)

However...
From my various test drives over the last couple of months it's clear the clio is the closest you're going to get at this price which is why I'm shopping for one to replace my trusty old mk1.

edit:
Actually - while I'm here. I see several traders posting here and offering advice etc but they don't seem to be trying to flog cars anywhere (which is very polite) - surely some of them must have a web presence with stock etc listed - I've snouted round for a few but couldn't find any. Is this the point where I need to stump up for membership?

you cant throw around and bully the mx5 like a clio and beg for more, all you get from a mx5 is ooo look how efficient i am. lol and if were honest abit of a girls car. there are manly real sports cars out there, its called an elise.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
LOL-

To be fair the cars sold on here are 'GENERALLY' well looked after by enthusiasts......

Not all though..... ;)
S

mx5 & 172
you cant throw around and bully the mx5 like a clio and beg for more, all you get from a mx5 is ooo look how efficient i am. lol and if were honest abit of a girls car. there are manly real sports cars out there, its called an elise.

clio drivers aren't really in a position to use the girls car argument are they ?

:p

I'll stop now - i haven't driven a clio hard enough to know anything for sure :D

Mx-5, efficient..... I'm buying a Clio for better fuel economy, lower insurance and for something a bit newer!
The mx-5 is a gokart, you can throw it anywhere, although its not hugely forgiving if you get it wrong, but i liked that. I LOVED the feedback you got from it, the raw feeling. It's a drivers car for those that cant afford an Elise, and it's more practical too!
(I personally think an Elise is far more gay looking than a 5 too ;) )

Still absolutely GUTTED i've sold mine, and in years to come there will be another mk2 RS Roadster sat on my driveway :)

I'm off to see a nice Monaco blue clio on Friday though :D

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Behave.

FWD car with inferior suspension setup and the seating position of a bus is more involving??

A 172 is a quick and quirky little car (I'm looking at buying one atm tbh) but let's be honest, it's still based on a shopping trolley. Standard for standard, the Clio would be quicker, no doubt. But the MX5 is 19294924x more involving that the Clio will ever be. Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.