ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track baptism for the 172 - first public driving day at the Nurburgring in 2009

172 ph1
Bought a 172 last winter, and I was itching to take it to a trackday. Had appointments made to fit new brake lines, fluid, pads, and steering wheel over the next few weeks.

The weather in Europe hasn't been very good lately and the Nurburgring was still covered in snow at the beginning of last week. That plus construction work meant that the track stayed closed. But then the snow melted and the weather prediction for this Sunday turned from rain to cloudy, and the construction work was done. It was official - 15/3/2009 was the first day that the Nurburgring was open for public driving this year.

I decided to go with the car as it is, and just to take it easy, as I needed to get acquainted with the track again and needed to get used to driving the Clio. Girlfriend was delighted to take a roadtrip.

We first stopped at the McDonalds in Eupen, where I met people off the internet for the first time - 2 Americans in the US military, which was also my first trip to the 'Ring. I always go to the Ring via Eupen as the route from Eupen to the Ring is through scenic little German villages and the roads are very fun to drive.

First time I took some shots of the Clio 172. :D

IMG_5376.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

It was a very calm day at the Nurburgring in terms of number of cars. No bikes :bowdown: There were still places in the main carpark!

IMG_5394.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

Bought a ticket and went for a lap right away

8200rpm.com.599672_H.jpg

Got back to the carpark to find this, a Brabham BMW... check out those rims :eek:

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

Then I saw something MUCH cooler, a fully track prepared Clio 172 :p Totally stripped, caged, brake ducts instead of fog lights, etc etc
IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

Some other shots from the carpark.

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

I ended up doing 4 laps, got caught on the webcam each time :D

8200rpm.com.599728_H.jpg

8200rpm.com.599790_H.jpg

before my final lap there was quite a delay when they had problems with their new ticketing machine. I swear it wasn't my sabotage :eek:

8200rpm.com.599858_H.jpg

The Clio was fantastic. After 4 laps I was already very at ease in it and started lapping at a decent pace.

The Nurburgring isn't too intensive on brakes, and I let things cool down after each lap, so I had no problems with the stock brakes or tires which was very surprising :D

All in all very satisfied with the Clio as it exceeded my expectations in a big way.

We'll be going a lot more times this year, probably stay for both days of a weekend the next time, so I'll have onboard videos soon :D

b/g 182, meg tourer
awesome. i still need to go. think i will be this year.
some great cars there, bmw looks like its on steroids!

BG182®
Some lovely looking motor's there. Good to see you had a good day.

BTW where abouts from Belgium are you from? I go there about every two months for work in Ieper at Punch Graphics. I love the place.

172 ph1
Some lovely looking motor's there. Good to see you had a good day.

BTW where abouts from Belgium are you from? I go there about every two months for work in Ieper at Punch Graphics. I love the place.
I'm located in Brussels :)

BG182®
Sod dubs, it's all about the VW hubs now.

Must be track tyres, Wouldn't think VW would have anything but alloys on the Scirocco though.

172 ph1
Just found these 2 shots taken at Schwalbenschwanz!

edit: looking for an uploader...

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I so so so so so regret never taking the williams... the 172 better be good!

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Top pics and a lovly looking clio aswell.
From which part of brussels are exactly, near brussel stad or more generaly vlaams brabant?
Ever seen a black Ph2 172 somewhere round the Place Flagey, if so that'll be me then :p

Also that road via Eupen, is it the one trough Monshau? If it is the scenery is truly amazing indeed!

172 ph1
Top pics and a lovly looking clio aswell.
From which part of brussels are exactly, near brussel stad or more generaly vlaams brabant?
Ever seen a black Ph2 172 somewhere round the Place Flagey, if so that'll be me then :p

Also that road via Eupen, is it the one trough Monshau? If it is the scenery is truly amazing indeed!
Oh cool! I'm in Sint Gillis (close to Ave. Louise)

Probably, don't know all the names of the towns I pass through, but it's a easy to follow route to the Ring from Eupen :)

Would be cool to meet some time.

WR1 impreza
Cant believe its not been said already!!! PICS of girlfriend ;)

I think id end up spending more time looking round the carpark than doing laps tbh lol. Love that beemer

172 ph1

I think id end up spending more time looking round the carpark than doing laps tbh lol. Love that beemer
some photos from Tenerife

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg
IMG_5101.jpg

Awesome girl, loves me, my dinky little car, loves karting & accompanying me to trackdays, and the perfect girlfriend. Hope to marry her some day :eek:

320d
You have mastered the Aperture mode in the last pic of your gf epic tbh.

I'd love to go to the ring, it looks like a dream land.

Did you have any problems on track, heard that there are a fair few bumps there.

What sort of speeds did the 172 get up to then mate?

SQ5

Was gonna ask this then saw your post!

Good lad posting them straight away though! ;) Both her and the car look good ;)

I want to try get there this year or next in the Clio.

Whats the deal with the z4 though?!

172 ph1
You have mastered the Aperture mode in the last pic of your gf epic tbh.

I'd love to go to the ring, it looks like a dream land.

Did you have any problems on track, heard that there are a fair few bumps there.

What sort of speeds did the 172 get up to then mate?
The RS was perfect for the track even with the standard suspension, the Nurburgring is quite bumpy at places and has a lot of crests and dips but the Clio dealt with them in a very confidence inspiring manner.

I didn't keep my eye on the speedo but my gf told me top speed on the track was 200+ km/h

172 ph1
Was gonna ask this then saw your post!

Good lad posting them straight away though! ;) Both her and the car look good ;)

I want to try get there this year or next in the Clio.

Whats the deal with the z4 though?!

My previous car was a Z4 3.0i with standard suspension

The 172 is as fast if not faster around the Nurburgring due to the more confidence inspiring suspension.