ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track / Race 172

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Awesome, the CS defo needs a tad more low down grunt. Hopefully get this done before Aintree.
Yeah he explained how you would really feel it lower down and with increased throttle response it will be much improved.
Increases the Rev range to 7500 and peak bhp is 6700/7000 as you can see by the graph. This will then allow the power to stay and not drop off.

Clio 172 (CUP)
£159 - Very good service I have been debating it for a while too.
Did about 6 runs in today (3 readings in each run)
He doesn't settle for the first run he is very very good.
Like I said above I am running standard engine part form air box and exhaust and managed to get another 7 bhp and a much better power delivery and throttle response.
Josh
It's results and the many recommendations I've been seeing like this, which makes me realise I'll be carting mine on a trailer 250 miles north back to my home town to get it mapped by EFI [emoji6], plus he can unlock the ecu too.

Good luck this weekend.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Race report Cadwell Park 3rd September.

So for people who have been following the thread will understand that the Clio has been transformed into a 'race car' still a lot more to do with the car however this was my first race weekend....very scary!!

So up on Saturday nice and early woke up to lovely weather but rain was on its way which was not what I wanted for my first race.
So went out for qualy forgot to put the go pro on but was settling the car in considering I haven't drove it in a few months was getting faster and faster and on lap 8 I put in a 1.51 (I think) I felt I could go quicker but this got me 6th on the grid lines up next to @Tony Hunter in a Toyota Celica.

Race 1
After waiting in the paddock for a while it started to rain, there were minis out of track on slicks you can imagine what happened next some big crashes so we got an early lunch and told to go back and wait to be called again, so finally got down on the track for race one, very very nervous but an amazing feeling conakred to Trck days. The green light went and I got swamped by MR2's and dropped to 11th from 6th I settled my nerves got used to the track in the wet and worked my way back to 5th absolutely over the moon with this!!!

Race 2
Started 5th on the grid had a diesel bora on my right this time attached into the first corner however standing water was an issue so I backed off abit. And an uneventful race until my last few laps when a civic was coming back through the pack got past me then spun off in front of me (fight this in go pro) overall I finished 4th again amazing race for me.

Anyone who is thinking of getting on the grid after Trackdays I cannot stress enough how much fun it is....it is a totally different buzz than Trackdays yes you don't get the Trck time but I tell you now the 15/20 race feel like forever when you have cars all around you constantly!!

All in all great weekend cannot wait for Snetterton now in October!
Josh

So for people who have been following the thread will understand that the Clio has been transformed into a 'race car' still a lot more to do with the car however this was my first race weekend....very scary!!

So up on Saturday nice and early woke up to lovely weather but rain was on its way which was not what I wanted for my first race.
So went out for qualy forgot to put the go pro on but was settling the car in considering I haven't drove it in a few months was getting faster and faster and on lap 8 I put in a 1.51 (I think) I felt I could go quicker but this got me 6th on the grid lines up next to @Tony Hunter in a Toyota Celica.

Race 1
After waiting in the paddock for a while it started to rain, there were minis out of track on slicks you can imagine what happened next some big crashes so we got an early lunch and told to go back and wait to be called again, so finally got down on the track for race one, very very nervous but an amazing feeling conakred to Trck days. The green light went and I got swamped by MR2's and dropped to 11th from 6th I settled my nerves got used to the track in the wet and worked my way back to 5th absolutely over the moon with this!!!

Race 2
Started 5th on the grid had a diesel bora on my right this time attached into the first corner however standing water was an issue so I backed off abit. And an uneventful race until my last few laps when a civic was coming back through the pack got past me then spun off in front of me (fight this in go pro) overall I finished 4th again amazing race for me.

Anyone who is thinking of getting on the grid after Trackdays I cannot stress enough how much fun it is....it is a totally different buzz than Trackdays yes you don't get the Trck time but I tell you now the 15/20 race feel like forever when you have cars all around you constantly!!

Josh

Glad to hear the first race went well mate, was waiting for a report of this!

In addition good result to bud! Was that 4th overall or 4th in class? Presume the katter just checking hah

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Clio 172

Race 1

Race 2

Josh

Nice work Josh, I was there watching the racing at Halls Bend. All the best

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Glad to hear the first race went well mate, was waiting for a report of this!

In addition good result to bud! Was that 4th overall or 4th in class? Presume the katter just checking hah

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
It was a mixed grid I was 4th overall....I had a Civic, Bora and a Celica in front of me! Not all the normal races were there though so was a good settling in race.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Nice work Josh, I was there watching the racing at Halls Bend. All the best
Glad someone was there to back up how bad the weather was....mad it all the more interesting for my first race I suppose, still getting used to overtaking wherever there is a gap I left to much room at the starts and didn't want to get into trouble, just being sensible.

182cup & 172 racecar
Well done Josh, the main thing is, is making it through the day.
Not a nice introduction to your first race, Heavy Rain!
Glad you enjoyed it and Hope to see you out again soon.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That's an awesome result mate well done.

Very happy for you, had a feeling you would do great.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
That's an awesome result mate well done.

Very happy for you, had a feeling you would do great.
If you get the chance you should do it, sitting on the grid thinking s*** then lights are going out and it's going to be flat out for 8-10 laps....it's totally different to track days!
Car went well just little Tweeks to be done now to make it perfect for the class

182cup & 172 racecar
Josh, if you look on the tarc site, look for Dave Hemingways vid, you feature in that, as you were stuck between the 2 of them for a bit.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Josh, if you look on the tarc site, look for Dave Hemingways vid, you feature in that, as you were stuck between the 2 of them for a bit.
I have just watched it!! I got bogged down by the civic off the start and got swamped by the MR2's then I took it easy for a few laps then went for it after about 3 laps.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Not posted in here since last year....end of last season racing went well, a big step up from doing your normal track days all good fun though.

Realised over winter I need £££££ to be competitive....so another year building up bits and pieces should see me in a good position by the end of this racing season.

I will get some updated pictures over the coming weeks as I have made some improvements over winter and have a bits to fit (PMS Shifter, PMS engine mounts)

Some cosmetic changes too change in colour on the roll Cage and a tidy up inside makes it look a lot better too.

Few pictures of last season racing and how it stands before painting!
Next events -
Track day Oulton Park 24th February
1st Race event -
Snetterton 300 March 25th (I think)
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_2660.JPG
    IMG_2660.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2425.JPG
    IMG_2425.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 265
  Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Nice josh! Car looks awesome.

What roof scoop are you running?

Just the universal one from eBay, it's fiberglass I have just sanded down and sprayed it over it's a good fit. Just make sure if your running a full cage you Mount it far enough back it doesn't catch.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Looks like it could do with a tad more camber up front from that pic where you're heading towards the mountain. Failing that a bit of extra castor to reduce induced camber in turns.
It's running somewhere in the range of 2.5 on the front just sorting out a few essentials to get me back out on the grid...this will be sorted with new suspension and top mounts.
Thanks for the guidance though
How is the AG?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's running somewhere in the range of 2.5 on the front just sorting out a few essentials to get me back out on the grid...this will be sorted with new suspension and top mounts.
Thanks for the guidance though
How is the AG?
Well you'll need about 3-3.5 degrees negative up front mate, but 3 wouldn't be a bad place to start.
It's alright ta mate. Tucked away in the garage whilst the weathers rubbish.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Out with the old and in with the new!
PMS solid mount to replace the standard one.

Just need to relocate the ecu now as it was mounted on top of the battery carriage.

Also fitted some new rear discs and pads.

Attachments

• IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 307
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Cracking read @Josh, where did you mount your ecu too in the end?

Are you making the trip down for Combe in a few weeks?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Cracking read @Josh, where did you mount your ecu too in the end?

Are you making the trip down for Combe in a few weeks?

Yeah will be at Combe!
It's mounted against the suspension leg like in a vertical position below the power steering fluid

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Had a great weekend racing at Castle Combe haven't really had time to update he thread much it is onto Oulton Park next on the 27th May for the Tricolore Trophy which should also be a great weekend.

As some of you will be a aware a fellow racer and Clio man had a series accident in race 2 and it on the road to a long recovery.
Please have a read of his story and help where possible.
Feel free to share the link around and get it noticed.
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/craigwalker

Thanks

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Was good to meet you at Combe (I was the one Dave was showing around :smile:) and you seem to go well too mate, looking forward to being on the grid with you later this year.

Can't imagine what Craig and his family must be going through, safe to say we've already made a contribution, and hope to see him fighting fit asap.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Update + Video

So had a successful weekend racing at Oulton park (the local circuit)
Few updates to come on the car in the next month so will add some updates to the thread with new pets for the car!

I have the video for race 1 here started 15th finished 11th I think.

Thanks

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Just had a read through your thread. And I thought I know that drive way......

I bought some used r888's off you at the start of the year

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
UPDATE

So having plunged into the racing seen at the end of last year it has been going really well finding the limits of the car with the little budget I had.

The start of July saw me at Rockingham where I would be lieing if I was to say I came away happy.
The car felt really sluggish around corners on what seems a nice flowing track. The car just wasn't letting me push and was very unstable at times I messed with set up a few times but this didn't help.

Race 2 video is below where I had a good battle with a new MR2 (not where I wanted to be).
A lot of the races in my class in the Tricolore run a diff, AST or Gaz Gold, fiberglass etc etc, I do hold my own on certain tracks that I am familiar with as I have track knowledge but Rockingham j did not and it really showed around 3.5seconds a lap slower than the other production plus cars.

Video below...

So coming away from here I have sold a few of my older parts and bite the bullet with a new set of Gaz Gold from @Mash. and a new hub kit from @NorthloopCup.
Next race is at Donny on the 12th august hopefully I will get a test day or track day there before had to set the car up how I like it and get used to driving again as from what people say the car will be a lot different!

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
UPDATE

So today suspension arrived.
Old suspension was collected to be sent to its new owner along with strut Brace.
Rear ARB being collected on Thursday.

Had a load of fun getting the gmhub nut off the front and the rubbish little grub screws that's hold the discs on....

Then had a nightmare getting the joints off ended up warming it up to get the nut off!

Car currently on axel stands waiting for rear hub spacers to come (10mm) these will be fitted along with 1degree camber shims

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    490.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0520.PNG
    IMG_0520.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 222
  Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Update

So with the race weekend fast approaching at Donnington in the 12th August I have just finished fitting some new bits!

First to go on was the new hubs which look and amazing piece of kit from @NorthloopCup I think it's the first shiny bit to ever get fitted to the car!
Car sits wider and allows me to gain abit more camber so hopefully see some improvements on track.

Second I fitted my new Gaz Gold Coilovers with 600lb spring rates. Hopefully these combined with the nubs will get my lap times down abit. Combined with the increased confidence of running better gear.

Third I put some new front discs on that I had, my old ones were starting to go considering they have been on for a good season and half of track days and races!

Fourth I have skinned the metal bonnet.....it's gone very floppy we will see how it goes and hopefully it won't bend.

And lastly the Clio is going in for a Geo set up and corner weighting today for collection on Friday.

Thanks Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Update

So with the race weekend fast approaching at Donnington in the 12th August I have just finished fitting some new bits!

First to go on was the new hubs which look and amazing piece of kit from @NorthloopCup I think it's the first shiny bit to ever get fitted to the car!
Car sits wider and allows me to gain abit more camber so hopefully see some improvements on track.

Second I fitted my new Gaz Gold Coilovers with 600lb spring rates. Hopefully these combined with the nubs will get my lap times down abit. Combined with the increased confidence of running better gear.

Third I put some new front discs on that I had, my old ones were starting to go considering they have been on for a good season and half of track days and races!

Fourth I have skinned the metal bonnet.....it's gone very floppy we will see how it goes and hopefully it won't bend.

And lastly the Clio is going in for a Geo set up and corner weighting today for collection on Friday.

Thanks Josh

Good work dude, I'll see you at Thruxton in a few weeks, whether we're along side you or spectating is another matter though

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Update

Not really had chance to go through this page much so keeping it short and seeet Racing season finished with a bang literally.... had a great race at Donnington and Thruxton 2 tracks I have never done before and would love to do again!
Went to Silverstone for the last race of the year got a great start however took a hit off the grid which left me with a dinted side (pictures and videos attached)

(Silverstone Crash)
(Silverstone Race 2)
(Thruxton)
https://youtu.be/T8-T2odCVi4 (Thruxton)

https://youtu.be/Y_N0nvPBqUE (Donnington)

Winter Plans
Got myself a new Clio for the standard £50 for some spare panels so need to get these off and on my Clio.... may have spent some money and some nice new fibreglass from Ally Hickling (CCF) cannot fault the service from him.
So I will need to
- fit panels
- new dash going in
- fluids
- discs and pads

And hopefully get this done by February as I have my first test day at Oulton on the 9th all being well.

I am due to have a knee operation (football related - mugs game) which could slow precedings down and I have bought a new house so money is tight however I have bought a steering wheel for the PlayStation for some fun (also known as testing) but yeah looking forward to 2018 and getting back on the grid.

Attachments

• DFB80F98-6EE4-42F8-9D7B-C4B4F5C2CD55.jpeg
    DFB80F98-6EE4-42F8-9D7B-C4B4F5C2CD55.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 83632E14-F1B0-4071-AB1B-5FFF1D59B7EB.jpeg
    83632E14-F1B0-4071-AB1B-5FFF1D59B7EB.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 42070FAA-AE9D-4E6C-B925-7C99B7497E1B.jpeg
    42070FAA-AE9D-4E6C-B925-7C99B7497E1B.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 246
  • DE5F7A51-4974-48E2-80C6-7EC3E7ED55E6.jpeg
    DE5F7A51-4974-48E2-80C6-7EC3E7ED55E6.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 3FB9CC5D-5FFF-4A7A-945F-DCB589BDC445.jpeg
    3FB9CC5D-5FFF-4A7A-945F-DCB589BDC445.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 240
  • B0160606-BD1B-4AF2-918D-6D0C3E81FE88.jpeg
    B0160606-BD1B-4AF2-918D-6D0C3E81FE88.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 243
  • D4F64D98-E41F-4F28-9861-0D2293622E8D.jpeg
    D4F64D98-E41F-4F28-9861-0D2293622E8D.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 238
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Ouch that was a bit of a ding at Silverstone 😧. Moved my 'testing' setup upstairs as the wife had enough of my late night driving antics :wink:.

Hope the op goes well mate, I tore my cruciate ligaments playing football when I was a kid, it's a pain being led up when there's stuff to do